Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #17,251 of 23,456
So I'm looking around and asking questions. I'm pretty happy with the ODAC/O2 (muses02 output buffer). People are saying that the ODAC/O2 is "starving" the HD600 compared to if I used an OTL amp. Apparently if I use a Bottlehead Crack, the HD600 will sound more dynamic and smoother. Thing is, I tried the stock cable and anymore smoother than that and I really would have thought the HD600's have a veil.

To me, upgrading the cable to a $40 cable on amazon was like, a 10% upgrade for me.
Replacing the inner foam with pantyhose for ear space was a 5% upgrade. 

What would an OTL amp do in regards to my percentile scale and how would it improve the HD600?

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #17,252 of 23,456
innerfidelity's graphs have raw measurements in grey, if there are more than 2 it means he measured several times at slightly different positions on the dummy head(and you can usually notice a change in the subs because the seal won't be as good in all positions)

and the colored lines are an average of all those raw measurements that are then compensated to match diffuse field target.

when you have nothing specified for headphones/IEMs, it's usually: Red is Right and Blue is ... bLeft? (I never said I was good with mnemotechnic methods ^_^)

and of course it's showing the pair he had to measure, not all the pairs of hd600 in the world. it's important to rely on graphs for objective variables, but it's even more important to understand what they're actually showing. else you end up like it's 1600 again, saying weird stuff like "you can't trust science" and then go around burning stuff and people you don't understand(NOOO I'M NOT EXAGERRATING!!!!) ^_^

So I'm looking around and asking questions. I'm pretty happy with the ODAC/O2 (muses02 output buffer). People are saying that the ODAC/O2 is "starving" the HD600 compared to if I used an OTL amp. Apparently if I use a Bottlehead Crack, the HD600 will sound more dynamic and smoother. Thing is, I tried the stock cable and anymore smoother than that and I really would have thought the HD600's have a veil.

To me, upgrading the cable to a $40 cable on amazon was like, a 10% upgrade for me.
Replacing the inner foam with pantyhose for ear space was a 5% upgrade. 

What would an OTL amp do in regards to my percentile scale and how would it improve the HD600?

you're saying why only you can answer in your question. it's about how it will sound to you, how happy you'll be. those are subjective questions and you're the subject. those stuff don't stick to objective variables, and others will only tell you what they like, not what you like.

now about channel imbalance and sweep and all, the knob on the O2 can very much have some matter of channel imbalance, if you have no mean to control that, I suggest you lower the volume on the computer to rise it on the O2 until you're at least past 12 o'clock when you're checking for variations between channels with tones. this reduces the chances of you setting the loudness level where there is some unlucky and significant imbalance. I have up to 0.4db louder in one channel on my O2, but at other positions the imbalance is so low my method to measure it stops me from knowing exactly how much. so that may matter(or not) when you're testing the headphone.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #17,253 of 23,456
  when you have nothing specified for headphones/IEMs, it's usually: Red is Right and Blue is ... bLeft? (I never said I was good with mnemotechnic methods ^_^)

Nah, normally it must be Red is Right, and Lime green/yellow is Left!
biggrin.gif
It couldn't be otherwise, unless you are a rebel like Tyll from InnerFidelity lol!

Just joking. Based on what I have read (aka Tyll's own explanation on how to read his graphs), the bottom grey ones are the raw data from different positions, and the coloured ones are the averaged and compensated ones for each ear.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #17,254 of 23,456

Nah, normally it must be Red is Right, and Lime green/yellow is Left!
biggrin.gif
It couldn't be otherwise, unless you are a rebel like Tyll from InnerFidelity lol!

Just joking. Based on what I have read (aka Tyll's own explanation on how to read his graphs), the bottom grey ones are the raw data from different positions, and the coloured ones are the averaged and compensated ones for each ear.

Is yellow for video, or is that white?

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #17,255 of 23,456

When people came up with that, the conversation must have looked a little something like this:
"Alright, let's color code; what's a good eye-catching color?"
"Red, I like red"
"That can be for the right ear then. Perfect! What color feels like the most opposite to red but still pleasing?"
"Blue, it's calming and thus directly opposite of fiery red"
".........that doesn't start with L"
".........well they've got the right half already, surely they could figure out the left half without the color starting with the same letter"
"Lunch time?"
"Lunch time"
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #17,256 of 23,456
  When people came up with that, the conversation must have looked a little something like this:
"Red, I like red"
"That can be for the right ear then. Perfect! What color feels like the most opposite to red but still pleasing?"
".........well they've got the right half already, surely they could figure out the left half without the color starting with the same letter"
"Lunch time?"
"Lunch time"
biggrin.gif

How about Lavender for Left? I like the letter association.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #17,257 of 23,456
"Red, I like red"
"Lunch time?"
"Lunch time"
biggrin.gif

Ahahahahaha! >v<

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #17,259 of 23,456
I've received my HD6XX!

If things go the way I want, these will replace the HD600 for my all-purpose headphones, and I can gift the 600 to a friend.

But it's too soon to say which I like more. This may take a couple weeks. :D

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #17,260 of 23,456

How about Lavender for Left? I like the letter association.

I wouldn't mind. I like lavender. But can we give it like a bluish glow for legacy users?
biggrin.gif

I bough a wooden omega headphone holder. Do these damage the headphones at all I was wondering because the headphones are stretched out while on the stand constantly.

I think it'll deform the foam faster cuz of the constant pressure on the foam.

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #17,261 of 23,456
Hello guys! is a good setup the DAC USB denon with bravo Ocean(groove tube) for the hd 600 ??thanks
Because I have this setup fron 2 years and in the last months I noticed a fatigue listening for my ears that I hadn`t before .
Sorry for my english

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #17,262 of 23,456
Hello guys! is a good setup the DAC USB denon with bravo Ocean(groove tube) for the hd 600 ??thanks
Because I have this setup fron 2 years and in the last months I noticed a fatigue listening for my ears that I hadn`t before .
Sorry for my english

Dunno about your DAC cuz I literally don't know anything about it, but I've heard the Bravo Ocean is fairly nice tube amp considering its price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back