Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #17,296 of 23,454
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022?var=&hash=item41935b0cb6:m:mtZMuMijDUrlNJ_hKZKwgyg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-5N-OFC-Soft-Skin-Earphone-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD580-HD650-HD600-Headphone-/261995173617?hash=item3d002116f1:g:JmAAAOSwkNZUfY8e

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAMONZG/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2329824862&pf_rd_r=W912EWRWGAXCF5MSDNX2&pd_rd_wg=PrIsZ&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=OQcgM&pf_rd_i=hd-650+replacement+cable&pd_rd_r=ZSJYVADYMF3X3P1D2NZ0&psc=1

will these sound worse than stock cables?

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #17,298 of 23,454
I'm on the "cables shouldn't make a difference" side.  there is always a way to ruin everything when you put your heart in it ^_^.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #17,299 of 23,454
When it comes to cables please buy them for form, function or even looks.

Anything but having an expectation of them sounding different...

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #17,300 of 23,454
IMO cables are just not worth the buck to get them to "sound different" with the exception of upgrading to a balanced cable.

I'd pay money for a pretty cable any day though, so I'd say the 2nd cable's got my interest 
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #17,301 of 23,454
  IMO cables are just not worth the buck to get them to "sound different" with the exception of upgrading to a balanced cable.

I'd pay money for a pretty cable any day though, so I'd say the 2nd cable's got my interest 
tongue.gif

Really? Different tastes then I guess
tongue.gif
. I went through almost those exact cable selections when looking for something shorter than the stock 3m cable and I went with the 3rd cable. Didn't like the cable look or y-split on the 2nd one and the 1st link would've been my choice had it been an available option back when I bought the cable. Alas, red above the y-split still ain't bad
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #17,302 of 23,454
  Really? Different tastes then I guess
tongue.gif
. I went through almost those exact cable selections when looking for something shorter than the stock 3m cable and I went with the 3rd cable. Didn't like the cable look or y-split on the 2nd one and the 1st link would've been my choice had it been an available option back when I bought the cable. Alas, red above the y-split still ain't bad
biggrin.gif

Yeah, we definitely have different tastes right there. I find that third one a little too aggressive looking, the red above the split doesn't fit in too feel with the blue of the headphones 
biggrin.gif

Although I must say, the black/red braided part of the cable looks really interesting compared to black braided ones of the first one!

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #17,303 of 23,454
  Yeah, we definitely have different tastes right there. I find that third one a little too aggressive looking, the red above the split doesn't fit in too feel with the blue of the headphones 
biggrin.gif

Although I must say, the black/red braided part of the cable looks really interesting compared to black braided ones of the first one!

Oh I'm totally with you that the red above the y-split doesn't gel too well with the HD600 color scheme. Now if it were navy blue.....

But to confirm, the red cable underneath with the black braiding on top does look very good. There's just enough red showing through to give this great subtle coloring.

The problem with the second one is that that it looks incredibly flimsy for a headphone. They (or someone else) have the exact same cable with MMCX connectors for use on IEMs; the 1st and 3rd cables are at least 2-3x thicker and in my opinion, far more suited to go with a full-sized headphone. And a thicker cable matches better in the looks department
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #17,304 of 23,454

tongue.gif

Exactly how will a balanced cable affect the SQ of an HD600? Please be specific, I am curious.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #17,305 of 23,454
Just discovered an ebay seller from China wang_yifei  is selling memory foam replacement earpads for HD600 et al. I've always wanted a denser foam for my HD580, I wish the pad added some thickness as I prefer my ear not touch the opposite side but oh well. It looks to use some type of pleather material covering which should be easier to keep clean but won't be as soft as velour material. At $13.40 shipped so I think I'll just bite but I was wondering if anyone here tried them out yet? Seems like the pads just went up for sale this month?

Oh yeah, here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Foam-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD580-HD600-HD650-LR-/252657678094

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #17,306 of 23,454
  Just discovered an ebay seller from China wang_yifei  is selling memory foam replacement earpads for HD600 et al. I've always wanted a denser foam for my HD580, I wish the pad added some thickness as I prefer my ear not touch the opposite side but oh well. It looks to use some type of pleather material covering which should be easier to keep clean but won't be as soft as velour material. At $13.40 shipped so I think I'll just bite but I was wondering if anyone here tried them out yet? Seems like the pads just went up for sale this month?

Oh yeah, here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Foam-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD580-HD600-HD650-LR-/252657678094

It might affect SQ. The Hifiman HE-500 Planars comes with two sets of pads, one velour the other leather. Just about everyone prefers the velour or custom pads that have velour. My leather pads saw two days of use and went back into the box.  In any case it's what you like the best that counts for you.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #17,307 of 23,454

The problem with the second one is that that it looks incredibly flimsy for a headphone. They (or someone else) have the exact same cable with MMCX connectors for use on IEMs; the 1st and 3rd cables are at least 2-3x thicker and in my opinion, far more suited to go with a full-sized headphone. And a thicker cable matches better in the looks department
biggrin.gif

Yeah now that you mention it, it does look like one of those cables they use for IEMs, considering how flimsy they look. Then again, a flimsy cable means lesser weight and that might be better for those looking to put the HD600 by the bedside or am armchair to listen to...

Then again, I'm still using the stock cable so (time to buy a shorter one for desktop use) >___<

Exactly how will a balanced cable affect the SQ of an HD600? Please be specific, I am curious.

Sorry to disappoint but honestly, I don't really know.
confused_face.gif
 I believe I've read it somewhere or around here that getting a balanced setup for the HD600 really does wonders, but other than lowering cable noise, I don't have a clue what the changes in SQ are.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #17,308 of 23,454

If you're willing to shell out more money for memory foam and don't mind a little modding, you might wanna get some cheapo HD580/600/650 pads, then get the mounting rings off them and buy the HM5 Hybrid pads, which come in both normal and angled designs. Because of the material, I think people have agreed that the SQ is different, but depending on who you ask, not in a bad way. I like the idea of hybrid pads because they offer most of the comfort of velour designs for the bits that contact your head and pleather's easy-to-clean properties on the rest of the pad.

Yeah now that you mention it, it does look like one of those cables they use for IEMs, considering how flimsy they look. Then again, a flimsy cable means lesser weight and that might be better for those looking to put the HD600 by the bedside or am armchair to listen to...

Then again, I'm still using the stock cable so (time to buy a shorter one for desktop use) >___<

I prefer my headphone cables to be sturdier and differentiated from my IEM cables, but maybe that's just me. A headphone should have more substantial cabling
tongue.gif
. As soon as I got my HD600, I determined the cable would be too long for my intended use and set about looking for something shorter. Smooth sailing since then with a cable that's solid, looks good, and doesn't have have a bundle of wrapped-up cable on my desk next to the amp
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #17,309 of 23,454

Sorry to disappoint but honestly, I don't really know.
confused_face.gif
 I believe I've read it somewhere or around here that getting a balanced setup for the HD600 really does wonders, but other than lowering cable noise, I don't have a clue what the changes in SQ are.

You can hear cable noise, overtop of music playing?

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #17,310 of 23,454
I i am liking the hd600 more every day and although not the for metal or edm i like the very much with stuff like artic monkeys and maximo park.

But yeah i still get same ring/buzzing on my ears depending on the track. It is really a thing that seems to be related with only certain tracks and of course my earing.

One of those cases is elbow's "one day like this". Great track but my ears get completely raped on the hd600s on this track to the point of having to take them off due to the ringing on my ears.

Do you suffer from Tinnitus? I get terrible ringing in my ears. Exacerbated by certain frequencies. It is a huge irony that at the point in my life where I can afford nice gear, my hearing is shot!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back