Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #21,751 of 23,456
I think you and I agree more than we disagree, but I am less inclined to give the average poster the benefit of the doubt. Based on many of the questions I read on these threads, I do think there are a whole slew of guys plugging quality cans (like hd600s) into the jacks on their computers or iphones and blaming the headphones for the poor quality sound. Those are the guys I’m talking to, not the guys who already have a decent quality amp. Maybe I’m too cynical, but I make my judgments based on the posts I read that just make me shake my head.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #21,752 of 23,456
I think you and I agree more than we disagree, but I am less inclined to give the average poster the benefit of the doubt. Based on many of the questions I read on these threads, I do think there are a whole slew of guys plugging quality cans (like hd600s) into the jacks on their computers or iphones and blaming the headphones for the poor quality sound. Those are the guys I’m talking to, not the guys who already have a decent quality amp. Maybe I’m too cynical, but I make my judgments based on the posts I read that just make me shake my head.
I agree. My view on the HD-600 is that I have never heard it in full bloom on anything other than a OTL tube amp. Even on my "mighty" Rag 1 (3x the power into the 600 compared to my BHCs). Its sort of like a drink w/ 3 layers that is unmixed and all the best flavor is in the bottom layer with transistor amps. About a year ago there is a very coherent write up on why the 600 behaves this way, and why its basically wrong. Interesting, but the sound says its right.

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #21,753 of 23,456
I agree. My view on the HD-600 is that I have never heard it in full bloom on anything other than a OTL tube amp. Even on my "mighty" Rag 1 (3x the power into the 600 compared to my BHCs). Its sort of like a drink w/ 3 layers that is unmixed and all the best flavor is in the bottom layer with transistor amps. About a year ago there is a very coherent write up on why the 600 behaves this way, and why its basically wrong. Interesting, but the sound says its right.
“The sound says it is right” 👍👆…. charts, diffusion plots, graphs are for those emulating A Few Good Men …. “you can’t handle the truth!”….

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #21,754 of 23,456
Are there any tubes you'd recommend for HD 600? The "all finished" package. I've heard about the "entry OTL tube amp" .. forgot what it's called, has "II" in its name. But then a lot of people suggest you need to upgrade the stock tubes. Wondering if there's something that doesn't require an upgrade and is ready with stock parts.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #21,755 of 23,456
Are there any tubes you'd recommend for HD 600? The "all finished" package. I've heard about the "entry OTL tube amp" .. forgot what it's called, has "II" in its name. But then a lot of people suggest you need to upgrade the stock tubes. Wondering if there's something that doesn't require an upgrade and is ready with stock parts.
My insight on OTL tube amps for headphones is very limited. I heard the Dark Voice isn't as good as the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball. I haven't heard the Dark Voice mind you. My BHCs does sound better with better tubes. It's also DIY, so factor that. Good luck.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #21,756 of 23,456
I have enjoyed my Schiit Valhalla 2 with its stock tubes for what that is worth. I have not listened to any other OTL tube amps though. I found it not bad with the Hel 2 in high gain mode (though that is not tubes).

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #21,757 of 23,456
~ To @Lalapuni (and others): the Sennheiser HD-600 definitely ‘flexes its muscles’ and ‘struts its stuff’ with OTL tube headphone amps. Just for starters, frequency range delivered and ‘force’ of delivery are greater than if powered by solid-state h/p/a. [This point is well addressed by @bagwell359.]
~ In my experience, the OTLs that really suit the HD-600 are: Schiit Audio Valhalla II ($349), Bottlehead Crack (w/Speedball: built by James C at HeadAmp Builder [on Etsy.com], $1100), Woo Audio WA2 ($1299), Linear Tube Audio MZ3 ($3700).
~ Other OTLs would include those from
Eufonika, Feliks Audio, and White Bird Amplification, all from Poland. In my h/p/a stable one day?…🤷🏻💭💭💭.
~ The Valhalla II is a great way to start ‘OTLing’. The stock tubes are OK. Later, one can upgrade the tubes. A nice Valhalla point is that the 6N6P power tubes, even the Fotons as upgrades, are not wildly expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #21,758 of 23,456
My insight on OTL tube amps for headphones is very limited. I heard the Dark Voice isn't as good as the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball. I haven't heard the Dark Voice mind you. My BHCs does sound better with better tubes. It's also DIY, so factor that. Good luck.
You can hire professional builders to build a Crack for you, but then it becomes a pretty expensive amp.

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #21,759 of 23,456
You can hire professional builders to build a Crack for you, but then it becomes a pretty expensive amp.
I have about $900 sunk in mine, caps, tubes, etc. Build it if u can, it sounds vastly better than stock.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #21,761 of 23,456
Not to put too fine a point on it, but one of the things most tube guys like about tubes is the ability to tailor the sound to taste via tube rolling. People especially seem to like NOS Western European or USA tubes from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, and the more popular varieties can get pretty pricey. Most new production (oem) tubes are Chinese or Russian, many of which sound very good, but they are generally not the same as the old European or USA made tubes. So, if you’re planning to go tube, be prepared to start playing with the tubes themselves at some point or another (and get to know a reputable tube dealer - there’s a lot of ‘questionable’ stuff for sale on flea bay). Personally, after playing the tube game for 40 years (and admittedly having a lot of fun with it), I’ve ‘retired’ and gone Class A solid state.

Enjoy!

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #21,762 of 23,456
Not to put too fine a point on it, but one of the things most tube guys like about tubes is the ability to tailor the sound to taste via tube rolling. People especially seem to like NOS Western European or USA tubes from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, and the more popular varieties can get pretty pricey. Most new production (oem) tubes are Chinese or Russian, many of which sound very good, but they are generally not the same as the old European or USA made tubes. So, if you’re planning to go tube, be prepared to start playing with the tubes themselves at some point or another (and get to know a reputable tube dealer - there’s a lot of ‘questionable’ stuff for sale on flea bay). Personally, after playing the tube game for 40 years (and admittedly having a lot of fun with it), I’ve ‘retired’ and gone Class A solid state.

Enjoy!
Having gone “Class A solid state”, you should give a listen to Flux Lab Acoustics. (I own a FLA FA-22: it dethroned my longtime s/s favourite Violectric V280.)

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #21,763 of 23,456
Having gone “Class A solid state”, you should give a listen to Flux Lab Acoustics. (I own a FLA FA-22: it dethroned my longtime s/s favourite Violectric V280.)
I’m still enamored of my old Burson stuff (I have a Conductor SL, a Soloist and a Soloist SL, all bought pre-owned), but I will definitely put the Flux Lab on the list of ‘must hear’ - How did you decide between 10, 12 and 22? I also got a Plinius integrated amp to replace my VTL mono amps and Audible Illusions preamp in the main system as a part of the ‘consolidation’, and I’ve never been happier.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #21,764 of 23,456
I’m still enamored of my old Burson stuff (I have a Conductor SL, a Soloist and a Soloist SL, all bought pre-owned), but I will definitely put the Flux Lab on the list of ‘must hear’ - How did you decide between 10, 12 and 22? I also got a Plinius integrated amp to replace my VTL mono amps and Audible Illusions preamp in the main system as a part of the ‘consolidation’, and I’ve never been happier.

Thanks!
FA-22…overall sound, ability to use SE or BAL…I have never owned Plinius equipment 😟 - the build quality looks astounding!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #21,765 of 23,456
FA-22…overall sound, ability to use SE or BAL…I have never owned Plinius equipment 😟 - the build quality looks astounding!
Got it. With 3 available at the same price, it would be nice to get a taste of each before deciding which to commit to. The Plinius build quality is indeed impeccable, as is the sound quality, IMHO. Give it a listen if you get a chance. Unapologetically SS, but the good, clean, liquid, iron-fist-in-a-velvet-glove kind of solid state. Not precisely the same as Pass Labs, but that part of the galaxy. The Burson stuff is also built like a brick and sonically similar, especially the two SL models. The Soloist is a little drier and more extended in the very high end - I’m told because of the stepped attenuator that replaces the alps pot - but that just makes it a perfect match for my HD650s, which need the help up there. Bye-bye ‘Sennheiser veil’.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back