Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #21,063 of 23,499
This one:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n303d/index.html

It says 8 ohm load 470 mv / 470 ohm next to phones in the manual.

I found the manual here https://europe.yamaha.com/files/dow...5/web_AV16-0032_R-N303_R-N303D_om_G_En_A0.pdf

I have no idea what "8 ohm load 470 mV / 470 ohm" means. It looks like a typo but at any rate has no useful information. Don't expect the headphone output to be even as good as your USB audio interface.

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #21,064 of 23,499
Dunno, man, I just listened to them on my Yamaha stereo amp. Aren't traditional receivers supposed to drive high impedance phones no problem? Sounds identical to me.
Not if you are talking about driving them out of the headphone socket. Grab a Vali 2 with a solid upgrade tube and you will be amazed at the new level of soundstage and layering of sound.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #21,065 of 23,499
Yaxi pads arrived, they are excellent. My ears hardly touch the drivers now and I feel like it didn't change the FR much of the HD600, added a bit more bass (but not a ton, I'd guess +2-3db shelf) and added some soundstage. Actually was weird for the first time while wearing the HD600 I was looking behind me as I though my cat was knocking over stuff, but was really just the soundstage, it's not incredibly wide and still intimate but nothing I have experienced so far with my 600..

I bounced between Fiona Apple to check the timbre on her voice as I feel like I have what her voice sounds like really dialed in. Stevie Ray Vaughan Little Wing to check the timbre of guitar and detail. Mac Miller Circles to check sub bass bleed. Kevin Morby Sundowner to double check vocal timbre. FKA Twigs to check bass detail. And finally Deftones to check subbass and snap on drums. All sounded pretty good and felt like nothing was missing.

IMG_20201106_152511(1).jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #21,066 of 23,499
Yaxi pads arrived, they are excellent. My ears hardly touch the drivers now and I feel like it didn't change the FR much of the HD600, added a bit more bass (but not a ton, I'd guess +2-3db shelf) and added some soundstage. Actually was weird for the first time while wearing the HD600 I was looking behind me as I though my cat was knocking over stuff, but was really just the soundstage, it's not incredibly wide and still intimate but nothing I have experienced so far with my 600..

I bounced between Fiona Apple to check the timbre on her voice as I feel like I have what her voice sounds like really dialed in. Stevie Ray Vaughan Little Wing to check the timbre of guitar and detail. Mac Miller Circles to check sub bass bleed. Kevin Morby Sundowner to double check vocal timbre. FKA Twigs to check bass detail. And finally Deftones to check subbass and snap on drums. All sounded pretty good and felt like nothing was missing.

IMG_20201106_152511(1).jpg

I'm really digging the look of these new(ish) HD600's.

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #21,067 of 23,499
Anybody know what time did HD600 headphones start having production date stamps on parts? I have recently bought a pristine used older style (marble blue) Sennheiser HD600 Avantgarde which was bough by an original owner from an authorized retailer in Poland in August 2019. I have had an older pair made in 2011 in the past, and it did not have production date stamps on any parts, while these 2019 made HD600 have 19/1 on the capsules, 19/4 on the grills, 19/1 on the right driver housing and 18/10 on the left driver housing. Both drivers have the same date (15.01.19) and code (600129 MiniSys) markings, right driver has a small number 9 in the middle of the diaphragm, while left driver has number 8.

I've also noticed that the plastic headband tabs (plugs) do not have "Made In Ireland" written on the 2019 made HD600 anymore. After some quick googling it seems that HD650 and HD660S at some point did also not have anything written on those plastic tabs. Is there more information about it?

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #21,068 of 23,499
I have a new HD600 on the way, can't wait. I'll be using it with the following:

1) M11 Pro w/balanced cable
2) M11 Pro + Little Dot 1+ or III
3) Rega RP1 + Little Dot 1+ or III

I have owned the 650 a long time ago (over ten years ago), but didn't have it too long and only had an iPod Classic as a source (had the Little Dot III with it, though). I have been listening to a set of Gradio 325i with Little Dot 1+ and Rega RP1 for the past ten years or so. M11 Pro and high res brought me back to digital.

I was initially getting the 660, but a sale came up on the 600 and it seemed like the better purchase, at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #21,071 of 23,499
I have a new HD600 on the way, can't wait. I'll be using it with the following:

1) M11 Pro w/balanced cable
2) M11 Pro + Little Dot 1+ or III
3) Rega RP1 + Little Dot 1+ or III

I have owned the 650 a long time ago (over ten years ago), but didn't have it too long and only had an iPod Classic as a source (had the Little Dot III with it, though). I have been listening to a set of Gradio 325i with Little Dot 1+ and Rega RP1 for the past ten years or so. M11 Pro and high res brought me back to digital.

I was initially getting the 660, but a sale came up on the 600 and it seemed like the better purchase, at this point.

Okay... WOW. All I can say is these are honestly the best headphones I’ve ever heard. I can’t believe it took me this long to try them!

I’m about 2.5 hours in and completely blown away. Definitely a fan and I’m only at my first setup, which is the M11 Pro and a balanced cable. No fatigue at all, either.

I’m already considering selling all my other headphones... lol.:beyersmile:

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #21,072 of 23,499
Okay... WOW. All I can say is these are honestly the best headphones I’ve ever heard. I can’t believe it took me this long to try them!

I’m about 2.5 hours in and completely blown away. Definitely a fan and I’m only at my first setup, which is the M11 Pro and a balanced cable. No fatigue at all, either.

I’m already considering selling all my other headphones... lol.:beyersmile:
They are good and I own a set. But the driver tech shows its age when put up against some of the newer headphone options out there.

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #21,074 of 23,499
This new version HD600 has become my fav headphone since I’ve been in this hobby. It just sounds perfect to me in tonality and it looks so nice. I think about this headphone several times a day as if I have some kind of crush on it :)

Ha, me too. I'm definitely head over heels in love. I just listened to them for four hours straight in my first session, without a break, and now I’m heading back for some more.

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #21,075 of 23,499
They are good and I own a set. But the driver tech shows its age when put up against some of the newer headphone options out there.

I genuinely do not care about the age of the driver tech or newer options. This sound works for me in a big way and I'm instantly addicted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back