Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #19,563 of 23,454
I’ve owned my HD600 for a few years now. Up until this week I have modded them all but removing the foam behind the driver’s. After much thought I finally removed them & I am in love with them more than EVER!
It removed most of the overemphasized warmth in vocals & what sounded to me like a bit of bloat in the lower mids. I expected that to happen & was happy it did. But what most surprised me was the improvement in bass. Not only did that tighten up considerably but it feels more extended to my ears as well.
Instruments are definitely more separated too...All I can say is that a fully modded set of HD600 is a tru giant slayer in my book :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #19,564 of 23,454
These are pretty great - the best of 6** series IMO. Obviously they lack bass under 70 Hz and combined with the 3-5k rise - it makes them sound light. I'm in the middle of a dynamat/felt/Blue Tack mods. When I'm happy with that I'll try the pads - adding material, maybe changing the angles, we'll see. Many don't like the non stock pads.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #19,565 of 23,454
These are pretty great - the best of 6** series IMO. Obviously they lack bass under 70 Hz and combined with the 3-5k rise - it makes them sound light. I'm in the middle of a dynamat/felt/Blue Tack mods. When I'm happy with that I'll try the pads - adding material, maybe changing the angles, we'll see. Many don't like the non stock pads.
Bagwell, do give the dekoni fenestrated sheepskin a try. I find it to be beneficial tonally by smoothing the presence region.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #19,566 of 23,454
I'm going to have to do some more listening to confirm, but does it seem that worn pads sound better than new? Perhaps more even responsed in the mids to upper parts of the spectrum?

Way to confirm this is to press the cups bringing the drivers closer to the ears.

I know opposite is true for 6XX. New pads sounds better.

By worn, I mean pads that has gotten compressable as new pads hold shape and provides more space and room between thrle driver and the ears.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #19,568 of 23,454
I'm going to have to do some more listening to confirm, but does it seem that worn pads sound better than new? Perhaps more even responsed in the mids to upper parts of the spectrum?

Way to confirm this is to press the cups bringing the drivers closer to the ears.

I know opposite is true for 6XX. New pads sounds better.

By worn, I mean pads that has gotten compressable as new pads hold shape and provides more space and room between thrle driver and the ears.

I can confirm that my regular pads are in very good shape, and that using an after market pad to test (angled and quite thick), and raising and lowering the stock pads, and even round pads ad no pads I've come to the conclusion that my stock pads are a bit too high for ideal sound, not clear how much - can't be much. Then there are issues of seal, material, density. etc.

It's easy to mod them to make them not rattle as much with big bass, and curb the reflections - but the pad seems to be by far to have the most effect on the sound. Every aftermarket pad seems to have detractors to go along with the boosters. I'll take the aftermarket thick pad and use that as my test bed. Going to need to measure and not just trust ears.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #19,569 of 23,454
It's easy to mod them to make them not rattle as much with big bass, and curb the reflections - but the pad seems to be by far to have the most effect on the sound. Every aftermarket pad seems to have detractors to go along with the boosters. I'll take the aftermarket thick pad and use that as my test bed. Going to need to measure and not just trust ears.
Certainly. After taking off the fresh pads, and putting back on the worn pads that the inside foam got compressed, I can confirm sound is tonally better (for my taste anyways).

It seems to me when the pad wears out, the highs seems to get tamed, and sounds less warm. Sounds to me the response becomes more neutral to my ears. To my ears, 600's character is becoming closer to 650/6XX when pads wear down. I think best tonality is some where between 600 and 650 with fresh pads.

I'm interested what others say about this if they happen to compare fresh and worn pads.

Actually, your pads are worn. I know because my 6XX is pretty new, and it's quite firm, and this might be due to Sennheiser making firmer pads now.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #19,570 of 23,454
I have the HD6XX but many people seem to praise the HD600. Seems some even regret giving up or selling their pair of HD600. I found a used pair online and I'm wondering if it's worth the cost. Looks like they could use new pads though. I've read and heard that the HD600 is more analytical though compared to the 650/6XX.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649496354-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #19,571 of 23,454
I have the HD6XX but many people seem to praise the HD600. Seems some even regret giving up or selling their pair of HD600. I found a used pair online and I'm wondering if it's worth the cost. Looks like they could use new pads though. I've read and heard that the HD600 is more analytical though compared to the 650/6XX.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649496354-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/
Hard to say which one is better. HD650 is lush. HD600 is neutral. HD650 has better bass and a pleasant sound. HD600 makes female voice shines. They are more similar than different, but strangely they complement each other well.

I wont sell both.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #19,572 of 23,454
I like my HD600 more than my HD650, I am planning to sell the 650 as I have Fidelio X1 to complement the 600.

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #19,574 of 23,454
I notice you have both 336SE and Jot. Which has larger soundstage for 650/600 with the balanced mode of Jot.? Thanks
I am not an expert, but I find the Jot has more wider soundstage. 336SE has more punch and sound smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back