Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #21,106 of 23,458
Right, it says 150mW @ 32 ohms and 40mW @ 600 ohms. Amps are often not linear but it looks like best case 80mW at 300 ohms and probably less, and will not have enough voltage to make the 600s sing like they should.

The Corda Jazz-ff swings 15V which is a safe number for working well with the HD 600 series.
I don't understand this. Going by this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amplifier-specifications-am-i-getting-it-right.803665/ 20mw is good enough for 600 ohm cans and in the example given the amount of of mw needed for 93 db is higher than those of hd 600s. So why, given that 20 mw is enough for 600 ohm cans at normal listening volumes, 80 would not be enough for 600s?

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I simply don't know much about it and am confused by all the conflicting information I find on the internet.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #21,107 of 23,458
So I got this amp for cheap used:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graham-Slee-Novo-Headphone-Amplifier-silver/dp/B007JWJFYO

Will this be enough for hd600?
Graham Slees are pretty much made for Sennheisers. His favourite phones and the ones he uses to develop his products is the HD250 Linear a 300ohm phone. They were Sennheiser's choice of amp for demoing their phones for a while, at least in the UK

I wouldn't buy new though. My Solo, Voyager and Bitzie each cost around a third of their original price via fleabay

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #21,108 of 23,458
Graham Slees are pretty much made for Sennheisers. His favourite phones and the ones he uses to develop his products is the HD250 Linear a 300ohm phone. They were Sennheiser's choice of amp for demoing their phones for a while, at least in the UK

I wouldn't buy new though. My Solo, Voyager and Bitzie each cost around a third of their original price via fleabay
Cheers. I got it for 100 pounds used.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #21,109 of 23,458
I don't understand this. Going by this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amplifier-specifications-am-i-getting-it-right.803665/ 20mw is good enough for 600 ohm cans and in the example given the amount of of mw needed for 93 db is higher than those of hd 600s. So why, given that 20 mw is enough for 600 ohm cans at normal listening volumes, 80 would not be enough for 600s?

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I simply don't know much about it and am confused by all the conflicting information I find on the internet.

Because headphone loads can be very dynamic. The amp has to follow transients in the music and be responsive and that takes a lot more power than it would appear on paper. I haven't seen that thread but I have some experience with Sennheisers and different amps and my ears tell me that power makes a very big difference in sound quality with them. Many small and inexpensive amps don't supply enough voltage to make them sound like they should. If you are happy with the sound, then there is nothing further required. But if you get to the point you want something better than a pair of HD 600s, try a really good amp first and you will probably be surprised how much they scale.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #21,110 of 23,458
Because headphone loads can be very dynamic. The amp has to follow transients in the music and be responsive and that takes a lot more power than it would appear on paper. I haven't seen that thread but I have some experience with Sennheisers and different amps and my ears tell me that power makes a very big difference in sound quality with them. Many small and inexpensive amps don't supply enough voltage to make them sound like they should. If you are happy with the sound, then there is nothing further required. But if you get to the point you want something better than a pair of HD 600s, try a really good amp first and you will probably be surprised how much they scale.

Cheers.
I'm pretty happy. The previous phones I used were 558's and the difference is huge to me already :)

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #21,111 of 23,458
Nov 13, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #21,113 of 23,458
I wish someone would do a comparison between the old and new model 600. I swear from memory there are subtle differences in how the two HPs sound. I can’t confirm these thoughts though as I don’t have both headphones currently

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #21,116 of 23,458
From memory the new 600 seem to have better layering and sound a bit more out of head than the old version. They also seem to be a bit tamed in the lower treble. These to me are improvements, but I could also be imagining differences lol

Nov 13, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #21,118 of 23,458
The Monoprice THX AAA 887 really pushes the 600 to a very high level on the highest gain level using the XLR output. Listening to Beethoven No. 6 and everything is so full, composed, fast and there’s enough space for the assortment of instruments with proper layering. The 600 is just so clean and life like out of this amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back