Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #19,546 of 23,429
The problem with the HD600 is that the sub-bass response drops off quickly. Classical music can go as low as 16 Hz, which means that those of us who listen to classical music are missing the full impact of acoustic piano and full orchestral scores. So "tuned according to classical" is absurd. If a headphone is "tuned according to" any kind of music, you should still have full frequency response through the audible spectrum and NOT puffed up bass.

That said, I really like my HD600's, second only to my Focal Clear set.

NO! Subbass is only a very narrow frequency band. It's a illegitimate statement to allege absurd only because of roll off of subbass.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #19,547 of 23,429
Well, at least there is more bass than AKG K7-- series, which isn't saying too much, particularly for the HD600. 650/6XX has more of course.

The big round pads on the AKGs doesn't help with bass, hardly hear much bass with them. I much prefer Sennheisers over those AKG K7-- series in terms of overall response.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #19,548 of 23,429
I never had good luck with EQ. I don't notice much of a difference besides the sounding like the drivers are getting a gimped signal.

Besides, the distortion is in the bass for the Sennheisers.

I want at planar bass, and Focal can pull off more bass, why not Sennheiser? I'll take it as the limitation of the driver.

I want moor bass for 600 and 800. 00 stands for lacking bass. :confused:
Dynamat mod + Analog EQ :)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #19,549 of 23,429

It can't really take it without sounding amusical. I'm adding blue tack (solidify the frame) and felt to see if I can get less from 3k and up but more direct and less reflected, which will to some extent raise the perceived bass. If I get anywhere good, I'll report.

p.s. just saw the dynamat comment...

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #19,550 of 23,429
Listening to the 58X right now while the HD600's sitting right next to me.

58X bass is just fine for me :)

Something I'm discovering about the HD600 is the more you open them up with an epic audio chain, the better. Meaning epic: amp and dac. That digital conversion has to be on point and you really need some good power for the 600s.

My audio chain goes:

PC > W4S Recovery > D10 (for spdif output) > Khadas Tone Board > Project Horizon > HD600

-waiting for a Paul Pang V2 usb card to come in to open up more of the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #19,554 of 23,429
It can't really take it without sounding amusical. I'm adding blue tack (solidify the frame) and felt to see if I can get less from 3k and up but more direct and less reflected, which will to some extent raise the perceived bass. If I get anywhere good, I'll report.

p.s. just saw the dynamat comment...
Mine has dynamat. Helps solidify the bass. Just a bit of Loki after that.

Im also using the dekoni fenestrated. So upper mid is more even with the rest.

Did i say I love my 600? I do.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #19,555 of 23,429

Sheepskin? Those seems to reduce the upper-mids to some degree depending on the pad type, also warming up the sound a bit. Their own velour seems to warm it up the most. I wonder if the fenestrated pads make the HD600 sound very close to the HD650/6XX?

Any others has experience Dekoni pads?

https://dekoniaudio.com/frequency-response-curve-new-dekoni-sennheiser-hd600-pads/

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #19,556 of 23,429
Sheepskin? Those seems to reduce the upper-mids to some degree depending on the pad type, also warming up the sound a bit. Their own velour seems to warm it up the most. I wonder if the fenestrated pads make the HD600 sound very close to the HD650/6XX?

Any others has experience Dekoni pads?

https://dekoniaudio.com/frequency-response-curve-new-dekoni-sennheiser-hd600-pads/
Yes sheepskin. It does warm it up a bit. But female vocal still shines better out of the 600.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #19,557 of 23,429

600 is very good, Silver Ears helped remind me of that. But, stock it is a bit ascetic. Now this is slight, a bit of the character, not the whole character. The bass is as damped and nimble as one could want, but, the lack of/movement of air in the bass is the one black eye the 600 has.

Then there are warm cans. Warm historically includes the HD-650, LCD2 2C, HE-500. For whatever reason I've rejected the first two (not modded), and favor the HE-500 (well modded).

There are some artifacts in the 500 that causes it to be more colored on something like solo piano, but I find the 500 (modded) covers more types of music with detail and honesty with a bit of warmth (or THD/ringing if you don't like subjective terms) then the 600. It's akin to something like a Class AB transistor amp that is bass shy (over damped) vs a hybrid tube from ARC in the 1980/90's.

Between the two - 500 & 600, not only do they hold up, they are better than some cans being sold currently.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #19,558 of 23,429
I’ve found EQing the sub bass on the 600 really helps. You have to get the right frequency range though. 4 or 5 dB centered at 40 Hz brings out just enough sub bass impact while not becoming distorted. In fact, I find the HD 600 to respond better to EQ in the sub bass than the 6XX. To me, the 6XX doesn’t have as focused or tight bass.

There’s just so much the HD 600 does right in terms of tonality and natural sound. With well recorded music, things sound incredibly realistic. They are my go to headphones for classical/soundtrack and instrumentals. I have yet to hear a headphone with such a balanced and smooth sound as the 600. It’s one of the most honest headphones, they don’t take away or give anything extra the music doesn’t have already. Also, even though others say they are not good for gaming, I actually disagree. The 600s are detailed enough to help pinpoint locations and bring out low volume sounds.

I still prefer the HD 600 over the 6XX and 58X.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back