Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #21,856 of 23,499
Please, don’t make a conclusion if you haven’t heard or measured an old unit vs a new one.
I don’t know what this is supposed to mean, since KP CLEARLY did say that he compared them, but now I’ve just wasted 5 minutes of my life hearing that song from Frozen and I blame YOU. 🤬

The people who habituate this thread generally play nice and, at the very least, treat each other with respect. If you can’t manage that, then please go over to the Schiit thread where ignorance is encouraged, even rewarded. 😇

Meanwhile, back on topic, my modified marble HD600s went up against the HD8XX and the HD660S this week, and I’m happy to report that the 600s retained their spot in the main rig and, they also got a new cable - moon-audio blue dragon - at the inadvertent recommendation of @equalspeace. Idk if I’d recommend the blue dragon at the retail asking price, but I’m loving it at $120 for a 15 footer on eBay. That’s long enough to reach across the room from the couch to the amp without an extension cable, and it sounds great - Woohoo!

38249B2D-FD1A-4505-8A73-37B4309AB3F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #21,857 of 23,499
I don’t know what this is supposed to mean, since KP CLEARLY did say that he compared them, but now I’ve just wasted 5 minutes of my life hearing that song from Frozen and I blame YOU. 🤬

The people who habituate this thread generally play nice and, at the very least, treat each other with respect. If you can’t manage that, then please go over to the Schiit thread where ignorance is encouraged, even rewarded. 😇
Hey…Schiitheads do not always live up to their name…🤪😳😄

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #21,858 of 23,499
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #21,859 of 23,499
Hey…Schiitheads do not always live up to their name…🤪😳😄
I got kicked off that thread because one of the Schiit fanboys went nuts after I had the temerity to mention that I had just experienced mechanical problems with two separate units and, of course, the head Schiithead (@Jason Stoddard) sided with the fanboy and booted me from the thread for allegedly being a troublemaker. Then he ignored my PMs. So I have a little ax to grind when it comes to Schiit. Nothing personal to you, I assure you.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #21,860 of 23,499
I got kicked off that thread because one of the Schiit fanboys went nuts after I had the temerity to mention that I had just experienced mechanical problems with two separate units and, of course, the head Schiithead sided with the fanboy and booted me from the thread for allegedly being a troublemaker. Then he ignored my PMs. So I have a little ax to grind when it comes to Schiit. Nothing personal to you, I assure you.
I know that…….besides, anyone who loves the HD600/HD650 with the cnc-backweight / foam modifications is > OK…😄

Dec 21, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #21,861 of 23,499
I know that…….besides, anyone who loves the HD600/HD650 with the cnc-backweight / foam modifications is > OK…😄
In fact, I’m chewing on grabbing a used Lyr 2 despite my personal ethical and intellectual reservations about @Jason Stoddard, just because the darn thing (Lyr OG) sounded so good before it started munching tubes; but munch tubes it did. One of the (many) reasons I went all SS after 40 years as an all tube analog guy.

Dec 21, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #21,862 of 23,499

Meanwhile, back on topic, my modified marble HD600s went up against the HD8XX and the HD660S this week, and I’m happy to report that the 600s retained their spot in the main rig and, they also got a new cable - moon-audio blue dragon - at the inadvertent recommendation of @equalspeace. Idk if I’d recommend the blue dragon at the retail asking price, but I’m loving it at $120 for a 15 footer on eBay. That’s long enough to reach across the room from the couch to the amp without an extension cable, and it sounds great - Woohoo!

38249B2D-FD1A-4505-8A73-37B4309AB3F3.jpeg
But... you didn't answer to the most important question:

How "Let it go" sounds with your HD 600? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #21,865 of 23,499
How does the HD 600 compare against the Focal Clear. On an other forum, people say the Focal Clear is simply a super HD 600.

So there is no point of buying the HD 600 then if someone already has a Focal Clear?

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #21,866 of 23,499
People say a lot of different things though.
I personally sold off my Clear because I prefered my 600. All and every openback Focal comes with a peak around 6k..and the Clear also has a bit of ‘estat-honk’ in the mids. The 600 doesn’t have anything of the sort and comes off sounding completely natural and smooth.

Edith: BTW I’m pretty sure most folks call the Clear a ‘super 650’ and the Utopia a ‘super 600’. The Clear is the warmer can whereas the Utopia is more linear. Same story with the Sennies: 600 is the neutral and more natural sounding headphone, whereas the 650 is warmer and slightly more romantic sounding.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #21,867 of 23,499
How does the HD 600 compare against the Focal Clear. On an other forum, people say the Focal Clear is simply a super HD 600.

So there is no point of buying the HD 600 then if someone already has a Focal Clear?

Personally I can't listen to the Focals. I wouldn't take one for free. They don't have any of the natural sound of the Sennheiser 6-series. Just my taste.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #21,868 of 23,499

No, they are two different headphones. HD600 has a unique sound stage which is "perfect" for classic music. On the other hand, if you love Focal series, go for Utopia. Clear or Clear Pro is bit lame...I personally prefer TH900 or even my poor D7000 over Clear Pro though Utopia is clearly the best for all-round listening, except for classic.

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #21,869 of 23,499

I think a well driven HD600 can compete with the best of them, for a specific genre of music. I favor Jazz Vocals, so naturally I enjoy the HD600. When I run it on the Audio GD Master 19, the soundstage opens up and the vocals become it's key phenomenon. Everything else falls out of focus the same way the subject is the key phenomenon when using a 50mm F1.0 lens wide open. The Focal Clear MG is different. It lends itself to be better suited for all genres of music, and it does them well. It reproduces bass more akin to that of a good speaker. It slams like a good speaker. They both have their lanes, and a position to play on the team. For me, saying one is better than the other is like saying the line backer is better than the safety.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #21,870 of 23,499
No, they are two different headphones. HD600 has a unique sound stage which is "perfect" for classic music. On the other hand, if you love Focal series, go for Utopia. Clear or Clear Pro is bit lame...I personally prefer TH900 or even my poor D7000 over Clear Pro though Utopia is clearly the best for all-round listening, except for classic.
600 great headphone with a poor soundstage. Better on OTL amps, but still, far from great - classical or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back