Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #21,049 of 23,456
My opinion, don't waste your money on entry-level gear unless you are sure you can sell it quickly in your country. You will outgrow it quickly, it's better to get something in the middle price range that you can keep and enjoy for years. Not sure what brands are available for you or if you can import without paying crazy taxes.
Thank you very much for the answer, this is a very interesting point of view and I will consider it.

In my country, although the taxes are relatively high, it is extremely easy to sell HiFi products here.
It is even possible to sell domestically at a higher price than the import price plus taxes.

I plan to buy the Topping E30/L30 (or the Schiit Modi3/Magni3+) this month and, in January/2021, buy and assemble a BH-C.

I will do some A/B tests and then sell the amplifier I like less, or use one at home and the other at the office.
I also plan to buy an HD650 (or HD6XX) to make the test more interesting.

I had the new black version and now have the marbled version. I cannot comment on whether they sound the same or not since my marbled version is the JAR mod, but I would like to mention that the original finish is much more robust than the new flat black version. The new paint finish seems a bit easier to damage.
I can't say which one has the most robust finish, as I don't have the HD 600 (marble version); But I can say that I find the HD 600 extremely well built and apparently with a very robust finish.
Subjectively, I think the solid color of the current version is more elegant than the previous version, but I know that this is an extremely subjective aspect and I respect anyone who considers the opposite =]

Additionally, what do you think about the JARHD600?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sennheiser HD 600.jpg

That's my boy... :L3000:

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #21,050 of 23,456
I would say get a used Valhalla 2 and then if your BHC stomps it, sell the Valhalla

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #21,051 of 23,456
Thank you very much for the answer, this is a very interesting point of view and I will consider it.

In my country, although the taxes are relatively high, it is extremely easy to sell HiFi products here.
It is even possible to sell domestically at a higher price than the import price plus taxes.

I plan to buy the Topping E30/L30 (or the Schiit Modi3/Magni3+) this month and, in January/2021, buy and assemble a BH-C.

I will do some A/B tests and then sell the amplifier I like less, or use one at home and the other at the office.
I also plan to buy an HD650 (or HD6XX) to make the test more interesting.

I can't say which one has the most robust finish, as I don't have the HD 600 (marble version); But I can say that I find the HD 600 extremely well built and apparently with a very robust finish.
Subjectively, I think the solid color of the current version is more elegant than the previous version, but I know that this is an extremely subjective aspect and I respect anyone who considers the opposite =]

Additionally, what do you think about the JARHD600?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my boy... :L3000:

I do like the new colorway. It certainly looks more grown up and refined.

The JAR is a pretty good jump (not overly large, but noticeable) in quality over the reg. 600. The JAR mod tightens everything up a bit and produces better bass response and smoother highs. The mids retain their full presence, and the 600's magic is just more. I found driving it with the modded LP is a perfect pairing. I would love to try a BH crack or WA3 to compare at some point.

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #21,052 of 23,456
Really loving the 600 out of my DX7 Pro. Sounds liquid fast with a wide soundstage and excellent layering/detail. Fantastic combo

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #21,053 of 23,456
Just got the headphones. Love them. I power them with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I keep reading how difficult they are to drive being 300 ohm. They're not? The volume knob on the Scarlett is barely 1/4 and it's already too loud.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #21,054 of 23,456
Just got the headphones. Love them. I power them with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I keep reading how difficult they are to drive being 300 ohm. They're not? The volume knob on the Scarlett is barely 1/4 and it's already too loud.

First off, I'm very happy to see this thread popping lately!

Awesome purchase. These are, after my Grado SR-60s, my first real purchase in the realm of hi-fi headphones, and I love them. I agree with you that they aren't nearly as hard to drive as others say they are. I can listen to them at an acceptable volume off my iPhone for the most part, and certainly don't need more than the Magni 2 Uber that I have them set up with currently.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #21,055 of 23,456

They are. Underdriven Sennheisers can get loud enough to deafen you. But, without the right kind of power they can sound lifeless.

If they sound fine to you all well and good but they can be a lot better. If you get a chance, listen to them out of a serious amp.

Nov 5, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #21,056 of 23,456
To build on what was previously stated by @gimmeheadroom high volume is not the same as high quality. Not to say they sound bad with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but I would bet that once you had some time to understand the sound profile of HD600 and then compare the 2i2 to something like a BH crack, Monoprice LP or Lyr 3 you will be surprised at how much better they can sound. I ran the HD650 off of a Magni 2 for a long time and enjoyed it until I heard them on the Jotunheim, which really opened my eyes (and also the flood gates to my wallet, lol)!

The HD600/650 series are great headphones that just get better and better the higher up the Hifi ladder you get.

Best of luck on your audio journey.

Nov 5, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #21,057 of 23,456
To build on what was previously stated by @gimmeheadroom high volume is not the same as high quality. Not to say they sound bad with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but I would bet that once you had some time to understand the sound profile of HD600 and then compare the 2i2 to something like a BH crack, Monoprice LP or Lyr 3 you will be surprised at how much better they can sound. I ran the HD650 off of a Magni 2 for a long time and enjoyed it until I heard them on the Jotunheim, which really opened my eyes (and also the flood gates to my wallet, lol)!

The HD600/650 series are great headphones that just get better and better the higher up the Hifi ladder you get.

Best of luck on your audio journey.
Dunno, man, I just listened to them on my Yamaha stereo amp. Aren't traditional receivers supposed to drive high impedance phones no problem? Sounds identical to me.

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #21,058 of 23,456
First off, I'm very happy to see this thread popping lately!

Awesome purchase. These are, after my Grado SR-60s, my first real purchase in the realm of hi-fi headphones, and I love them. I agree with you that they aren't nearly as hard to drive as others say they are. I can listen to them at an acceptable volume off my iPhone for the most part, and certainly don't need more than the Magni 2 Uber that I have them set up with currently.

There is a difference between drive and drive well. My Ragnarock rates as 3x the watts as the BHC, but it sounds like .1x.

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #21,059 of 23,456
Dunno, man, I just listened to them on my Yamaha stereo amp. Aren't traditional receivers supposed to drive high impedance phones no problem? Sounds identical to me.
Typical stereo amp drive headphones through the resistor. Bass is not so tight, losing punch and details. It can be pleasant, but not for critical listening.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #21,060 of 23,456
What Yamaha? Anything modern is not going to drive 300 ohm headphones like receivers from the 1970s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back