Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #21,737 of 21,918

equalspeace

500+ Head-Fier
Started to notice yesterday i'm losing some information in busy passages during classical listening. The 600 gives up a decent amount to the MDR-M1ST and the 660s in terms of imaging and soundstage. i don't think i could ever give it up either tho as it's so good for rock w it's timbre superpowers

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #21,738 of 21,918

chocolates

100+ Head-Fier
I think I`m in the minority here, but I really didn`t like the HD650 (HD6XX) at all. I tried for several months with SS and tube amps, but found it veiled and and such. A while after I sold the HD6XX I bought the HD600 on a whim, that one I really liked and will probably never get rid of.
you're not alone - i also found the 6XX extremely veiled, almost like a cloth over it. i corroborated my findings with multiple other people as well, so it's definitely just my ears. i haven't tried many others (2 6XX and a 650) so i'm not too sure if it was just minor QC or pad differences.

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #21,739 of 21,918

Dawgfish

100+ Head-Fier
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #21,740 of 21,918

pofofo

Head-Fier
you're not alone - i also found the 6XX extremely veiled, almost like a cloth over it. i corroborated my findings with multiple other people as well, so it's definitely just my ears. i haven't tried many others (2 6XX and a 650) so i'm not too sure if it was just minor QC or pad differences.

From my short experience with HD600 the pads are very important. When I first got them (HD600, old marble), the pads on them where almost worn to shreds, but the mids where so damn good. With the new pads it`s a significant different sound which I dont like as much, hopefully the pads will wear in a bit.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #21,741 of 21,918

Strat1117

100+ Head-Fier
I always go with the simple rule of headphones/speakers first and than an amplifier/DAC. These sennheisers scale, but you wont bring the performance to the top headphones in todays market. Personally if I had a budget for Mojo Audio Evo DAC I would simply buy a better headphones, but others may enjoy the tonality of HD600 too much and can live with it’s quirks
A good amp with ok headphones will always give you a better result than good headphones with an ok amp. It’s pretty obvious that the speakers (headphones) can’t correct for problems earlier in the chain. Anyone who has put together enough two channel systems knows this. Idk why the headphone guys don’t seem to accept it. Source first, then amplification, then speakers (headphones). The good news about the 600s is that they will scale up very well as you improve your sources and amplification.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #21,742 of 21,918

donlin

Headphoneus Supremus
A good amp with ok headphones will always give you a better result than good headphones with an ok amp. It’s pretty obvious that the speakers (headphones) can’t correct for problems earlier in the chain. Anyone who has put together enough two channel systems knows this. Idk why the headphone guys don’t seem to accept it. Source first, then amplification, then speakers (headphones). The good news about the 600s is that they will scale up very well as you improve your sources and amplification.
Agree completely.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #21,743 of 21,918

ss2625

500+ Head-Fier
Yes, i also disliked the 6xx because of the veil but love the hd600 :D

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #21,744 of 21,918

hakunamakaka

500+ Head-Fier

Well I usually don't bother with hard to drive stuff much. With speakers I always went with active monitors and regards headphones majority of them are easy to drive today. I agree that source matters and it's not logical to blow all your $$ on speakers/headphones, but things that reproduce sound is still a priority for me. I don't see myself buying an amp/dac first and then trying to find a headphone which would pair nice with them. When I hear stuff reproducing music than I can adjust what could pair with it.

When I was looking for my desktop headphone setup I went to audio shop and I've tried HD600 from various sources and they did sound good on some tube amps for cozy&relaxed evening listening sessions while timbre being their best trait. These amps though where expensive 2000$-5000$ + a good DAC if you want to extract the last bit of goodness from HD600. Then I gave it a go for Utopia which was driven from a portable DAP player and it was a game over for my wallet.
Different folks can have fetish for a different gear, some for amps, others for speakers or cables. My route with focusing on headphones\speakers first, simply works best for me

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #21,746 of 21,918

limaaa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have a question about HD600.
I really like the sound, especially for acoustic guitars and vocals. But on some songs there is sibilance and it seems my ears get fatigued. There is hotness in my ears like days after listening HD600.

I have also tried HD6XX. The vocals are not so forward like HD600, but they were muddy and boring to me. I prefer the sound of the HD600. But HD6XX were not fatiguing at all!

Now my question is, can I EQ HD600 to put midrange just little bit back? Can I make them not so fatiguing with EQ? Or should I just buy another headphones?

I really like the sound but I don't like what they do to my ears.

The amp is Asgard 3. The DAC is HRT Music Streamer II

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #21,747 of 21,918

jonathan c

Headphoneus Supremus
…Source first, then amplification, then speakers (headphones). The good news about the 600s is that they will scale up very well as you improve your sources and amplification.
I agree wholeheartedly and went that route:
69EBC5BC-873F-4D87-A79A-361DEACF8BDA.jpeg

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #21,748 of 21,918

Fat Larry

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone here using the HD6xx to produce music with? I'm looking for some monitors at the moment and read that the 6xx could be a good option but have also read that it's bass doesn't go as deep as it could which would be a deal breaker as i'd want as much extension and clarity as i could get.

Is that the case with the bass? Any other suggestions if the 6xx isn't as good as something else? DT1990? Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #21,749 of 21,918

Strat1117

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone here using the HD6xx to produce music with? I'm looking for some monitors at the moment and read that the 6xx could be a good option but have also read that it's bass doesn't go as deep as it could which would be a deal breaker as i'd want as much extension and clarity as i could get.

Is that the case with the bass? Any other suggestions if the 6xx isn't as good as something else? DT1990? Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.
There is a thread dedicated to the 650/6xx where you might get a more relevant response. This thread is about the 600 specifically. I own both 600 and 650, but I don’t do any mixing, so I’m of little use to you. That said, the 650 goes deeper than the 600 (or has a more exaggerated low end, depending upon your perspective), and the 600 is a little drier. You need plenty of power to get satisfying bass out of either - their strength is midrange, not bass. Can’t comment on whether 6xx and 650 are equivalent because I’ve never tried the 6xx - same for the old made in Ireland blue marble 600 vs the new made in Romania all grey 600 - but most seem to think that they are equivalent, for whatever the opinion of ‘most’ is worth. But my old blue marble 600s never hurt my ears with sibilance that didn’t come from somewhere else upstream (see how I did that 😙).

NB - As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I did the Custom Cans copper weight mod, removed all the foam and changed the pads (all leather) and cord (Mogami/Furutech) on my pair of HD600, and I now prefer them to my HD650 in every way, including bass.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #21,750 of 21,918

mobbaddict

1000+ Head-Fier
There is a thread dedicated to the 650/6xx where you might get a more relevant response. This thread is about the 600 specifically. I own both 600 and 650, but I don’t do any mixing, so I’m of little use to you. That said, the 650 goes deeper than the 600 (or has a more exaggerated low end, depending upon your perspective), and the 600 is a little drier. You need plenty of power to get satisfying bass out of either - their strength is midrange, not bass. Can’t comment on whether 6xx and 650 are equivalent because I’ve never tried the 6xx - same for the old made in Ireland blue marble 600 vs the new made in Romania all grey 600 - but most seem to think that they are equivalent, for whatever the opinion of ‘most’ is worth. But my old blue marble 600s never hurt my ears with sibilance that didn’t come from somewhere else upstream (see how I did that 😙).

NB - As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I did the Custom Cans copper weight mod, removed all the foam and changed the pads (all leather) and cord (Mogami/Furutech) on my pair of HD600, and I now prefer them to my HD650 in every way, including bass.
I also get very good bass response with the Dekoni fenestrated leather pads on the HD600 and the balance remains very good (though a bit darker). They sound very similar to my Avantone Planar which is another great studio headphone (and for which I also swapped pads) with the usual benefit of dynamic timbre versus planar speed. As a matter of fact I've been using the HD600 more and more lately.

Users who are viewing this thread