Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #20,626 of 23,461
The equation is simple.
HD600 is nominal 300Ω
Let's assume that we need 1w of power.
From Ohms law we get 17.32 Volt and 0.057 A.
This is a large voltage swing not all amps can provide.
In an amp we have a voltage amplification and current amplification.
Most amps are optimized for current amplification.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #20,628 of 23,461
The equation is simple.
HD600 is nominal 300Ω
Let's assume that we need 1w of power.
From Ohms law we get 17.32 Volt and 0.057 A.
This is a large voltage swing not all amps can provide.
In an amp we have a voltage amplification and current amplification.
Most amps are optimized for current amplification.
I ordered this amp to power the hd 650 and T1. Now I'm trying to figure from the specs if it can drive them properly based on your calculation... Looks like it doesn't have the necessary volt output. And looks like this measurement agrees with it: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/smsl-sap-II.php#gsc.tab=0
I wasted money for not having that critical piece information.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #20,630 of 23,461
660S grills on my 600.

HD600-new grill.jpg

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #20,631 of 23,461
660S grills on my 600.

HD600-new grill.jpg
Now that raises another question about the looks of our beloved headphone. We all know that granite color scheme has been a love/hate thing for people who have these. How's everyone's thoughts on this look with the HD660S grilles? By no means do they ruin the aesthetic to me, but I might like the complete lack of any insignia at all on the old grilles a bit more. Regardless, I like Sennheiser's approach by using just a very small logo right at the edge.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #20,632 of 23,461
Now that raises another question about the looks of our beloved headphone. We all know that granite color scheme has been a love/hate thing for people who have these. How's everyone's thoughts on this look with the HD660S grilles? By no means do they ruin the aesthetic to me, but I might like the complete lack of any insignia at all on the old grilles a bit more. Regardless, I like Sennheiser's approach by using just a very small logo right at the edge.

Good point. I forgot that to the untrained eye the granite HD-600 does not have the beauty that we, long-time users, have come to associate with it. So whereas I look at this combination --granite+solid 660S grills-- with admiration, it might seem totally wrong to others.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #20,634 of 23,461
Once my headphones are on my head, I'm not thinking about their visual aesthetics.
They're not on my head a fair chunk of the time these days because it's summer where I'm at and I don't like to have headphones on all that often in the summer heat. The HD600s don't get as hot as I've read some other headphones get, but I still prefer no extra heat on my head at all if I can help it. I mostly just stick with the bookshelf speakers in the summer.

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #20,636 of 23,461
I noticed Harmon mentioned, is Oratory 1990 on the way. Harmon since 2017 v2 is ridiculous under 60 Hz in the bass. Oratory starts even higher, plus they toss in a bogus average room variable. I don't care what is most popular (no interest in opinions of bass heads - nothing personal) w.r.t. sound, I care about what is right. I assume a good amount of people here feel the same (assuming you EQ). They both have insights worthy of trying at least above those areas, too bad they are both so wrong headed in the lower bass.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #20,638 of 23,461
Maybe this have been asked a few times but can someone summarize the differences between the old version and the new 2019 version?

What should i buy now?

The change is only cosmetics. No sound differences, no build solidity differences.

And more than that, you cannot find the old model new anymore, so you can only get the new model. At the price it sells for, I highly recommend getting it new. Old ones will have been bent and changed in other ways, not worth the measly savings.

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #20,639 of 23,461
The change is only cosmetics. No sound differences, no build solidity differences.

And more than that, you cannot find the old model new anymore, so you can only get the new model. At the price it sells for, I highly recommend getting it new. Old ones will have been bent and changed in other ways, not worth the measly savings.
Thanks. I was looking for an old one because i thought the new sounds different but then i maybe getting the new.

Now i asked an ebay seller about the 650 he sells whether it's the old or the new version. Now he said it's not the new 2019 version but the new of the older versions with a silver driver. What's that about? Are there differences in the older models of the 600/650 too?

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #20,640 of 23,461
My understanding, summarized, is that there are unit to unit variations. This is normal for all brands, not unique to Sennheiser. If you buy an HD-600 NEW right now and then a week later another, there might be a small sound difference.

Now, with the HD-650, somewhere in the past (these have been in production since the early 2000s I believe), they changed the driver from black to silver. Maybe there were 2 or 3 changes of the driver mesh and color. There are Youtube videos about it. The sound was supposed to be warmer on the earlier ones. But those would be too old now, older than could be found in excellent condition. Plus the 650 is warm enough. But a myth was built that this or that driver was better. I have only listened to three 650s, all post 2018 production, 2 Made in Ireland, 1 Made in Romania. They all sound the same to me. Maybe small unit variation.

So my own conclusion and advice to a newcomer to the 6-series is -- just buy the new 650. It sounds the same. Whatever someone says about the 2007 [insert year] legendary silver driver... probably a myth, and also... having a new unit is so much better. I cannot emphasize what a difference even slightly used gives to the experience. I traded a Nighthawk for a used, mint HD-600 earlier this year. I did it because I had all the information about this 600 and I wanted one more marbled pair (for cosmetic reasons)... invoice, good seller, reason for sale, recent purchase, so it was mint alright. But guess what? The headband doesn't feel the same. Maybe it was on a weird headphone holder, maybe it was slightly bent... it just doesn't feel the same. So I would happily buy new than chase some myth of a 0.01% better driver in a used pair.

Sorry for the ramble. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back