Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #18,781 of 23,458
@artnoi , great collection of headphones.

Thanks! Although these three headphones are supposed to be accurate, non-coloring headphones, I find each of them suits different recordings with the HD 600 being the most versatile. The beyers are just too unforgiving on poor recordings, and K7XXs being the most colored.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #18,782 of 23,458
Thanks! Although these three headphones are supposed to be accurate, non-coloring headphones, I find each of them suits different recordings with the HD 600 being the most versatile. The beyers are just too unforgiving on poor recordings, and K7XXs being the most colored.
I've never been one to seek "accurate, non-coloring" headphones but did get the HD600 since I wanted a standard to what most headphones are compared to but lately there seems to a changing point of view as to what is considered a neutral/natural sound signature. I think my preferences have evolved to just find different sound signatures and just enjoy how different headphones present a song.

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #18,783 of 23,458
What I've found to be interesting is that, while popular notions of neutrality seem to be shifting, the HD 600 is still considered to be one of the most neutral headphones available. In fact, the things the HD 600 had been repeatedly bludgeoned about—the warm tilt and the smooth, gentle treble—are now seen as points in its favor, whereas headphones that drew a nice, flat line on DF compensated graphs are now considered trebly and bass shy, which is exactly how I tend to hear them now.

When compensated with preliminary Harman-like curves, the HD 600 looks quite good apart from the obvious bass rolloff. The only real deviation is the bump in the upper midrange, which people seem to be split on as to whether it's merely euphonic or crosses the line into unpleasant. I'm in the former category, though I can see how somebody could get the impression that it's too much. For them, there's always the HD 650 (though it's apparently being replaced with the HD 660S, so new ones will soon enough become scarce).

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #18,784 of 23,458
I was looking for the Sennheiser HD 600 appreciation thread and couldn't find it, so here it is.
smile.gif
Can i ask you if it is better this headphone or grado sr80 e ?

When recently listening to some of the current flagship headphones (at time of writing this includes the Sennheiser HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1), each of the stockists I went to had the HD 600 on hand. Having never heard the HD 600 before, I decided to try them. Whilst the flagships 'wowed' me in many ways and microscopically revealed details I'd never before heard in music that I'd listened to for years, I found myself coming back to the neutral-sounding presentation of the HD 600, which worked really well with every recording I heard through them and have since heard through them since purchasing them. For me, there's little to fault with the HD 600.

I love the HD 600 - they're awesome!
smile_phones.gif
Can i ask you this
I hate you right now mdra, mine arent due until Valentines

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #18,785 of 23,458
Can i ask you this

I haven't heard the SR80e, though I have heard the SR60 and I think the SR80. The Grado sound is generally quite different from and noticeably more upfront than the house sound of the Sennheiser HD series and - to make a Sennheiser comparison - can sometimes be likened to the relatively more forward sound of the Sennheiser HD 25. As with the HD 600 and HD 25, the HD 600 and SR80e seem like different sounding headphones and each likely suited to different listening preferences. The HD 600 is something that works in a very balanced way for pretty much any music it is fed and is a very versatile headphone in that regard, whereas the HD 25 / SR 80 can be better suited to music conducive to being appreciated with a more upfront sonic delivery, such as rock music. If you can manage to, I'd recommend listening to each headphone before purchasing, and I hope these words are a helpful pointer to you in your music and headphone journey. Best. W :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #18,787 of 23,458
HD600 is among the safest purchases in headphones. It may not be your preferred headphone, but it will be competent at your genre. It holds its value for good reason.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #18,788 of 23,458
can i ask you what is the difference between a two pin cable and mmcx cable. Two pin has better audio quality?
No. The HD 600 uses 2-pin configuration for cable. That's it.
Mine has intermittent connection problem which I believe could be fixed by getting a HD 650 cable

Dec 31, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #18,789 of 23,458
can i ask you what is the difference between a two pin cable and mmcx cable. Two pin has better audio quality?

2 Pin and MMCX are connectors - not cables. Manufacturer's use either one of them because they have their own advantages (and disadvantages) and is mostly because of their durability and ease of use - and not because of audio quality.

The quality of connectors are also questioned in personal audio - gold plated, rhodium, etc - in relation to SQ improvements. But that's highly debated (similar to cables) - i don't even want to go there.

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #18,791 of 23,458
What 3rd party cables (balanced 2.5 TRRS or 4 pin) are matched with HD 600 given a decent sound with clear detail, sweet midrange and defined bass as I listen most with vocals like Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy...
Unless there is a problem with the construction any cable that has the connections you require for your setup (2.5 TRRS, 4 pin XLR, dual 3 pin XLR, Sony 4.4mm) will work. If you are thinking that a cable will alter the sound I'd suggest getting another headphone, amp or DAC as better use of your funds.

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #18,792 of 23,458
Unless there is a problem with the construction any cable that has the connections you require for your setup (2.5 TRRS, 4 pin XLR, dual 3 pin XLR, Sony 4.4mm) will work. If you are thinking that a cable will alter the sound I'd suggest getting another headphone, amp or DAC as better use of your funds.

I did replace the cables for Hifiman HE-400 to avoid the sibilance of the stock cables and it works. So this time I will give a try to change the softness of HD-600 stock cables...

Jan 1, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #18,793 of 23,458
What 3rd party cables (balanced 2.5 TRRS or 4 pin) are matched with HD 600 given a decent sound with clear detail, sweet midrange and defined bass as I listen most with vocals like Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy...

I did replace the cables for Hifiman HE-400 to avoid the sibilance of the stock cables and it works. So this time I will give a try to change the softness of HD-600 stock cables...

My very slightly used HD600's came already with a custom 1/4" Cardas cable. I purchased another custom cable (this time 4-pin XLR) when I got my HD6XX, again using Cardas wire and connectors. And it needn't be super expensive IMO, either. I think I spent $75 for mine? While it's not cheap for sure, there are far, FAR costlier options out there.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard a stock Sennheiser cable other than the first 2 days or so after I got the HD6XX. But that was because A. The stock HD6XX cable was painfully short, and B. I already had the one with my HD600.

Now, I'm not a critical listener to begin with. If you want to know about attack and decay and plankton, I'm the wrong person to ask. I describe what my ears hear in general terms only.

What I can say without reservation, is that there is QUITE a substantial volume difference on my amp (Jotunheim) between 1/4" and XLR. And that volume difference would make it exceedingly difficult to compare the sound between the two, even if I was so inclined.

Long story short, I believe you're headed in the right direction choosing an XLR cable if for no other reason than it should increase the power available from your amp (assuming most 1/4" + XLR combo amps function roughly as my Jotunheim does). Having custom cables in both flavors, I use the XLR cable.

Jan 1, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #18,794 of 23,458
I hesitate to post. First of 2018! I have to ask. Why, when it is difficult enough to tell the difference between amps and DACs packed full of electronics do people insist that they can hear the difference in construction of a few feet of wire is beyond me. Let's leave it there. Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #18,795 of 23,458
I must mention that I am running the HD 600s straight from my Macbook Pro.

I get so tired of these kinds of posts. You know the HD600 require a decent amp to actually show their worth, yet you run them from a headphone jack on a macbook and wonder why they aren't actually engaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back