Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #20,822 of 23,458
I ran some tests today on the miniDSP EARS to compare the four cables. The incorrectly wired cables have 3dB less output on each channel than the good cable and they also have higher distortion (see images below). Are you sure this won't harm the amp? I hope not because I've been using these cables for more than a year! Next week I am sending them to another cable maker who will hopefully be able to re-wire them correctly.

50211443266_f7b3fa9c96_o.jpg

50211443306_d629b837c5_o.jpg

50210919333_843711070f_o.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #20,823 of 23,458
While I am not an electrical engineer, I believe no damage will occur. The fact that you have used this cord for a year would seem to support this belief. As for distortion, that is one of the reasons for going balanced. Same for levels. Balanced improves both. Good luck with the repair.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #20,824 of 23,458
While I am not an electrical engineer, I believe no damage will occur. The fact that you have used this cord for a year would seem to support this belief. As for distortion, that is one of the reasons for going balanced. Same for levels. Balanced improves both. Good luck with the repair.
In quad core 4XLR cable, what should the screen be connected to?

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #20,826 of 23,458
I ran some tests today on the miniDSP EARS to compare the four cables. The incorrectly wired cables have 3dB less output on each channel than the good cable and they also have higher distortion (see images below). Are you sure this won't harm the amp? I hope not because I've been using these cables for more than a year! Next week I am sending them to another cable maker who will hopefully be able to re-wire them correctly.

It depends on the amplifier design. There are definitely some balanced headphone amplifier designs where bridging the negative on the left and right may cause damage but as the post above mentioned, as you have been running it for this long, your amp may be OK with it
As a general rule of thumb though, I would not recommend running a balanced headphone output with the connections bridged by a cable or adapter that converts it to single ended unless the manual says it can be done.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #20,828 of 23,458
I've had a report from the guy who's fixing my cables. He said:

"The 2 screens were wired separately and the 2 blues were wired together as were the 2 white cables."

This news was a surprise to me as when I touched pins 1 and 3 together with the multimeter I heard no continuity beep, only pins 2 and 4 beeped. If pins 1 and 3 were also shorted then this would essentially make the cable mono, wouldn't it? I guess that would explain why the imaging was so centrally-focused! However I would also have thought this would cause even more damage to the amplifier than if only pins 2 and 4 were shorted?

I was also confused by the "2 screens" comment, as Van Damme star quad cable only has one screen braid. I asked for clarification and he said:

"It appears that whoever originally wired the cables forged two connections from the one screen."

This still doesn't make sense to me, but I guess all that matters now is that the cables are wired correctly. I should receive them back today and will tentatively install them in my headphone amp after putting the multimeter on them. Fingers crossed for no magic smoke!...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #20,829 of 23,458
I have the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads on the old version, so it sounds slightly warmer. But I will add the Dekoni pads on the new version at some point and then let you know if the differences are gone.
following... :L3000:

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #20,831 of 23,458
How does the copper load ring work? What are the sonic effects?

I can see this being tuned to the 600 w/ your basic transistor amp, but how about tuned to a OTL amp?

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #20,832 of 23,458
I saw the lead kit for HD 25s a long time ago on the customcans site and didn't think much of it. When I got my HD 25 aluminums I heard the difference between the regular plastic HD 25 and the aluminum and realized he was on to something. I plan to buy the copper upgrade for my 600s when I get home.

I have several customcans cables and parts including their white house brand pads. All good stuff. @jfunk is good people.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #20,833 of 23,458
I haven't used these since I bought them a couple of weeks ago. Initially I was underwhelmed. This morning I put them on and am having a great time. DAP to DAC to Loki to MAD tube amp to HD600's. I am about halfway through my Dave Matthews Band playlist and these are sounding Great!

Sometimes, if you are feeling underwhelmed by a product, put it away for a few weeks and then try again. It looks like I have three great tube headphones: HD600, Grado GH2 and Beyer DT880 (600 Ohm). :L3000:

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #20,834 of 23,458
I haven't used these since I bought them a couple of weeks ago. Initially I was underwhelmed. This morning I put them on and am having a great time. DAP to DAC to Loki to MAD tube amp to HD600's. I am about halfway through my Dave Matthews Band playlist and these are sounding Great!

Sometimes, if you are feeling underwhelmed by a product, put it away for a few weeks and then try again. It looks like I have three great tube headphones: HD600, Grado GH2 and Beyer DT880 (600 Ohm). :L3000:

how would you compare the 600s to the 880s in terms of openess, clarity and detail?

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #20,835 of 23,458
how would you compare the 600s to the 880s in terms of openess, clarity and detail?

I actually prefer the DT880's in every way. Hard to believe a headphone this cheap can be so good. Very open, very clear and more than adequate bass. Great with my tube amp or even my Violectric solid state. These are a keeper.

I should add the Beyer's are, to me, more fun. The HD600's are, to me, more analytical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back