Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #21,872 of 23,501
The Sennheiser HD-600 with: Custom Cans cnc backweight / foam modifications, Norne Audio Vygarde HPC, Woo Audio WA2 (OTL h/p/a) presents an engaging & enjoyable soundstage. No constriction.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #21,873 of 23,501
Funny, I find the sound stage on my 600's almost too wide. (The widest of the 6 series) I don't think I would want it to be any wider. Maybe it's my vintage amp, which has a wider soundstage than budget SS amps I've heard. (And yes, I know you're not using a budget SS amp :))
That's what I found. On amps such as a Drop LCX, Topping A90, or THX AAA789, it's the soundstage everyone talks about (confined). On The Audio GD Master 19 (9 wpc) into each ear cup, it's spacious and open. On my Vintage KaiJu (Speaker Taps of Sanyo JCX 2900K), it's wide, open, spacious.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #21,874 of 23,501
SS (Bryston, v281, Rag) = blobs

My heavily moded BHCs (and friends stock BHCs) yields a 5 part stage (better), that does not vary in configuration even with diff performers/styles (amps fault).

My HEX v2 & heavily modified HE-500 both have much better stages. My HE-6se? Not a strong point, maybe worse.

Historically soundstage is the number 3 complaint against the 600. #1 weak bass #2 bright/hot treble (or some spots).

Clearly the most common reason would be SS amps lacking some trait(s). But all cases?

As far as vintage SS class AB recievers - I've owned many amps and heard more, and my last great amp was a Pass X150 (sliding bias class A) which I AB'd vs my Rag (sliding bias class A) and the Rag preamp had a slight L-R constriction, and the amp didn't quite detail the mid treble as well as the X150/Pass P.

From that I'm pretty sure my Rag bea all or almost all SS non class A receivers - only comeback would seem to be euphonic colorations.

Set-up: LG v40, Oyide, BHCs, Custom Cables, 600 (slight dynamat treatment, newish stock pads)

Now the fact the the 600 sounds much better on my OTL vs my Rag is another story. Rag on paper puts out 3x the power.

So as always - each to his own. Except I really like my 600 on my OTL amp - even with the imperfect soundstage. Note: problems #1 and #2 greatly mitigated by BHCs. Toss in EQ (mild) and 1 & 2 banished. No help for #3.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #21,876 of 23,501
The new earpads from Sennheiser are made to be within 1 dB of the old ones..which is about as close to identical as you’re going to get.
The newer pads though are more robust and keep their shape much better than the old ones..which was the main reason for the update: now you get to keep the ideal sound quality for a longer period before the pads deflate and make the drivers come closer to your ears…which alters the presentation. The new pads will effectively keep intact the sound quality for a longer period, and peeps like myself who consider themselves Sennie fans don’t have to buy new pads every year in order to maintain the sound we love so dearly.
So far the new pads have delivered what they promised. I was initially a little worried though because…well Sennheiser really shouldn’t be messing with my baby. It’s alright though..they obviously know what they’re doing:)
Put another way? The sound you love with the older pads is the same as the one found in the new ones.

Edith: BTW if you haven’t tried swapping to a set of fresh pads, be warned, you’re going to experience some differences..but that’s perfectly normal. Pads are the single biggest factor in changing how any headphone sounds. They’re effectively ‘the room’ in which you place the speakers.
I remember the first time I put new pads on my 600. Holy moly! It was as if I’d gotten a brand new 600 in the door…but that’s basically what a pad change does: it returns the headphone to it’s factory tuning.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #21,877 of 23,501
In contrast to many, I`ve found the HD600 (stock) bass to be very good and sufficient. I really don`t find it lacking at all (even while producing EDM-style music, but I usually check the deepest sub bass with speakers). The highs I perceive to be pretty neutral (even being a Audeze fanboy). Soundstage is the only thing I find to be a bit lacking on the cans.

And I really like the sound of worn out pads better than fresh ones. I hear the mids to be even better and sweeter with flat, worn pads.

I use my HD600 with Schiit Asgard 2 and Bottlehead S.E.X. with C4S upgrade.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #21,879 of 23,501
In contrast to many, I`ve found the HD600 (stock) bass to be very good and sufficient. I really don`t find it lacking at all (even while producing EDM-style music, but I usually check the deepest sub bass with speakers). The highs I perceive to be pretty neutral (even being a Audeze fanboy). Soundstage is the only thing I find to be a bit lacking on the cans.

And I really like the sound of worn out pads better than fresh ones. I hear the mids to be even better and sweeter with flat, worn pads.

I use my HD600 with Schiit Asgard 2 and Bottlehead S.E.X. with C4S upgrade.
The bass is good or very good in some aspects. It's quick and honest sounding. However it is short about two octaves at the bottom AND the plastic housing vibrates with the bass. Add EQ to add bass u get more vibrations. Add dynamat and it quiets the vibrations which now means when u add bass EQ (within reason) you are getting accurate bass with close to perfect Q. But in stock form u cannot get these characteristics.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #21,880 of 23,501
HD600's, to me, are still the best Sennheiser. Even though the HD800 had so many advancements, i still feel the tonality, and proportionality of the midrange, in the HD600, was the most natural Sennheiser ever produced. If only the HD800 wasn't slightly recessed from 900z to around 3k, and had better bass response, it might be the best headphone on earth. Until then, the 600 was their best offering. here's to hoping they get the HD850 right.

HD600 is what made sennheiser a household name in the pro audio business. And subsequent sales of their supposed predecessors, is mainly due to how great the HD600 was for its time, and frankly, always will be.

The HD600, is like the MDR-7506 & MDR-V6....it'll likely be in production for decades to come, and for good reason.
I still feel exactly the same lol

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #21,881 of 23,501
I still feel exactly the same lol
HD600's, to me, are still the best Sennheiser. Even though the HD800 had so many advancements, i still feel the tonality, and proportionality of the midrange, in the HD600, was the most natural Sennheiser ever produced.

@alpha80 : you wrote the above close to 7 years ago and you mention above that you still feel the same.

So do I, 100%. I’ve owned the HD800 on at least five different occasions but always ended up selling them. I kept buying them again after getting different audio gear believing they would sound much better with the new gear. It never happened for me but, I’ve never been without an HD600, since 2003.

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #21,882 of 23,501
HD600's, to me, are still the best Sennheiser. Even though the HD800 had so many advancements, i still feel the tonality, and proportionality of the midrange, in the HD600, was the most natural Sennheiser ever produced.

@alpha80 : you wrote the above close to 7 years ago and you mention above that you still feel the same.

So do I, 100%. I’ve owned the HD800 on at least five different occasions but always ended up selling them. I kept buying them again after getting different audio gear believing they would sound much better with the new gear. It never happened for me but, I’ve never been without an HD600, since 2003.
There are some HD 800 in the classifieds, time to buy them again :wink:

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #21,883 of 23,501
I’ve owned the 800 thrice, one of which was the modern S version. Very spacious and ‘wowing’ at first, which probably is why I’ve rebought it a couple of times…but alas the very same things that initially wowed me about the presentation always ends up irritating me…which is the exact same process I go through with Focals. I go from ‘wow’ to ‘what is that?!’…and sell off the headphone fairly quickly thereafter.
It’s been fun, sure..but I am not falling for that again!
*fingers crossed*
😆🤪

Long story short? I’d honestly much rather listen to the 580 or the 600:)

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #21,884 of 23,501
I’ve owned the 800 thrice, one of which was the modern S version. Very spacious and ‘wowing’ at first, which probably is why I’ve rebought it a couple of times…but alas the very same things that initially wowed me about the presentation always ends up irritating me…which is the exact same process I go through with Focals. I go from ‘wow’ to ‘what is that?!’…and sell off the headphone fairly quickly thereafter.
It’s been fun, sure..but I am not falling for that again!
*fingers crossed*
😆🤪

Long story short? I’d honestly much rather listen to the 580 or the 600:)
Terriero is tempting you... :relieved: Just listen to Willow OST with the HD 800... :beerchug:

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #21,885 of 23,501
It’s alright my friend - I am perfectly capable of tempting myself😂
I know full well how awesome an album like Dead Can Dance’s Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun sounds over the 800, S version or not. Hand on heart: I’ve probably never heard that album portrayed better over any other headphone.
…but it’s still very much a ‘niche-headphone’ for me that only really works with these aerie faerie-type of albums with wafting ethereal moods….and still, being the right type of music isn’t enough either if it’s not impeccably recorded. The 800 is ruthless on poor production jobs. Again the very same qualities that highlight the wafting ethereal material end up ruining albums with similar music on them..but aren’t up to snuff production-wise.

I still kinda love it though…I am however strongly trying to resist buying it again. I know what happens after the honeymoon so to speak😛

Edith: let’s get back to the 600✊
I was listening to Mike Oldfield’s Incantations over the 600 here the other day immediately forgetting about the fact that I was wearing headphones.
…which kinda neatly sums up the 600 for me: so natural sounding that I’m “just” left with the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back