Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #19,981 of 23,456
I will try to answer, if you have doubts in regards of the amp you're using most likely you should not the hd600 needs only 20mw to reach 110db SPL, at this stage they are powered properly and quite loud as well. Granted with a different amp they will feel different, color maybe involved, and different presentation of course. Due to the flat nature of this headphone when paired with different amps they can change quite a lot, see tubes just for ex...

The 2019 version will sound just the same, at least in line with the 4th iteration of the driver, first driver of the HD600 sounds slightly different very slightly, and maybe due to usage as well.

I prefer the 2019 version just because looks better in my opinion, the language design is very refreshing, love the color as well. If i had to buy a new one i'm for the 2019 version. I think to get one just because of the new color and design, just love the new one.

Hope that helps :)
Thanks for your helpful reply, good to know that my amp is up to snuff! As for the 2019 version of the HD 600, I've heard and read that it's not quite as nice and premium as the original (although it does look a bit better with the updated design), and apparently it doesn't come with the case, which I'd love to have. Given that both are available to me for about 300 euros, I'd probably prefer the original, and over the years I've actually kinda warmed up to the design of it too haha...

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #19,982 of 23,456
Thanks for your helpful reply, good to know that my amp is up to snuff! As for the 2019 version of the HD 600, I've heard and read that it's not quite as nice and premium as the original (although it does look a bit better with the updated design), and apparently it doesn't come with the case, which I'd love to have. Given that both are available to me for about 300 euros, I'd probably prefer the original, and over the years I've actually kinda warmed up to the design of it too haha...

my final suggestion will be see if you can demo the 2019 version or consider to buy from Amazon, easy returns, i doubt that suddenly they built poorly or not up to the standard, but i can be mistaken, feel and touch in person will tell you more than any words.

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #19,983 of 23,456
Dear headphone enthusiasts,

This is my first post on this forum. I wouldn't say I'm a very serious audiophile, but ever since my granddad gave me his original pair of HD 600s, I've really begun to care about good sound quality.

Now I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with. First of all, I listen to my music (mostly pop and rock, but also the occasional orchestral soundtrack) on my HD 600 through a Marantz PM 5004 amplifier. It sounds lovely, but I'm wondering whether I'm actually unleashing (most of) the full potential of these headphones. Do you think I need a special headphone amp or is the Marantz adequate enough? My other audio equipment isn't really very high-end...

Secondly, I'd love to get a second HD 600, since my current pair has been used a lot and is showing signs of wear and doesn't include the beautiful case anymore. Now I can get an original, new pair (with the marble design and sturdy case) for 290 euros, but I see there's also an updated version for 2019 (without case apparently) for around the same price. Which one should I get? Has the sound changed?

I hope someone can answer these questions for me, thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Martijn from The Netherlands

Besides possible impedance mismatches, which could lead to non-linear frequency response, there is also the case of introducing an analogue interlink in the chain (the interlink between your source and the integrated amp, because your amp doesn't have a dac onboard) which is not optimal.
Imho, nothing beats an integrated dac/amp, fed by a digital source. It has the shortest signal path.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #19,984 of 23,456
Besides possible impedance mismatches, which could lead to non-linear frequency response, there is also the case of introducing an analogue interlink in the chain (the interlink between your source and the integrated amp, because your amp doesn't have a dac onboard) which is not optimal.
Imho, nothing beats an integrated dac/amp, fed by a digital source. It has the shortest signal path.
Mmm I've never really given that much thought. I listen to a lot of records too though, so the simple combination of a turntable, an amplifier, and a pair of headphones just made perfect sense to me, and I'd never considered other equipment... Should I want to listen to files on my laptop or phone though, do you have any suggestions for dac/amp sets that won't break the bank? I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I'm looking to spend no more than these headphones' value (around 300 euros) on that sort of equipment. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #19,985 of 23,456
Mmm I've never really given that much thought. I listen to a lot of records too though, so the simple combination of a turntable, an amplifier, and a pair of headphones just made perfect sense to me, and I'd never considered other equipment... Should I want to listen to files on my laptop or phone though, do you have any suggestions for dac/amp sets that won't break the bank? I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I'm looking to spend no more than these headphones' value (around 300 euros) on that sort of equipment. Any recommendations?

Chord Electronics Mojo? You would not regret. But you need an adapter from 6.3mm to 3.5mm.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #19,986 of 23,456

If it doesn't have to be portable: Fiio K5 Pro (€145,-).
Portable: xDuoo XD-05 plus (€239,-).

I just bought the latter and loving it paired with the HD600.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #19,987 of 23,456

That budget number is actually easier to accommodate than you might think, especially if you're willing to buy used to start. Look into JDS Labs and also Schiit. I'm not 100% sure both ship to you, but I think they do.

My current desktop rig is:
Schiit Modi 3 (DAC)
Schiit Loki (Eq)
JDS Labs Atom (amp)

It's a budget rig for sure (~ $350 US new) but it's really fantastic, and if you don't get the Loki EQ, it's only $200. Plus, they're all very small boxes, which is really convenient (I frequently carry the whole stack from room to room).

I also have a Marantz home system (SR6009) and my HD600s do sound quite good when driven by its integral headphone amp. But the improvement from this Schiit/JDS system is real. I resisted the idea of getting a dedicated HP amp for years, thinking it wouldn't make any real difference (like so many things we talk ourselves into buying as a result of hanging out here). But my curiosity got the best of me early last year, and I'm so glad I did it. As much as I loved the 600s with my Marantz and my FiiO portable gear, this proper amp rig helped me understand why they are legendary. It wasn't a night vs day difference, but it was significant. The biggest improvements to my ear being in the low end, the clarity, and the space between the voices & instruments. I didn't find the need to boost the low end as often, and in general it just sounded more real, more engaging. I know it's a cliche to say that I heard new things in all my favorite music, but I did -- and continue to all the time. It's really cool.

(I'll add that at first I had a full Schiit budget stack, including their Magni 3 amp, which is also awesome. But I liked the JDS Atom a little more, so I returned the Magni.)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #19,991 of 23,456
In theory yes, in practice you need to turn your device volume to 3/4 maximum volume in order to make it sound good.
There's an interesting difference between my phone (Samsung A50) and my laptop. On my phone, I usually listen to music with my Sennheiser Momentum In Ears at 40 to 60% volume depending on the source material. I just tested with my HD 600, and I had to turn the volume up to 60-80% to get a similar experience. On my laptop (pretty old Acer), that's probably quite a different case... Don't you think the DFR will at least be good enough for my phone though, given that I already get respectable volume with the HD 600 at 60 to 80%? Please bear in mind, I'm an absolute newbie to the world of headphones and amplifiers, so forgive my ignorance...

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #19,992 of 23,456
DFR volume is irrelevant to the volume of the device connected.
DFR can output 2V rms and it will output that amount no matter the device being connected to.

For the HD600 isn't sufficient enough to drive it to full potential.
For 110db you need 2.5V rms without clipping.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #19,995 of 23,456
You will get loud enough but it will not be sufficient.
Not enough headroom.
Consider something more powerful like the Fiio Q1 markii from it's balanced output it goes almost 5Vrms.
Too bad I got a little impatient and went ahead and bought the DFR with USB A to C cable after having read quite a few positive reviews about the pairing... Just read your comment and now I'm doubting my decision. Well I can always send it back I guess, or even try it first. I can't imagine it being a huge disappointment, and I love the idea of the small size and versatility of the DFR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back