Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #17,791 of 23,499
  I think you're right, qrtas
Now i have to find a way to make it a bit loose, i feel them a bit too tight
Do i risk to break it if i try to bind this metal ?

For the HD600 you can bend the adjustment sliders, extend them all the way out and holding only the metal part gently bend them, don't go too loose since you still need some clamping to get a good seal

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #17,794 of 23,499
There is no closed headphones as good as HD600, i presume
I ordered Oppo pm 3, they arrived yesterday, it sounds great but not as the HD600
Maybe i say that because i was used to HD600, and if i use OPPO PM 3 a bit more time, i will change my mind

I get what you're saying and to an extent, I do agree. I (with limited experience) personally haven't heard a closed headphone I like as much as the HD600 at a similar price point. I thought the PM3 was good, but not quite what I was looking for (felt kind of dark) and while I love my TH-X00, it's also not a fully closed headphone, though it does leak less than the HD600.

If I have an AKG K7XX and a Sennheiser HD 558, would it be stupid to consider buying an HD 600? I like the AKG K7XX a lot, but something about the HD 558's upper bass notes seems overdone to me. 

All I can say to you is that I own the HD558 (was my first decent headphone actually) and since I bought the HD600, I don't think I've put the HD558s on for anything other than comparison purposes. And as @John Q Lin added, you can also just get the HD650 and call it good. I know even if I had gotten the HD650 instead, I still wouldn't have looked back at my HD558.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #17,795 of 23,499
I have the 558 & 600. In comparing the two I am surprised at how close the 558 are to the 600. Definately not a HUGE difference. I prefer the 558 for movies & gaming due to the wider stage. Are they as refined as the 600? No. But they hold their own for sure. Plus you don't need an external amp for the 558, they sound good right out of phone.
I did however mod the 558 by removing the foam pad on the inside of the outer screen which opened them up. Some say it brings them to par with the 598 but I cannot attest to that myself since I haven't compared the two (558 modded to 598)

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #17,796 of 23,499
I have the 558 & 600. In comparing the two I am surprised at how close the 558 are to the 600. Definately not a HUGE difference. I prefer the 558 for movies & gaming due to the wider stage. Are they as refined as the 600? No. But they hold their own for sure. Plus you don't need an external amp for the 558, they sound good right out of phone.
I did however mod the 558 by removing the foam pad on the inside of the outer screen which opened them up. Some say it brings them to par with the 598 but I cannot attest to that myself since I haven't compared the two (558 modded to 598)

I had your same impressions upon switching from my HD558 to the HD600 actually. But since the HD600 did most things better overall and was more comfortable, I haven't really looked back since. That said, whatever the heck their to that advertised EAR tech, it works as far as I'm concerned.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #17,798 of 23,499
The OP just said he didn't like too much upper bass, that's exactly what 650 boosts. Many (like me) find them a bit too warm for this very reason. HD600 is the better answer here, imo.

Agreed!

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #17,799 of 23,499

I have the 558 and 600 as well. Frankly I noticed what seemed like a big difference in the 600s in the presence or punch of the sound with the 600s with the same dac/amp combination. Tor music I now use the 600s exclusively. I still use the 558 for movies in large part because you can run them well from the headphone jack of my iPad (as you have said). I too have done the 558 foam mod.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #17,800 of 23,499
  If I have an AKG K7XX and a Sennheiser HD 558, would it be stupid to consider buying an HD 600? I like the AKG K7XX a lot, but something about the HD 558's upper bass notes seems overdone to me. 

I have a K702. To me, there is something kind of unnatural and "electronic" about it when listening to music. I don't know how to describe this better. There is plenty of detail. With break-in, there is no shortage of bass. The highs are fine and not piercing (but my hearing drops off at 12K). They are comfortable on my bald head (my wife hates the bumps. They sound better with a decently powerful amp, but I still am not that happy with them. I use them for listening to TV shows when others are still sleeping, but almost never for music.

But the HD-600 does everything I need. It has plenty of bass for classical music, The midrange is clear and adequately detailed. It's comfortable. There is some sense of a "soundstage," but I've not compared to cans like the HD-800s that are supposed to have more of that. It's not peaky. With a decent amp, I don't notice a "veil," but they did sound kind of withdrawn when underpowered by my old AVR and a miniature HeadRoom amp.

I had the HD-650s but found them too dark-sounding. I didn't hear anything that I liked better than the 600s, so I sold them quickly for about what I paid.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #17,802 of 23,499
Glad I purchased one, more and more I use it more I like it...
It has very good SQ, and is not a fatiguing listening.
Now after some use find the mids more notable, but something strange thing on the Highest notes, maybe not so defined, or grainy, it seems the instruments at the top high sounds more thinner than usual, sometimes the highest notes sounds like a noise other than an instrument. (Some Cymbal / drum brushes sweeps for exsmple) with other hps find them more musical.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #17,803 of 23,499
I have been going back and forth between the 600 and the 650. I listened to the 600 for a couple of weeks and sent it back for the 650. I just can't get the 600 out of my brain! I like the additional bass on the 650 to some extent, but that upper mid bite that the 600 has on guitars is gone. They are also slower on my equipment. I had never heard a headphone tuned like the 600 until now and had been used to warmer headphones since a few years back trying some AKG's and Beyers put me off as I felt the treble sounded almost synthetic. I have a pm3 loaner which does sound good but to me it is almost like a nicer HP50 (build, comfort).

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #17,804 of 23,499
After 2 days of tests and lovely music, I must say that my HD600 sound so much better with the new Meier Corda Jazz, the sound quality is actually changed, the subtle "veil" is not there anymore, crossfade also improved the soundstage, wow what a change!

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #17,805 of 23,499
  After 2 days of tests and lovely music, I must say that my HD600 sound so much better with the new Meier Corda Jazz, they quality of sound actually changed, the subtle "veil" is not there anymore, crossfade also improved the soundstage, wow what a change!

Hi Jedi
Mmm Interesting box.
Where did you purchase it? What is the price range expected for it?
What dac are you using to pair it ?

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back