Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #17,554 of 23,457
Just looking for an HD 600 appreciation thread to post some impressions, I noticed that I started this one a few years ago, haha! :)

I'm finding increasing appreciation for me HD 600 these days. I'm currently in the process of editing some live drumming via Logic Pro X and switching between the HD 800 an HD 600 it's obvious to me that, whilst less revealing, the overall tonality of the HD 600 sounds slightly more natural than the HD 800. I also just rediscovered the benefits of using the HD 600 with the HD 650 cable - more low end presence and a much fuller sound (and the cable is still burning in, so it will only get more refined).

I love my HD 600, and this hobby! 
smily_headphones1.gif

xWx

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #17,555 of 23,457
  Just looking for an HD 600 appreciation thread to post some impressions, I noticed that I started this one a few years ago, haha! :)

I'm finding increasing appreciation for me HD 600 these days. I'm currently in the process of editing some live drumming via Logic Pro X and switching between the HD 800 an HD 600 it's obvious to me that, whilst less revealing, the overall tonality of the HD 600 sounds slightly more natural than the HD 800. I also just rediscovered the benefits of using the HD 600 with the HD 650 cable - more low end presence and a much fuller sound (and the cable is still burning in, so it will only get more refined).

I love my HD 600, and this hobby! 
smily_headphones1.gif

xWx

First!! (after Thread starter) :p

My HD600's may not be getting much ear time lately, but I still love 'em and will never sell them :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #17,556 of 23,457
  First!! (after Thread starter) :p

My HD600's may not be getting much ear time lately, but I still love 'em and will never sell them :)

I'm on my second HD 600 and I feel this one is definitely a keeper - for portraying what's on a recording, I still feel that the HD 600 can do no wrong! :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #17,558 of 23,457
Jan 29, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #17,559 of 23,457
Alright, so now my first pair has surpassed 150+ hr burn-in and since 2 days while listening I noticed a sudden loss of bass extension and impact. And sound in general got kind of damped. Is this suppose to happen after burn in period? They had decent amount of bass as low as 50-60 Hz but now everything below 150 Hz is rolled off by a lot. I have 2 cables and with both of them this issue is present.

I tried enhancing bass with EQ but it doesn't have the same impact in bass area. I'm worried I may have broke both drivers. They don't rattle or buzz or distort even at higher volumes though. They sounded fine until one night I left them playing into my old boombox for burn in purposes(I have been doing this every other night since I got them 1.5 months ago). May be a power surge could have caused a thump overnight, I don't know...

Yes, I'm using same gear+same audio files with them since day 1. Squeezebox- Xindak DAC 8- O2 amp- HD600.

I tried hooking them up to entirely different gears today and same issue persists. Cowon D2 DAP directly into HD600 and then my laptop and then my phone.

Did anyone else experienced something similar after burn-in? Like bass suddenly rolled off and lost impact. Also overall sound is not fuller sounding anymore. It feels like the drivers have lost excursion by a lot.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #17,562 of 23,457
  Alright, so now my first pair has surpassed 150+ hr burn-in and since 2 days while listening I noticed a sudden loss of bass extension and impact. And sound in general got kind of damped. Is this suppose to happen after burn in period? They had decent amount of bass as low as 50-60 Hz but now everything below 150 Hz is rolled off by a lot. I have 2 cables and with both of them this issue is present.

I tried enhancing bass with EQ but it doesn't have the same impact in bass area. I'm worried I may have broke both drivers. They don't rattle or buzz or distort even at higher volumes though. They sounded fine until one night I left them playing into my old boombox for burn in purposes(I have been doing this every other night since I got them 1.5 months ago). May be a power surge could have caused a thump overnight, I don't know...

Yes, I'm using same gear+same audio files with them since day 1. Squeezebox- Xindak DAC 8- O2 amp- HD600.

I tried hooking them up to entirely different gears today and same issue persists. Cowon D2 DAP directly into HD600 and then my laptop and then my phone.

Did anyone else experienced something similar after burn-in? Like bass suddenly rolled off and lost impact. Also overall sound is not fuller sounding anymore. It feels like the drivers have lost excursion by a lot.

heh

I get the same response when I listen to something more bassy (mainly IEM's) and come back to the HD600's. Unless if the song has emphasizes it, the HD600 doesn't have much bass extension and it's kind of loose. 
It takes a lot to pop the HD600's, trust me I've plugged them into guitar amps.

In regards to fullness, the weird thing is that when I got my HD600's, it sounded full because I wasn't accustomed to the sound and I was adjusted to analytical headphones. I haven't touched them for ~30 hours until the next day and they sounded lush and dampened. The HD600 is definitely somewhere around the more "muffled" signature at lower volumes, but clarity shines through at louder volumes.

In a nutshell, from my experience it's really hard to fix the sub-bass of the HD600's without EQ.

This is what I did to the HD600's for my "fun time listening" and surprisingly the HD600 sounds like my 2.1 speaker setup. Not artificial at all when listening to AC/DC - Thunderstruck.

Go ahead and EQ the HD600's to your liking, they respond nicely to it.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #17,563 of 23,457
  Unless if the song has emphasizes it, the HD600 doesn't have much bass extension and it's kind of loose. 

<...>

In a nutshell, from my experience it's really hard to fix the sub-bass of the HD600's without EQ.

Pretty much. It's difficult to fix what isn't there in the first place. Sub bass is a known weakness of the HD 6x0 line; it's the one thing I feel is noticeably lacking. And, despite the stories of the miraculous that abound on Head-Fi, an amp isn't going to change this. The fundamental driver design just doesn't put out much below about 70 Hz. This betrays the headphone's lineage going all the way back to the HD 580 in 1992, when all open dynamics lacked bass extension. The HD 580, in fact, was a solid improvement over previous Sennheisers in this regard, at least according to measurements I've seen and the few anecdotal accounts I've read.

It does respond nicely to EQ, though.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #17,564 of 23,457
  heh

I get the same response when I listen to something more bassy (mainly IEM's) and come back to the HD600's. Unless if the song has emphasizes it, the HD600 doesn't have much bass extension and it's kind of loose. 
It takes a lot to pop the HD600's, trust me I've plugged them into guitar amps.

In regards to fullness, the weird thing is that when I got my HD600's, it sounded full because I wasn't accustomed to the sound and I was adjusted to analytical headphones. I haven't touched them for ~30 hours until the next day and they sounded lush and dampened. The HD600 is definitely somewhere around the more "muffled" signature at lower volumes, but clarity shines through at louder volumes.

This is what I did to the HD600's for my "fun time listening" and surprisingly the HD600 sounds like my 2.1 speaker setup. Not artificial at all when listening to AC/DC - Thunderstruck.

Go ahead and EQ the HD600's to your liking, they respond nicely to it.

I can't help but picture your profile pic right next to the EQ settings pic. XD

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #17,565 of 23,457
Listening to Roar (for Hillary
tongue_smile.gif
) with sonarworks, I upped the curve to give me a bass boost. For the first time in my life I said to myself: "God, way too much bass from these HD800."

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back