Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #22,801 of 23,456
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #22,803 of 23,456
What I don’t understand is why you would want headphones which are so so sensitive to amplifiers?

to me , that is not good design.

I dont want to search high and low to find some amp that perfectly matches my headphones.

just my opinion of course.

The point you're missing is regarding the scalability of these HPs. You don't need a great or wonderfully matched amp for them to sound good, but you will be rewarded if you pair the 600/650 w the right amp. They can go from sounding pretty good to god tier.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #22,804 of 23,456
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #22,806 of 23,456
Done. It worked. I did not suck on it though. Used a vaccum cleaner (gently). Problem is that it is now showing the marks from being bent. It's on the inside, like its starting to crack. But there's nothing I can do about that now.

In terms of Sonic performance everything seems fine though.

What does this part do? It's only protecting the driver or does it influence the sound in any way?

TY

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #22,807 of 23,456
The point you're missing is regarding the scalability of these HPs. You don't need a great or wonderfully matched amp for them to sound good, but you will be rewarded if you pair the 600/650 w the right amp. They can go from sounding pretty good to god tier.
I wonder if the often mentioned scalability of these phone has ever been demonstrated. There is no technical reason for it and practical evidence is very thin on the ground. In the real world the greatest improvements take place on the lower steps of the scale but after that the law of the diminishing returns kicks in. Yet the iphone dongle sounds essentially the same as my separate amp.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #22,808 of 23,456
You should try 600 on a OTL amp like bagwell said. I would add tube/SS hybrid is a huge jump in sound quality as well. It makes a big difference. It's not anything you'll understand until you hear it for yourself. And the 600 can be under-driven on SS even good ones. I've heard it on what I'd consider to be pretty powerful SS amps I've owned, such as the CMA Twelve Master, and that just doesn't do the job like my Liquid Platinum. The Liquid Platinum/600 combo is so good it'll make you cry haha. But I didn't understand the difference until i heard it for myself.
Adding a tube amp quite possibly changes the sound and you might like the changes, of course. But there is a risk that you are actually adding an effects box in the signal chain instead of helping the headphones to reach their potential.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #22,809 of 23,456
I wonder if the often mentioned scalability of these phone has ever been demonstrated. There is no technical reason for it and practical evidence is very thin on the ground. In the real world the greatest improvements take place on the lower steps of the scale but after that the law of the diminishing returns kicks in. Yet the iphone dongle sounds essentially the same as my separate amp.

When you see enough people saying the same thing over time about scalability and then you experience it yourself, you know. Your ears are the best judge. I was skeptical too.

There are some prominent people in the reviews business that I respect promulgating this idea a dongle is all you need for the 600/650 and sure that may be correct. But what if I need to feel more than what a dongle can do? 600/650 has something for me if I want to go for more. This important aspect of these classic headphones is lost on these newer reviewers I feel.

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #22,810 of 23,456
As i said yesterday I got a pair of HD 600's for 50 euros.
This ones are black cloth ones so they may be at least 10 year olds. Padding needs to be completely replaced but still for the price I think it was worth it. It's a shame the previous owner had the drivers unprotected without the inner foam but to my surprise they sound absolutely perfect despite the part that I bent (see posts above) being now closer to white than transparent. Probably due to being exposed.
Finally I could compare against my hd6xxs and i definitely prefer the less veiled and more crystalisne sound of the 600s. Sound is very close but you notice a slight veil on the sound of the 6xx and that the vocals and overall sound is not as transparent. But I will do new testing when I get both with new padding. The h600 haver much more worn pads and since they have no inner foam this may make them more transparent than they are supposed to be with proper padding.
When thing I am surprised though is that the paint is absolutely immaculate. I had a pair of hd600s Wich i sold 2 years ago because those ones have me some kind of tinnitus feeling (buzzing on my ears) after listening for about 5 minutes with them. Those ones were marble but one of the latest ones (bought new in 2019). I babied them like hell and and still the paint started to chip.
These old one are perfect on the marble painting. The painting seems to be better on the old hd600s.

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #22,811 of 23,456
I had heard that the marble finish was prone to peeling, but my set that are about 5 years old (bought used) are in perfect condition. Paid a lot more than 50 euros though, congratulations.

The sound will change again with new pads. I would stick with official Sennheiser for the ear pads, the head pad doesn't matter as much, sound-wise.

py58ezxmkh6mv1jtxjwt.jpg

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #22,812 of 23,456
I had heard that the marble finish was prone to peeling, but my set that are about 5 years old (bought used) are in perfect condition. Paid a lot more than 50 euros though, congratulations.

The sound will change again with new pads. I would stick with official Sennheiser for the ear pads, the head pad doesn't matter as much, sound-wise.

py58ezxmkh6mv1jtxjwt.jpg
I've had a pair of HD 600s for at least 20 years now and there is no evidence whatsoever of peeling.

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #22,814 of 23,456
Just got them and are now my favorite headphones. The naturality is amazing. So organic.

One question tho… is anywhere I can purchase an official Sennheiser storage box? like the one that came with the 6xx… 😢
Put a "want to buy" ad in Classifieds. I bet a lot of people are willing to sell.

You in the uk? I will sell you mine.

ps congrtulations on your new cans :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #22,815 of 23,456
Quick question, hope someone here has the solution...

I like to listen to music in bed for a hour before sleep. I don't sleep in headphones if it can be avoided :)

When laying down, wearing the hd600's, the back edge of the cup rim come into contact with the pillow & it causes an iratating creaking noise (this isn't the normal creak you sometimes get with Sennheisers). It's caused by friction between the frame and the pillow. I had the same issue with a pair of 660s I used to own.

I have tried changing the material of the pillowcase, everything from cotton to silk (sexy, I know). Only things that works is to rest head on a narrow pad of material (folded towel) which avoids contact with the headphone rim. This works, but the unsupported headphones tend to slip down my head, requiring frequent adjustment.

I can't be the only one ?

Any genius, tried & tested solutions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back