Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #17,761 of 23,486
I thought you meant the depth, sorry. No, they feel a little bit tighter in there in terms of circumference.

I got crosseyed at the alignments of that "table"...that 1mm is a lot larger than it looks (ie I can actually it's a bit more cramped around  the earlobes, although not really pressing against them), but in your case since you don't like the earlobes touching the earpads then 1mm less is just making that worse.

That said, how are they "touching"? Because the thing with the HD600 and similar, oval-earcup headphones is that they don't have much front to rear length to begin with, and there's a difference between just plain touching and outright pressing against. If your ears aren't getting mashed it's just a matter of getting used to them.

Alternately you can just get rid of the HD600 and get the HE400S or HE350. These come with round earcups that have more real estate front to rear.

Well, ears are literally on either at the top of my ear if I keep 600s bit low or on the earlobe if I keep 600s bit high. I can try to see if I can center them a bit while physically tuck my ears in when I get on my pc tomorrow.

The regular HM5 velours do seem to have 9 more mm of clearance though from stock - I am just not sure if they will fit on 600s.. You have angled HM5, which seem to fit but regular are bit more circular. I will ask on reddit too.

I find my ears being free when I use my beyerdynamic DT880 stock earpads. I wish I can get something similar in comfort.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #17,763 of 23,486
I find my ears being free when I use my beyerdynamic DT880 stock earpads. I wish I can get something similar in comfort.

That's what I pointed out, the earpads aren't your inherent problem, but the shape of the earcups themselves. A round earcup headphone like that would have more clearance front to rear.

An alternative to the HD600 that you can look into would be the HE400i. There's the LCD-2F but the earpads have a relatively narrow rectangular cut out.

Well, ears are literally on either at the top of my ear if I keep 600s bit low or on the earlobe if I keep 600s bit high. I can try to see if I can center them a bit while physically tuck my ears in when I get on my pc tomorrow..

I actually wear mine with the rear of the earpads gently pushing against the earlobes, bending some of it forward a little bit, to have the driver positioned a little bit ahead of my earlobes. It doesn't hurt because I bent the metal headband arms for a looser fit, ie, there is barely any clamp (feels like the K7xx series' self-adjusting headband).

If you haven't done that yet, you need to stretch out the metal arms, then bend them to the opposite direction at the center of each metal arm then closer to each gimbal, holding it for ten seconds at a time then moving to the next point, until you've done enough cycles that the metal arms are nearly straight. After that just adjust how you wear them, ie, how many clicks out from the tightest setting.

For fit reference, here's my HD600 over the presentation box, and the cut out represents the stock shape. These are both Sennheiser pads though.

The regular HM5 velours do seem to have 9 more mm of clearance though from stock - I am just not sure if they will fit on 600s.. You have angled HM5, which seem to fit but regular are bit more circular. I will ask on reddit too.

AFAIK they'd fit, and actually the regular ones were the first to be tried on the HD600 by one guy on Reddit. And then later one other guy tried the angled pads.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #17,764 of 23,486
I just received my used HD600 but it has only male 1/4" 6.3mm and no converter to 3.5mm plug included. That little converter costs $20 on amazon??? Does it have to be from Sennheiser or would any work? I might look on ebay..

My amp is DACport HD so only have 3.5mm plug

If your hd600 has the original cable, you don't need an adapter. What you need to do is unscrew the 6.3mm. The 3.5 is inside. I don't remember if you unscrew it or just pull it out. Let me know if that works.

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #17,765 of 23,486
If your hd600 has the original cable, you don't need an adapter. What you need to do is unscrew the 6.3mm. The 3.5 is inside. I don't remember if you unscrew it or just pull it out. Let me know if that works.

it's enough to pull it, it took a while to me too :D

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #17,766 of 23,486

Ah, you were right. Just have to unscrew it. I feel bit foolish afterwards :p

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #17,767 of 23,486
That's what I pointed out, the earpads aren't your inherent problem, but the shape of the earcups themselves. A round earcup headphone like that would have more clearance front to rear.

An alternative to the HD600 that you can look into would be the HE400i. There's the LCD-2F but the earpads have a relatively narrow rectangular cut out.

Are the sound signatures similar? LCD-2F is very expensive. Someone was trying to sell me their beyerdynamic T90 for good price but I won bid for HD600 for $175 - waaaay less than T90 so I passed it up.

I actually wear mine with the rear of the earpads gently pushing against the earlobes, bending some of it forward a little bit, to have the driver positioned a little bit ahead of my earlobes. It doesn't hurt because I bent the metal headband arms for a looser fit, ie, there is barely any clamp (feels like the K7xx series' self-adjusting headband).

I will try that.
I don't know if I want to stretch out the headband btw.

AFAIK they'd fit, and actually the regular ones were the first to be tried on the HD600 by one guy on Reddit. And then later one other guy tried the angled pads.

hmmm, that's good. 10mm extra width may be enough. I need to measure my ear size to see where it would sit tbh :xf_eek:

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #17,768 of 23,486
Ah, you were right. Just have to unscrew it. I feel bit foolish afterwards
tongue.gif

I have the original cable; the larger plug simply pulls off, revealing the 3.5 mm connector. Maybe the later builds went to a screw-on adapter.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #17,769 of 23,486
Are the sound signatures similar? LCD-2F is very expensive. 

Similar but a heck of a lot smoother at the top end, and has more low bass (note the non-Fazor sounds more like the HD650). Problem is, even with the much larger round earcups, the opening on the earpads corresponds to the size of the rectangular planar drivers, so I can't be confident in thinking they'd have a lot more area to accomodate your earlobes the way you want.

Someone was trying to sell me their beyerdynamic T90 for good price but I won bid for HD600 for $175 - waaaay less than T90 so I passed it up.

Great price and I still prefer the HD600's sound to the treble peak of the Beyers, but right now you're having issues with the fit. That said, looks like you got them used, and the earpads could be worn out, but if you buy a new one without bending it, it won't last too long before they reach that condition if you wear it several hours a day without relaxing the clamp on the default shape of the metal arms. You'll just end up spending a lot just keeping it comfortable.

I will try that.
I don't know if I want to stretch out the headband btw.

Just don't bend or stretch the plastic part. You "stretch" out the metal arms to expose their full length, then bend at the center of each metal arm, then closer to the gimbals, holding it for 10secs at a time and cycling through all those points until you get the general shape as in the photo I posted once you push the metal arms back into the plastic headband. Before bending my HD600 was either putting a lot of pressure all the way down the earpads (but more at the bottom), after bending there's just a little bit of clamp that can be felt at the top of the earpad but everywhere else it's barely there. Prolongs the earpad life too.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #17,770 of 23,486
Great price and I still prefer the HD600's sound to the treble peak of the Beyers, but right now you're having issues with the fit. That said, looks like you got them used, and the earpads could be worn out, but if you buy a new one without bending it, it won't last too long before they reach that condition if you wear it several hours a day without relaxing the clamp on the default shape of the metal arms. You'll just end up spending a lot just keeping it comfortable.

Just don't bend or stretch the plastic part. You "stretch" out the metal arms to expose their full length, then bend at the center of each metal arm, then closer to the gimbals, holding it for 10secs at a time and cycling through all those points until you get the general shape as in the photo I posted once you push the metal arms back into the plastic headband. Before bending my HD600 was either putting a lot of pressure all the way down the earpads (but more at the bottom), after bending there's just a little bit of clamp that can be felt at the top of the earpad but everywhere else it's barely there. Prolongs the earpad life too.

I ordered the regular HM5 velours and the plastic mounting ring. I will try that. If I still find it uncomfortable, I will just sell the HD600 with the HM5. I should make back the 217 I spent altogether on these ($175 for HD600, 15 for mounting ring, $27 for HM5 velours).

I reckon the extra 10mm space in width and 5mm of extra depth room will be sufficient. I will let you know how it goes when I receive the items later in the week. Thanks for the help! :)

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #17,771 of 23,486
  They were brand new. I'm still fairly young (in my low 30s) with very good hearing for all I can tell (had my ears tested not so long ago and can still annoyingly detect high-frequency sounds even at low volume in all sorts of places where others don't notice anything). Might it be possible that Sennheiser has recently adjusted the tonal characteristics of the headphones or this was simply due to the way I was driving them? I find it hard to imagine that people would describe the sound I was getting out of them as natural or neutral for classical/jazz/folk recordings. I don't think I would have had any particular complaints about the treble, but the unnatural bass boost was clear as day to me in a way where it was detrimental to the overall presentation even overshadowing other frequencies of the human voice in something very simple such as this:

https://soundcloud.com/josepharthur/what-a-wonderful-world

or this:

And in this example that I posted earlier, the bass would significantly distract from everything else:

It just sounded obviously incorrect and, personally to me, tiring over the long term. For certain types of pop/rock it may be another matter as there's often not a real-life reference in the first place that you could compare it to in order to judge whether it sounds right or wrong. For more "artificial" recordings they were actually loads of fun. Drums sounded like a thousand bucks as well.

Why do you say that there isn't anything that is uncolored?

The HD600's are definitely colored. Before I start off, I wish I got to experience a HiFi system where the body of a piano can be replicated, the snap and realism of tom-toms, the texture/width/sparkle of high-hats (at the same time), the drone of an acoustic guitar accompanied with the texture and accent of the strings, the fullness and echoic harmony of a vocal fortissimo, the shrill of violins without distortion and mass and body of a cello. I believe that kind of system can't be found in a set of midrange set of cans like the HD600, for now I'll continue to attending my friend's recording studio and orchestra halls.

Though the HD600's can't reproduce those, the HD600 does more things right than things wrong compared to other headphones and I appreciate the set of cans for that.
Unfortunately I've never had the K702 so I can't do a direct comparison in tandem with your K702, but I did own the Q701 just last week. I've owned the Q701 for 5 years as a daily driver and each time I've switched to the Q701 from the HD600 my opinion never changes between the two.
The AKG is dry and instruments don't have their own tonal characteristics for some reason.
The Sennheiser is wet, slightly too thick on initial impressions but it's very real after doing some brain burn-in.

The song you provided "What a Wonderful World" sounds like the vocalist was being recorded with a very thick/warm sounding microphone and that obviously doesn't go well with the warm HD600. With the ER4S I can detect that same warmth (and in my opinion the ER4S is a very accurate IEM, a bit more than the HD600 IMO)

https://jamielynnnoon.bandcamp.com/track/to-finally
^Here's a song I praise for its' cleanliness and forgiveness that I'm able to play through cold (analytical/treble-happy) sources. It shouldn't have that much warmth/upper midrange bleed you're talking about.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #17,772 of 23,486

The HD600's are definitely colored. Before I start off, I wish I got to experience a HiFi system where the body of a piano can be replicated, the snap and realism of tom-toms, the texture/width/sparkle of high-hats (at the same time), the drone of an acoustic guitar accompanied with the texture and accent of the strings, the fullness and echoic harmony of a vocal fortissimo, the shrill of violins without distortion and mass and body of a cello. I believe that kind of system can't be found in a set of midrange set of cans like the HD600, for now I'll continue to attending my friend's recording studio and orchestra halls.

Though the HD600's can't reproduce those, the HD600 does more things right than things wrong compared to other headphones and I appreciate the set of cans for that.

To be fair, I'm not sure I'd say any headphone could regardless of price. If you were to take away any obviously lop-sided comparators (travel, other people, etc.), who would listen need say the headphone performs on the same level as physically being there to listen to the orchestra? But when taking things like that into account, sure you can find something better than the HD600.

But we're certainly agreed, the HD600 does more right than wrong and that's very important to note.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #17,773 of 23,486
Hello Guys
Some minutes ago received my brand new HD600

Coming from SRH840 and IEM Havi pro B3, and other crappy IET (in ear things).
Tested them with the Essence STXII  set the power between 64-300 ohms.
​Using Jriver with Asio driver.  

According to this configuration, after lisenting (Open you ears from HeadFi, and some jazz and classic, good recordings on 24-96 mostly) my ears are telling me that:
1) Do not find the Veil, or maybe not sure what it is referring to, the sound has live in it. Better than expected.
2) The soundstage is very good. better that expected.
3) There is quite bass there, more than one accustomed, lucky not purchased the 650. More than expected but nice.
4) Do not find them vary flat, maybe more like a V, with the mids a bit recessed, not to much, but just in some jazz vocals I notice that.  Is that the famous veil? Anyway is fine feel better the surrounding instruments, since the instrument separation is superb.
5) Clarity, refinement, and Details are awesome !!!

Not sure I'm listening something wrong with these cans here? Please advice.

Very very happy with them so far, Now I understand why the hype with them, need more quiet listening withouth my kid crying on the back, but maybe the bit recessed mids is something I will have to deal with.

Will try different sources, waiting my amp-dac combo to arrive to see if have some change.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #17,774 of 23,486
  Hello Guys
Some minutes ago received my brand new HD600

Coming from SRH840 and IEM Havi pro B3, and other crappy IET (in ear things).
Tested them with the Essence STXII  set the power between 64-300 ohms.
​Using Jriver with Asio driver.  

According to this configuration, after lisenting (Open you ears from HeadFi, and some jazz and classic, good recordings on 24-96 mostly) my ears are telling me that:
1) Do not find the Veil, or maybe not sure what it is referring to, the sound has live in it. Better than expected.
2) The soundstage is very good. better that expected.
3) There is quite bass there, more than one accustomed, lucky not purchased the 650. More than expected but nice.
4) Do not find them vary flat, maybe more like a V, with the mids a bit recessed, not to much, but just in some jazz vocals I notice that.  Is that the famous veil? Anyway is fine feel better the surrounding instruments, since the instrument separation is superb.
5) Clarity, refinement, and Details are awesome !!!

Not sure I'm listening something wrong with these cans here? Please advice.

Very very happy with them so far, Now I understand why the hype with them, need more quiet listening withouth my kid crying on the back, but maybe the bit recessed mids is something I will have to deal with.

Will try different sources, waiting my amp-dac combo to arrive to see if have some change.

I have found that when driving mine with an amplifier capable of significant power I do not notice most of the issues sighted in this thread.  The two amps that stand out in my collection as good amps for the HD600s:

1.) Restored Pioneer SX-1250 (off the charts good!)
2.) New Marantz SR7010, Stereo Pure Direct Mode.  Not to shabby either.

Lower power - not so good.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #17,775 of 23,486

Unfortunately I've never had the K702 so I can't do a direct comparison in tandem with your K702, but I did own the Q701 just last week. I've owned the Q701 for 5 years as a daily driver and each time I've switched to the Q701 from the HD600 my opinion never changes between the two.
The AKG is dry and instruments don't have their own tonal characteristics for some reason.
The Sennheiser is wet, slightly too thick on initial impressions but it's very real after doing some brain burn-in.

The song you provided "What a Wonderful World" sounds like the vocalist was being recorded with a very thick/warm sounding microphone and that obviously doesn't go well with the warm HD600. With the ER4S I can detect that same warmth (and in my opinion the ER4S is a very accurate IEM, a bit more than the HD600 IMO)

https://jamielynnnoon.bandcamp.com/track/to-finally
^Here's a song I praise for its' cleanliness and forgiveness that I'm able to play through cold (analytical/treble-happy) sources. It shouldn't have that much warmth/upper midrange bleed you're talking about.

I don't know the Q701 and I don't know whether you might attribute the same characteristics to the K702. Maybe so. What I do know, that in the end I either manage to "get lost" in the music, or I don't. I, personally, simply do not think that I would have been able to do so using the 600/One combo for most of the music I currently listen to, as the boomy sound would have constantly distracted me by directing my attention away from the music and towards the sound of the headphones. With the K702 on the other hand, in the case of great recordings, at least the ones in my library, it currently makes it very easy for me to look beyond the sound signature of the headphones (as it appears to be very nearly transparent) and purely concentrate on the actual musical content. Which is what I'm looking for in the end. As of yet, I haven't noticed anything specific that I would be annoyed about without actively trying to find something to criticize (which I suppose is always possible). Clearly, listening to even the best headphones is not quite the same thing as it is to attend an actual live performance. And you never know whether something turns out to be the be-all and end-all for you, but for the moment this ends my search for a headphone that is very nice indeed. In the best sense of the word, it is "good enough" for me where the HD600 (considering my priorities) wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back