Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #22,591 of 23,456
What about the ‘squared off’ yokes, and the 3 dots on the front of the left yoke instead of the side? The newer version actually looks a bit more robust (and industrial), but still, they were different.
I don't know, I didn't look into it that much. But I'm old-skool and just plain old. I don't like anything new, on general principle :wink:

Jan 1, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #22,593 of 23,456
Jan 1, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #22,594 of 23,456
Each to their own but there's no need to endure years of discomfort with these. Unless you are a commited masochist.

It's a 2 minute to stretch them for comfort. Fully extend the headphones and gently straighten the metal part and the metal part only, one side at time using the thumb and forefingers of both hands. No damage is possible. Repeat as necessary, no damage is possible.

I thought this was commonly known practice. The result from day one is the most comfortable headphone I've worn.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #22,596 of 23,456
You didn't seriously think I endured 25 years of discomfort before I began enjoying my HD600's, did you?
Like driving an old Porsche - awesome fun, but you gotta pay for that fun in discomfort.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #22,597 of 23,456
You didn't seriously think I endured 25 years of discomfort before I began enjoying my HD600's, did you?
I wouldn't know, as I said; each to their own. Whatever turns you on / floats your boat etc etc 😉

Jan 2, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #22,598 of 23,456
Each to their own but there's no need to endure years of discomfort with these. Unless you are a commited masochist.

It's a 2 minute to stretch them for comfort. Fully extend the headphones and gently straighten the metal part and the metal part only, one side at time using the thumb and forefingers of both hands. No damage is possible. Repeat as necessary, no damage is possible.

I thought this was commonly known practice. The result from day one is the most comfortable headphone I've worn.
Same. They are very comfortable.

Jan 2, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #22,599 of 23,456
I don't know, I didn't look into it that much. But I'm old-skool and just plain old. I don't like anything Frankensteinean on general principle :wink:
36902E4F-ACFE-42AC-B989-8AD0E28CC5A0.jpeg
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 🧟‍♂️🤣

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #22,600 of 23,456

I know you didn't do those instructions with your 440 XD. Those old ultrasone headband on the 440/660/860. Even with the utmost care, you'll always have a scare. Snapped 2 of them just putting it on.

The new senny seems to still retain the robustness and no doubt it will last decades.

Like driving an old Porsche - awesome fun, but you gotta pay for that fun in discomfort.

I think for most average sized heads, once it breaks in a little.. They have supreme comfort.

It's nice to be able to take the new drivers and also put them back on the older wider headband as well. Such options do not exist with other headphones to mod to such level without any tools.

The new moulds seem to have very tight tolerances from driver to grills. Just built solid.

Wish Porsche kept the 930s like Sennheiser keeps their 600 line XD

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #22,601 of 23,456
The HD600 turns 26 this year. Ten years ago, Tyll Hertsens, the highly regarded and now retired headphone audio critic wrote this review entitled

“The Very Important Sennheiser HD580, HD600, and HD650“.

It appeared in his regular column on Innerfidelity and Stereophile.

Periodically, I love going back to read this review again, especially the last paragraph on the first page which deals specifically with the HD600. Here it is :

Fondness and Contempt
Maybe I'm making too big a deal of this, but human nature is human nature. We've all heard the sayings: "familiarity breeds contempt" and "absence makes the heart grow fonder." The HD 600 has been with us for a long time...we're very familiar with it. I know I often take them for granted; I know when I reach for them I'm not expecting the excitement of something new. At some level I'm bored with them. Stupid human.
When I put them on to listen though, I'm suddenly struck with the need to face my prejudice. I'm swept away with the music. Simply put, this is one of the world's best headphones. I think we've always known that; it's just taken us a long time to allow ourselves to feel it.

~Tyll Hertsens, March 13, 2013

Yes, this was written ten years ago & I personally believe that it still applies today. The HD600 is that great of a headphone. At any price.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #22,604 of 23,456
A powerful SS Amp will drive your Sennheiser to sonic :musical_note: peaks :mountain:

edited --> @jonathan c did I rip off the mountain emoji from you? Seemed like an original idea in the moment - was likely not, ha! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_1872.jpeg

The mountain emoji was not from me….Coors / Molson might be after your a$$….🤣🤣🤣

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #22,605 of 23,456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back