Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #23,328 of 23,458
The headband on that pair looks good actually! The person just seems to have the headphone adjusted with one side fully extended and the other side not, so it looks off center. They seem plenty "plump" to me.
Also are there sonic differences with new HD600 and the marbled ones?
I'm not aware of any difference (aside from the pads) between the sound of the marbled HD600 and new production grey ones. The pads are different though. At some point a revision was made to make them stuffer and more resistant to deformation. It changes the sound a little, brings the ear further from the driver, but it's for the better IMO. Looks like the pads on that pair are pretty worn out, so you'd want to get new pads anyway.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #23,331 of 23,458
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #23,332 of 23,458
I'm starting to keep an eye out for good amp pairings at ~$500. I've found that none of the amplification I've got laying around seems to give these headphones the life I know they're capable of. After unsuccessful attempts to bring out additional clarity, I'm thinking I need to lean into their innate richness with some good ol' fashioned tube distortion (or tube-like solid state). I've got my eye on either a Bottlehead Crack kit or the new xDuoo TA-20. Are these the answer I'm looking for, or are there other alternatives in the ~$500 range?

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #23,333 of 23,458
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #23,334 of 23,458
I'm starting to keep an eye out for good amp pairings at ~$500. I've found that none of the amplification I've got laying around seems to give these headphones the life I know they're capable of. After unsuccessful attempts to bring out additional clarity, I'm thinking I need to lean into their innate richness with some good ol' fashioned tube distortion (or tube-like solid state). I've got my eye on either a Bottlehead Crack kit or the new xDuoo TA-20. Are these the answer I'm looking for, or are there other alternatives in the ~$500 range?
If by “clarity” you mean more “aliveness” to the sound rather than detail retrieval, then yes, the Crack is an amazing pairing. The over-dampening that happens when you use a very low output impedance source with a high impedance dynamic affects that quality. With the Crack, or similarly high output impedance device, the sound is almost unleashed. I find the same with my Auteur and HD8XX, though I still enjoy the more “tame” sound through my solid state amp too.

But if you’re wanting more resolution, I’d suggest upgrading to another headphone. I’ve tried fixing headphones with a better source before. It’s always led to lots of money wasted, and eventually I just upgraded anyway.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #23,335 of 23,458
I have both granvia and altura and although i like granvia i love altura. Sounds better to me and also is more managable.

The granvia is an impressive lookinwise cable but is bit wide and difficult to manage when listening lying in bed sonetimes.

It took me a year to appreciate the difference but now my altura is the number 1 cable for me for the whole sennheiser 6 series.

Always, my personal opinion.

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #23,336 of 23,458
If by “clarity” you mean more “aliveness” to the sound rather than detail retrieval, then yes, the Crack is an amazing pairing. The over-dampening that happens when you use a very low output impedance source with a high impedance dynamic affects that quality. With the Crack, or similarly high output impedance device, the sound is almost unleashed. I find the same with my Auteur and HD8XX, though I still enjoy the more “tame” sound through my solid state amp too.
Ah. That probably explains what I’m hearing. Thanks.

But if you’re wanting more resolution, I’d suggest upgrading to another headphone. I’ve tried fixing headphones with a better source before. It’s always led to lots of money wasted, and eventually I just upgraded anyway.
Yeah, this was my conclusion too. Chasing detail with the HD 600 seems like wasted effort, which is why I’m thinking of something like the Crack amp. Just curious if there are other amps (tube or solid state) in the same price range that bring out the HD 600’s best qualities.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #23,337 of 23,458
Yeah, this was my conclusion too. Chasing detail with the HD 600 seems like wasted effort, which is why I’m thinking of something like the Crack amp. Just curious if there are other amps (tube or solid state) in the same price range that bring out the HD 600’s best qualities.
People mention the Beyerdynamic A20 for a solid state option (haven't heard it myself), but Crack is definitely at the top of that price range for me.

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #23,339 of 23,458
I've heard the 600's on the BHC (stock), my BHCs (mods), XDuoo TA-26 and they all did better than my Rag 1 does. I'm quite sure they were designed on an OTL tube amp.

On my BHCs the 3 blob becomes 5 blobs with more location, the bass is a bit stronger (if slightly wetter than a SS amp). The best thing is that the harmonics wake up and everything sounds fuller/rounder/richer and more liquid.

As for detail the Violectric V-281 and Feliks Echo 2 were the best.

The OG Auteur is superior to the HD-600 in every way, if you want to consider that - crushed my HD-600 on Liquid Platinum about 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #23,340 of 23,458
I've heard the 600's on the BHC (stock), my BHCs (mods), XDuoo TA-26 and they all did better than my Rag 1 does. I'm quite sure they were designed on an OTL tube amp.

On my BHCs the 3 blob becomes 5 blobs with more location, the bass is a bit stronger (if slightly wetter than a SS amp). The best thing is that the harmonics wake up and everything sounds fuller/rounder/richer and more liquid.

As for detail the Violectric V-281 and Feliks Echo 2 were the best.

The OG Auteur is superior to the HD-600 in every way, if you want to consider that - crushed my HD-600 on Liquid Platinum about 6 weeks ago.
I’ve absolutely got the Auteur’s on my long-term wishlist, but it’ll be a while before I can justify the expense. ZMFs are crazy gorgeous. I haven’t spent enough time with a pair to really know what I think of how they sound, but they certainly make a strong first impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back