Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #21,376 of 23,458
audeze has some seriously wonky tonality and timbre (even beyond what the FR looks like) but the technicalities are solid and work really well for electronic music; i imagine you'd be very disappointed with the HD6X0 if you like bass and subbass. i'd probably prefer the audeze over HD6X0 for genres like house and dnb even though i find them extremely strange for classical and acoustic

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #21,377 of 23,458
audeze has some seriously wonky tonality and timbre (even beyond what the FR looks like) but the technicalities are solid and work really well for electronic music; i imagine you'd be very disappointed with the HD6X0 if you like bass and subbass. i'd probably prefer the audeze over HD6X0 for genres like house and dnb even though i find them extremely strange for classical and acoustic
I think is preferable to have different headphones for different "moods" and "genres" (even albums from genres). For example, I enjoy a lot listening to jazz with my Sony Z7s or vocal genres with HD 800, but for rock and metal I love the Denon 9200 or Beyer DT 1990 Pro... But sometimes one of my headphones surprise me with a concrete album from a particular genre (or give me a different view).

When I bought my Senn HD 555 (I think in 2006), my first "audiophile" purchase, I was amazed with the TOTL HD 600, that was available in the same on-line shop, and I laughed when I read a guy review there that said "They are incredible -or something like that-" and another guy replied: "you are crazy to spend that ammount of money in headphones" (now 5000 € has becoming the old 300 €). From that time, I got intrigued about these headphones and will try them I hope soon :relaxed:

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #21,378 of 23,458
I think is preferable to have different headphones for different "moods" and "genres" (even albums from genres). For example, I enjoy a lot listening to jazz with my Sony Z7s or vocal genres with HD 800, but for rock and metal I love the Denon 9200 or Beyer DT 1990 Pro... But sometimes one of my headphones surprise me with a concrete album from a particular genre (or give me a different view).

When I bought my Senn HD 555 (I think in 2006), my first "audiophile" purchase, I was amazed with the TOTL HD 600, that was available in the same on-line shop, and I laughed when I read a guy review there that said "They are incredible -or something like that-" and another guy replied: "you are crazy to spend that ammount of money in headphones" (now 5000 € has becoming the old 300 €). From that time, I got intrigued about these headphones and will try them I hope soon :relaxed:

In all regards for HD6xx series they can’t compete against decent higher tier headphones. clear which can be bought now new for 900$ beats sennheisers in every area. If you look into used market you can get even other and cheaper options. I enjoy my HD650, but fanboys overhyped them putting them in the same bracket as flagships. These do scale with OTL amplifiers, but not to the extent that it will transform Sennheisers to a new beast. Now if we look at the price/performance ratio these are in top of competition, a very good mid-fi option, basically a blind recommendation for any casual listener

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #21,379 of 23,458
In all regards for HD6xx series they can’t compete against decent higher tier headphones. clear which can be bought now new for 900$ beats sennheisers in every area. If you look into used market you can get even other and cheaper options. I enjoy my HD650, but fanboys overhyped them putting them in the same bracket as flagships. These do scale with OTL amplifiers, but not to the extent that it will transform Sennheisers to a new beast. Now if we look at the price/performance ratio these are in top of competition, a very good mid-fi option, basically a blind recommendation for any casual listener

Nah man, this fanboy here says HD 600 beats all flagship headphones in the most important category of all.

Clear? Already discontinued... :)

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #21,380 of 23,458
Not everyone would agree with that. I have owned Clear, Arya, LCD-X HD800S etc and still prefer the HD6-0. None of those more expensive phones get the midrange timbre as right in my opinion.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #21,382 of 23,458
Personally I didn’t like hd600 with female vocals it’s shouty not in a good way for me, 650 nails it better. Most important category, it’s just your taste and it will vary depending on individual. Doesn’t make a headphone a better for the rest, in that logic I could easily claim that beats is the best headphone out there driven by friends opinion

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #21,384 of 23,458
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #21,385 of 23,458
Personally I didn’t like hd600 with female vocals it’s shouty not in a good way for me, 650 nails it better. Most important category, it’s just your taste and it will vary depending on individual. Doesn’t make a headphone a better for the rest, in that logic I could easily claim that beats is the best headphone out there driven by friends opinion
I don't hear it that way at all. I can listen to really enjoy Joni Mitchell out of a pair of HD 600s. If that ain't shouty nothing is :D

I think a lot depends on the amp. The 600s need a lot more power than the specs might suggest. And they're a lot happier with a tube OTL amp.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #21,386 of 23,458
I don't hear it that way at all. I can listen to really enjoy Joni Mitchell out of a pair of HD 600s. If that ain't shouty nothing is :D

I think a lot depends on the amp. The 600s need a lot more power than the specs might suggest. And they're a lot happier with a tube OTL amp.

They only had SS amp in the shop and HD600 was too much for me, the bass as well was better on 650. I actually find my HD650 nicely driven directly from my macbook, OTL amp gives it a bit of extra bass/gets rid of a grainy texture in mids/highs, but nothing in regards of drastic changes. The big advantage of sennheisers is that I can listen to poor recordings and Sennheiser can beat more expensive offerings(as an example campfire cascade for me), but people claiming that these series sits in tier 1 simply haven't heard a good flagship which suits their tastes.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #21,387 of 23,458
but people claiming that these series sits in tier 1 simply haven't heard a good flagship which suits their tastes.
I think the forums would be a lot more friendly and the contents more reliable and helpful if people would refrain from asserting they know more about what's good for the other guy than he does himself. But that is not limited to the forums. The world seems to be taking an unfortunate direction.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #21,388 of 23,458
I think the forums would be a lot more friendly and the contents more reliable and helpful if people would refrain from asserting they know more about what's good for the other guy than he does himself. But that is not limited to the forums. The world seems to be taking an unfortunate direction.
I didn’t mean to sound offensive, but if everyone blindly rides the wave you can end up in lalaland of unicorns.

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #21,389 of 23,458
True there are a lot of people who didn't hear something and post meme opinions and that might be what you're talking about.

But I think all we can rely on is the opinions of people who actually heard the gear. I have headphones that cost 5-10X the price of a pair of HD 600s and while the more expensive ones are better in some ways, the HD 600s still win (for me) in terms of how accurate the tonality is and how enjoyable they are to listen to. And the HD 600s scale to the point it's almost impossible to throw too much amp at them. This is not true of many other cans.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #21,390 of 23,458
I didn’t mean to sound offensive, but if everyone blindly rides the wave you can end up in lalaland of unicorns.
Nothing blind about my opinion. I started with the HD580 in 1993 and bought each successor shortly after it was released. Also during that time I’ve owned just about every real contender in the 1500.00-2000.00 range for an extended period of time. Over the long haul, the 600 is the real keeper when it comes to less fatigue, more consistent enjoyment, accurate timbre, comfort, reliability, etc.
Based on your posts, it sounds like you did a comparison in a store and have made an absolute decision about what everyone else’s preference should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back