Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #17,776 of 23,499

I don't know the Q701 and I don't know whether you might attribute the same characteristics to the K702. Maybe so. What I do know, that in the end I either manage to "get lost" in the music, or I don't. I, personally, simply do not think that I would have been able to do so using the 600/One combo for most of the music I currently listen to, as the boomy sound would have constantly distracted me by directing my attention away from the music and towards the sound of the headphones. With the K702 on the other hand, in the case of great recordings, at least the ones in my library, it currently makes it very easy for me to look beyond the sound signature of the headphones (as it appears to be very nearly transparent) and purely concentrate on the actual musical content. Which is what I'm looking for in the end. As of yet, I haven't noticed anything specific that I would be annoyed about without actively trying to find something to criticize (which I suppose is always possible). Clearly, listening to even the best headphones is not quite the same thing as it is to attend an actual live performance. And you never know whether something turns out to be the be-all and end-all for you, but for the moment this ends my search for a headphone that is very nice indeed. In the best sense of the word, it is "good enough" for me where the HD600 (considering my priorities) wasn't.

See, what I've thought is that the K7XX (which I've listened to) is similar to the K702 that you have (which I haven't listened to), but in my case, I went with the HD600. I found the nature of the K7XX, while accurate and clean, didn't suck me into the music the way it did for you while the HD600 was more capable of doing so. Different preferences, but in the end, we've both got headphones that let us enjoy our music. And that's why we're all here right?
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #17,777 of 23,499
  See, what I've thought is that the K7XX (which I've listened to) is similar to the K702 that you have (which I haven't listened to), but in my case, I went with the HD600. I found the nature of the K7XX, while accurate and clean, didn't suck me into the music the way it did for you while the HD600 was more capable of doing so. Different preferences, but in the end, we've both got headphones that let us enjoy our music. And that's why we're all here right?
biggrin.gif

I own K7XX as well. And I can't shake my finger at anything it does WRONG.......but for some reason, it doesn't engage me like HD600. I'm not sure if it's too clinical or what, but "the magic" just isn't there for me.

I also own K553 Pro, which I'm not too fond of either. It's quite possible I'm just not a fan of the AKG "house sound".

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #17,779 of 23,499
Do note that the HD600's are sensitive to source differences. Your HD600's will not sound like my HD600's,

I had to swap OPAMPS on my amp before I truly started to like the headphones.
The LME49720HA has an upside U shaped sound signature that brought out the mids that are way clearer but their sound is too aggressive.
The Muses02 opamp has a U shaped sound signature that countered the cable change I performed below:

https://www.amazon.ca/3-9ft-Brand-Replacement-Sennheiser-headphone/dp/B013BYDWDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488916351&sr=8-1&keywords=hd600+cable

I don't know how much you believe in cable change. I honestly didn't want to mention it because of how anti-cable people are here. But if you still like the HD600 and want a slight sound change then I believe this cable will do a few things.

Differences:
Slightly tighter bass
More aggressive 3-4khz peak
Slight loss in treble smoothness
Changes tilt further towards a brighter sound.

Otherwise the AKG K702 might indeed satisfy you more than the HD600 as stated beforehand.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #17,780 of 23,499
Thank you guys! Tested it with the onkyo receiver headphone out, and the builtin player for flacs, ohhh. Man or is a different headphone more nuetral less bass, less soundstage, more flat like my studio monitors but with the easy listening silky sound.......compared to the Essence_STX_II.
Seems the Onkyo is more transparent.

Lesson learned, first headphone I have that is so sensitive to the source.

Lot of fun here testing different sources....

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #17,781 of 23,499
  I own K7XX as well. And I can't shake my finger at anything it does WRONG.......but for some reason, it doesn't engage me like HD600. I'm not sure if it's too clinical or what, but "the magic" just isn't there for me.

I also own K553 Pro, which I'm not too fond of either. It's quite possible I'm just not a fan of the AKG "house sound".

I thought something similar when I listened to my buddy's K7XX. It didn't really do anything wrong, but I guess I'm just not a fan of that sound. Great headphones, I certainly can't call them anything less than that. But like how they aren't exactly what I'm looking for, neither are the HD600s to some other people. For those who like that AKG sound though, the K7XX is a fantastic price though. The HD600 fluctuates and sometimes drops to the mid $200s, but the K7XX is $200 MSRP which I think makes it a fantastic deal, just like how the HD6XX is also $200. Getting good gear is a bit more wallet-friendly these days.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #17,782 of 23,499

I have found that when driving mine with an amplifier capable of significant power I do not notice most of the issues sighted in this thread.  The two amps that stand out in my collection as good amps for the HD600s:

1.) Restored Pioneer SX-1250 (off the charts good!)
2.) New Marantz SR7010, Stereo Pure Direct Mode.  Not to shabby either.

Lower power - not so good.

I don't notice any significant issues with the HD600s, including a "veil." They sounded quite muddy using the headphone jack on my old Denon AVR-3805, but they sound great with other sources I've used, including Burson HA-160, Marantaz HD-DAC1, and the headphone jacks on an old Carver CT-1 preamp, my newer Denon AVR (x4000), and a Marantz CD-5003 player.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #17,783 of 23,499
Do you think, it's worth to buy some wooden cups for HD 600, for a better isolation - leaking sound ?!
This guy seems to be pretty hapy with it, but he didn't say much about leaking sound. 
I'm on the same boat, my wife is watching tv in the same room. I'd like to have a better sound isolation ( in and out )
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12331.0
Would it be identical / close / with some closed back headphones, if i'd put something like those ?
http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/w/web123/20090930/20090930235259.jpg

Thank you, any advices are welcome

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #17,784 of 23,499
  Do you think, it's worth to buy some wooden cups for HD 600, for a better isolation - leaking sound ?!
This guy seems to be pretty hapy with it, but he didn't say much about leaking sound. 
I'm on the same boat, my wife is watching tv in the same room. I'd like to have a better sound isolation ( in and out )
Would it be identical / close / with some closed back headphones, if i'd put something like those ?
http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/w/web123/20090930/20090930235259.jpg

The guy rightfully notes that it changes the sound signature. Just cup your hands over the grilles and you'll notice an immediate difference in how the HD600 (and indeed any open headphone) sounds. And it's super bulky in comparison to the stock setup. One should also pose the question, why not just buy a set of closed headphones?

Just my two cents.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #17,785 of 23,499

The main reason the hd600 has been so popular among audiophiles for about 20 years is its sound quality. Why would you change the sound if there are hundreds of close back options out there. If i was in your situation, i would leave the hd600 as is and I would buy a different headphone that doesn't leak sound.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #17,786 of 23,499

I feel like it would affect the sound quality negatively. You can't easily take a headphone that was designed to be open and convert it to closed without compromises. You'd be better off getting some closed headphones when you need isolation 

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #17,787 of 23,499
There is no closed headphones as good as HD600, i presume
I ordered Oppo pm 3, they arrived yesterday, it sounds great but not as the HD600
Maybe i say that because i was used to HD600, and if i use OPPO PM 3 a bit more time, i will change my mind

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #17,788 of 23,499
There is no closed headphones as good as HD600, i presume
I ordered Oppo pm 3, they arrived yesterday, it sounds great but not as the HD600
Maybe i say that because i was used to HD600, and if i use OPPO PM 3 a bit more time, i will change my mind

I also have the pm-3 as my close back headphones. I think they sound pretty good. As with any headphone you need time adjust to the new sound. I think both the hd600 and the pm3 have spectacular mids, however, I wish the hd600 had the pm3 bass and the pm3 the hd600 highs.

Any way, I think you'll love the pm3 the more you listen to them.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #17,790 of 23,499
After reading this thread and lots of reviews, I broke down and got myself one. It came yesterday and I have been listening for hours. WOW! It is what everybody says it is: balanced, neutral and very comfortable. Does not have the detail and imaging of the hd800, but more enjoyable and relaxing for long listening sessions. This will be part of my permanent collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back