Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #21,961 of 23,464
I'm sure this is mentioned ad nauseum, but does anyone prefer the 600 over the 650/6xx series, and why?
Yes, I do. The HD650/6xx sounds too rolled off. The HD600 also has stronger imaging and separates instruments better.

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #21,962 of 23,464
I'm sure this is mentioned ad nauseum, but does anyone prefer the 600 over the 650/6xx series, and why?
I haven't heard the 650/6XX and I don't have any interest. Go with the original. New and improved never happens :wink:

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #21,963 of 23,464
I own both and I enjoy both (and I like my old 580s too - THOSE are the true OG). If I had to choose only one it would probably be the 600, which is certainly the cleanest and most accurate, but it is also the most demanding - it will not happily tolerate any shortcomings in your source or amp. Give it plenty of juice (I like class A solid state; many here prefer OTL tubes), and the 600 can be a world beater. But if you’re not prepared to feed it properly, you might be better off with the more forgiving and cheaper 6xx - although, IMHO, it too benefits from better amplification. For full disclosure, I’ve never heard the 6xx, only the Ireland 650, but I accept arguendo that they are basically the same.

Also, my Sennheisers are all modified with aftermarket hybrid pads and the rear foam disc (behind the driver) is removed. My 600s also sport the custom cans copper weight mod, which further improves bass (the one area where I think they need a little extra help), speed and clarity - I highly recommend it.

Not that I haven’t already gone on too long, but the 580s are my work headphones, connected to a Burson HA-160DS USB dac direct to the iMac on my desk; the 650s are connected to a Soloist SL in my modest bedside system and provide a luscious, warm kiss goodnight, even simply playing Spotify through a 24/96 ‘upsampling’ Bluetooth dac; and the 600s get place of pride in the main system driven by a full Soloist which is fed by the tape out of my 200wpc plinius integrated, and gets to play sources like an SME turntable with a Lyra cartridge, and a naim CD player with a flatcap2 power supply. They all sound lovely in their respective positions, none of which is cast in stone - variety being the spice of life and all that (and yes, I like old Burson amps).

Anyway, there’s no magic bullet and no one answer for everyone, and MUCH depends on your amp with a 300 ohm dynamic headphone. You’ve got to try both in YOUR system, with YOUR music - only then will you know for certain.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #21,965 of 23,464
Love the 600 for voclas and acoustic music. But my andromeda get way more time in my ears. Always blown away when i hear the 600s though. Only use them a couple times every month. They are the standard to all headphones. Hard to beat for the price and comfort.
It is always a good choice! What do you use with the HD-600?

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #21,967 of 23,464
I use a mojo and senn HDV820, its a great amp. So much detail and space. How boit you whats your rig? Ive been on the solaris 2020 and the mojo using tidal MQA and DSD.
When I have the HD-600 going, I use a Woo WA2 (tube / OTL) which matches wonderfully with the 300 ohm impedance of the HD-600:
F0AAAA99-5981-4137-8819-08DDC52D9500.jpeg

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #21,968 of 23,464
I first bought the HD6XX and really tried to like them, but to my ears they where severly muffled and grainy sounding. I lost interest for Sennheisers a while. Later I got HD600 for cheap. I instantly liked them for their midrange, they sounded way more clean to my ears than HD6XX.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #21,969 of 23,464
I just replaced the pads on my HD600. The old pads weren't in bad shape, but I wanted to wash them so I decided to put on the new pads I bought a while back. The sound is noticeably crisper with the new pads.

Does anyone know if you can at least rinse the foam sheets that cover the drivers (right behind the pads) without them falling apart?

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #21,970 of 23,464
I just replaced the pads on my HD600. The old pads weren't in bad shape, but I wanted to wash them so I decided to put on the new pads I bought a while back. The sound is noticeably crisper with the new pads.

Does anyone know if you can at least rinse the foam sheets that cover the drivers (right behind the pads) without them falling apart?
You could replace them…with foam or something more sheer…your own mod!

Feb 25, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #21,971 of 23,464

I use an old “soft” toothbrush w/ a bit of lukewarm water. Gently brush vertically and most of the small hair & whatever else usually comes off easily.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #21,973 of 23,464
I was looking for the Sennheiser HD 600 appreciation thread and couldn't find it, so here it is.
smile.gif

When recently listening to some of the current flagship headphones (at time of writing this includes the Sennheiser HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1), each of the stockists I went to had the HD 600 on hand. Having never heard the HD 600 before, I decided to try them. Whilst the flagships 'wowed' me in many ways and microscopically revealed details I'd never before heard in music that I'd listened to for years, I found myself coming back to the neutral-sounding presentation of the HD 600, which worked really well with every recording I heard through them and have since heard through them since purchasing them. For me, there's little to fault with the HD 600.

I love the HD 600 - they're awesome!
smile_phones.gif
I'm currently using an HD 600. This headphone has been serving me well to be honest. I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back