Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #22,816 of 23,450
I had heard that the marble finish was prone to peeling, but my set that are about 5 years old (bought used) are in perfect condition. Paid a lot more than 50 euros though, congratulations.

The sound will change again with new pads. I would stick with official Sennheiser for the ear pads, the head pad doesn't matter as much, sound-wise.

The inner discs change the sound very much. I kind of like how they sound.

Best place to buy original pads and cheaper? Seems to be Audio Sanctuary from my research. Everywhere else seems to be more expensive or out of stock. Also going to by the headband padding. HD650 headband padding is much cheaper but I want them to look like what they are, hd600s. Also I really like the marble paint. It's a shame they dropped it for a matte look. So classy....

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #22,817 of 23,450
I used audio sanctuary

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #22,818 of 23,450
Put a "want to buy" ad in Classifieds. I bet a lot of people are willing to sell.

You in the uk? I will sell you mine.

ps congrtulations on your new cans :L3000:
Thank you. They are unbelievable natural in my experience. Love them.

No, I in fact live in Mexico. So I guess I must found someone within the north continent side of the continent.

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #22,819 of 23,450
I do not like the marble colour of the old hd600 at all. This is the reason I did not get them before. It was a time in UK around 2017 you can buy a brand new hd600 for as much as buying a 6XX from USA. (With customs and everything) and I knew that even Tyll recommended them over the HD650. But I got the 6XX instead because I preferred the midnight blue even from the old hd650.

I love the new matte version of the HD600, the colour the matte finish and the new molds. The more square edges and the new pads. Only the box is a big step backwards. It stores, protects and it makes a statement. Once my 6XX box fell by mistake in stairs making loops but nothing happened in my headphones. Fully protected.

Not sure why elex should have this big presentation box and HD600 to be in this cartoon box. In the past I thought this is kind of a statement that the 660s is the new king and deserves a proper box so we are cutting the boxes from the other "inferior" 6 series headphones. With the S2 that is no longer true.

While if they kept the box is like a statement: "look guys this a 20 years headphone but still we considering it as a king" and not like "we wanted to discontinue this headphone but since you still ask for it here it is..."

Nowadays the only 6 series headphone with the matte finish, the new square edges molds, the new pads and the old presentation box is the 660s (and a bunch of cables) ...but not for much longer...

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #22,820 of 23,450
I had the big presentation box with the 660s (now sold), and now with the hd600. I could do without it tbh, just a big box that I'm only keeping hold of in case I ever sell the headphones. I have lots of empty boxes cluttering up my home...

Used prices seem to take a big hit if the headphones do not have the original boxes, so as a buyer, these are the ones I look out for. Bargains to be had.

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #22,821 of 23,450
I do not like the marble colour of the old hd600 at all. This is the reason I did not get them before. It was a time in UK around 2017 you can buy a brand new hd600 for as much as buying a 6XX from USA. (With customs and everything) and I knew that even Tyll recommended them over the HD650. But I got the 6XX instead because I preferred the midnight blue even from the old hd650.

I love the new matte version of the HD600, the colour the matte finish and the new molds. The more square edges and the new pads. Only the box is a big step backwards. It stores, protects and it makes a statement. Once my 6XX box fell by mistake in stairs making loops but nothing happened in my headphones. Fully protected.

Not sure why elex should have this big presentation box and HD600 to be in this cartoon box. In the past I thought this is kind of a statement that the 660s is the new king and deserves a proper box so we are cutting the boxes from the other "inferior" 6 series headphones. With the S2 that is no longer true.

While if they kept the box is like a statement: "look guys this a 20 years headphone but still we considering it as a king" and not like "we wanted to discontinue this headphone but since you still ask for it here it is..."

Nowadays the only 6 series headphone with the matte finish, the new square edges molds, the new pads and the old presentation box is the 660s (and a bunch of cables) ...but not for much longer...
Over time I’ve had the marbled, sold em, bought grey ones, found them boring (in appearance) among my other HD 6 cans, sold em, found a real nice marbled one, it even had good pads, bought it. I quite like the “porcelain laundry tub“ finish and wont be selling again.

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #22,822 of 23,450
Over time I’ve had the marbled, sold em, bought grey ones, found them boring (in appearance) among my other HD 6 cans, sold em, found a real nice marbled one, it even had good pads, bought it. I quite like the “porcelain laundry tub“ finish and wont be selling again.
I understand.

But is not so much the colour I like is the matte texture finish.

The 660s/s2 has also this matte finish which I find particularly appealing and not the black colour per se.

Because the 58X is also black but has this glossy finish which I do not like at all.

I used to like the midnight colour of the 6XX which is kind of a matte but not anymore because I find my 660s and new version 600 much more beautiful and love the texture of the finish when I touch them.

So yes is a personal taste but the emphasis is on the matte texture finish than the colour per se.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #22,823 of 23,450
When you see enough people saying the same thing over time about scalability and then you experience it yourself, you know. Your ears are the best judge. I was skeptical too.
Seeing enough people saying the same thing can actually be a problem. It may make you experience things that really are not there. While the experience may be genuine the proposed reasons behind the experience are not necessarily that.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #22,824 of 23,450
What I don’t understand is why you would want headphones which are so so sensitive to amplifiers?

to me , that is not good design.

I dont want to search high and low to find some amp that perfectly matches my headphones.

just my opinion of course.
With speakers and headphones the "game" is primarily the transducers.

With planar headphones and speakers - it seems from very long experience, that current is what's needed, so that makes some amp types, and lower capacity amps not useful. So, I should buy a more generic transducer because it's easier to drive? In headphones, I found the X00 Mahogany, MD-4XX, HFM-400*, to not really scale up with better equipment. Is that good design, or the fact that none of them is notable in many categories of sound that I value - because they are essentially "meh"?

A user that doesn't want to maximize for sound they believe to be accurate or likeable - is probably better off with gear that by reputation or experience is easy to drive and un-problematic. That's fine. That's not where I am. I can't relax, enjoy, or experience profound emotions with gear that isn't somewhere fairly near to musically revealing. I'm good with this, and you should be good with your judgements in this area - but, that doesn't mean since we come from different places that my way or your way is wrong - just different.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #22,825 of 23,450
I wonder if the often mentioned scalability of these phone has ever been demonstrated. There is no technical reason for it and practical evidence is very thin on the ground. In the real world the greatest improvements take place on the lower steps of the scale but after that the law of the diminishing returns kicks in. Yet the iphone dongle sounds essentially the same as my separate amp.
My HD-600 (circa 2016) sounds fundamentally different and better on the XDUOO T-26, widely available retail - built for $319, than on my Ragnarok 1 ($1695 circa 2016), or the Bryston BHA-1 ($1395 OG price). The kit OTL amp stock ($369 u build it), is better with the 600 IMO, or the speedball option with some tube rolling and caps (~$700) is better yet.

A FR and THD comparison isn't going to reveal much - that isn't known. If you like classical, or mids heavy well recorded music, you should have no trouble hearing a difference - and that's the sweet spot of the HD-600.

What is your equipment chain? What do you listen too?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #22,826 of 23,450
Seeing enough people saying the same thing can actually be a problem. It may make you experience things that really are not there. While the experience may be genuine the proposed reasons behind the experience are not necessarily that.

Isn't listening to the experience of others a big part of this hobby to help us know what to purchase? Isn't that the point of this site? I trust my ears and experience of having owned these headphones over a period of years and having tried them w different amps, but I sorely needed guidance. I'm glad it was here for me. I think you missed the part where i typed i was skeptical. With that as my state of mind and my expectations low, being proven wrong about scalability and amp matching is something i did not foresee. It happened though. You should trust your own ears and experience. All I can do is share my own.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #22,828 of 23,450
Quick question, hope someone here has the solution...

I like to listen to music in bed for a hour before sleep. I don't sleep in headphones if it can be avoided :)

When laying down, wearing the hd600's, the back edge of the cup rim come into contact with the pillow & it causes an iratating creaking noise (this isn't the normal creak you sometimes get with Sennheisers). It's caused by friction between the frame and the pillow. I had the same issue with a pair of 660s I used to own.

I have tried changing the material of the pillowcase, everything from cotton to silk (sexy, I know). Only things that works is to rest head on a narrow pad of material (folded towel) which avoids contact with the headphone rim. This works, but the unsupported headphones tend to slip down my head, requiring frequent adjustment.

I can't be the only one ?

Any genius, tried & tested solutions ?
I also like to listen while going to sleep and was irritated by the same creaking noise as well. I put a strip of electrical tape along the cups (the side that goes on the pillow) and problem solved. Not sexy, but the creaky noise is gone. The tape was a bit to wide, so I just cut it slimmer before attaching it.

edit: spelling

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #22,829 of 23,450
I also like to listen while going to sleep and was irritated by the same creaking noise as well. I put a strip of electrical tape along the cups (the side that goes on the pillow) and problem solved. Not sexy, but the creaky noise is gone. The tape was a bit to wide, so I just cut it slimmer before attaching it.

edit: spelling
Thank you, I will give it a go. I have previously tried Sellotape, masking tape & packing tape !

Electrical tape is the one with the rubber-like surface ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back