Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #21,706 of 23,454
@Jonathan

Is the HD600 a headphone that gives a lot of detail when listening to a song?
I mostly listen to 70’s blues/rock and most of those recordings are of low quality.
Masters from the '60's and '70's used analog tape, and it' common to hear (CD transfer and Vinyl) "amount of hiss" and over saturation in the higher frequency range.
I would like to understand if HD600 will put even more in evidence all these imperfections to the point of making the whole
completely unplayable, or not.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #21,707 of 23,454
@Jonathan

Is the HD600 a headphone that gives a lot of detail when listening to a song?
I mostly listen to 70’s blues/rock and most of those recordings are of low quality.
Masters from the '60's and '70's used analog tape, and it' common to hear (CD transfer and Vinyl) "amount of hiss" and over saturation in the higher frequency range.
I would like to understand if HD600 will put even more in evidence all these imperfections to the point of making the whole
completely unplayable, or not.
The HD600 is definitely detailed yet it still retains a relatively smooth character. Based on your comments and concerns above, I think the HD650 or 6XX would be a better bet for you. It retains good detail but is more relaxed in the upper mids and highs than the 600.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #21,710 of 23,454
My amazing HD-600 meeting its wider soundstage, even more open feeling HE-60.

20211001_190152.jpg

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #21,712 of 23,454
It's Cool
What About DAC and Headphone Ampli?

Right now I am using the RME ADI-2 into Stax SRM-717 into HE-60. I bought it together with the Stax amp and was told this particular model is probably the best pairing for a "normal" budget. I agree when I hear the fantastic sound compared to some views that it's lacking in some departments. There is nothing missing here, there is bass, impact... apparently this is not the case on all amps.

What I find incredible is that the vocals sound as good as on the HD-600, but with more air, more space. I could not believe it when I did a bit of A/B testing and I preferred the HE-60 on vocals due to this expansive soundstage yet retained naturalness of the 600. This is not necessarily true for the entirety of the sound, there is still a more natural timbre for the 600 across the range, but the HE-60 is close on that, surprisingly.

The downside: If it breaks (although it looks/feels like it's new), I can hardly hope for repair parts; also all the desk space I am losing with this Stax monstrosity. :)

20211001_211208.jpg

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #21,716 of 23,454
A smartphone doesn't have nearly enough power for an HD-600; you won't be hearing it at its best without an amp. Focal Clear, on the other hand, doesn't require an amp; you'll get the best sound possible from a smartphone's electronics. I have both headphones and tried them out with my iPhone 11 during a recent power outage. The Clears even sounded good with my 10 year old cheapie portable CD player.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #21,717 of 23,454
A smartphone doesn't have nearly enough power for an HD-600; you won't be hearing it at its best without an amp. Focal Clear, on the other hand, doesn't require an amp; you'll get the best sound possible from a smartphone's electronics. I have both headphones and tried them out with my iPhone 11 during a recent power outage. The Clears even sounded good with my 10 year old cheapie portable CD player.
If it's driven to sufficient volume, does it matter? Or do amps actually change sound quality (assuming they meet basic thresholds like inaudible THD and whatnot)?

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #21,718 of 23,454
I'm loving my HD600. Currently using Oratory's EQ (harman target) for them, driven from my Qudelix (unbalanced). It's exceptional. I've come a long way... had the Sony V6 in highschool, moved on the Ultrasone Pro 900 (yeah, yeah, I know, haha), then got the KRK KNS 8400, and now I have the HD600. I just need a closed-back phone to pair it with for when I'm at the girlfriend's place. :p

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #21,719 of 23,454
If it's driven to sufficient volume, does it matter? Or do amps actually change sound quality (assuming they meet basic thresholds like inaudible THD and whatnot)?
One of the oldest arguments in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back