Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #16,786 of 23,499
To be honest... For me, the difference in soundstage between the HD650 and HD600 it's also negligible...

It's there if you spend hours comparing back and forth instead of enjoying the music...but... Just listen to music... :/

Differences between headphones up to a certain point is very small. Differences DSP can bring however is huge, if you know how to use them properly.

Ooh lol I thought it was something drastic

well nah I am not concerned about something that is only small that you have to constantly switch back to fort to notice a difference.

Your thoughts on difference between HD 555 / 598 VS HD 600?

Big Upgrade?

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #16,787 of 23,499

well nah I am not concerned about something that is only small that you have to constantly switch back to fort to notice a difference.

Big Upgrade?

Unfortunately I've never tried those two myself, so I can't make stuff up this time, sorry. :frowning2:

Your best bet is to go find stores around the place you love and give them a listen yourself. Even if I did listen to those headphones, my impressions will be different from yours as we all hear/prefer things differently, and there is no standard way of explaining what one hears.

Also corrected some typos in my last post. Sorry for that! :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #16,788 of 23,499
Earlier in this thread somewhere (or was it the new Sennheiser announcement one? Can't remember which), I mentioned a thread I once found on Head-Fi which compared the HD 600 with the DT880 and K702, and in which the reviewer initially liked the latter two better overall but came to appreciate the HD 600 after a longer listening session. I brought it up because somebody came to a similar conclusion in a recent post, wherein they found the HD 600 allowed for long listening without fatigue. I've now found the thread I was after:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/554575/dt880-k702-hd600-a-beginner-audiophiles-thoughts

Check it out. It's a good read, especially if you're considering the HD 600 and have experience with either or both of the other two. And even if you don't have such experience, it's still an interesting perspective to take into account long term listening and how an initially less exciting and impressive headphone like the HD 600 can pick up points by not driving the listener out of the illusion over time, either through fatigue or timbre issues.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #16,789 of 23,499
  Earlier in this thread somewhere (or was it the new Sennheiser announcement one? Can't remember which), I mentioned a thread I once found on Head-Fi which compared the HD 600 with the DT880 and K702, and in which the reviewer initially liked the latter two better overall but came to appreciate the HD 600 after a longer listening session. I brought it up because somebody came to a similar conclusion in a recent post, wherein they found the HD 600 allowed for long listening without fatigue. I've now found the thread I was after:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/554575/dt880-k702-hd600-a-beginner-audiophiles-thoughts

Check it out. It's a good read, especially if you're considering the HD 600 and have experience with either or both of the other two. And even if you don't have such experience, it's still an interesting perspective to take into account long term listening and how an initially less exciting and impressive headphone like the HD 600 can pick up points by not driving the listener out of the illusion over time, either through fatigue or timbre issues.

Nice read but a little deceiving since the reviewer mentions the "veil" on a HD-600, I thought the "veil" thing only applied to the HD-650 (IDK since I've never seen it mentioned with HD-600) and the choice of DAC/amp are not what most will be using with the HD-600.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #16,790 of 23,499
The veil exists onnthe HD600 as well it is their signature sound. Just not as present ad 650.

Nice read but a little deceiving since the reviewer mentions the "veil" on a HD-600, I thought the "veil" thing only applied to the HD-650 (IDK since I've never seen it mentioned with HD-600) and the choice of DAC/amp are not what most will be using with the HD-600.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #16,791 of 23,499
The veil exists onnthe HD600 as well it is their signature sound. Just not as present ad 650.

Neither headphone has ever been veiled.  it became an urban myth when the big three were at the height of their popularity:
K701
DT880
HD600 (and later the HD650)

Both the K701 and especially the DT880 are brighter than what is tonally natural.  When comparing, people described the HD600 (and later the HD650) as veiled.  Hear either headphone on a decent amp, and you'll realise what a silly claim it is.

And yes - I've owned all 3 headphones, and whats more, all at the same time.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #16,792 of 23,499

Neither headphone has ever been veiled.  it became an urban myth when the big three were at the height of their popularity:
K701
DT880
HD600 (and later the HD650)

Both the K701 and especially the DT880 are brighter than what is tonally natural.  When comparing, people described the HD600 (and later the HD650) as veiled.  Hear either headphone on a decent amp, and you'll realise what a silly claim it is.

And yes - I've owned all 3 headphones, and whats more, all at the same time.

Only had mine for about a month, but they sure don't sound veiled to me.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #16,793 of 23,499
the "veil" is a signature, not distortions or noise, just a part of the upper mids that is a little quieter than what some other headphones have. it's always a matter of reference.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #16,794 of 23,499
  the "veil" is a signature, not distortions or noise, just a part of the upper mids that is a little quieter than what some other headphones have. it's always a matter of reference.

I think the Sennheiser veil thing began almost two decades ago when most headphones were heavy handed in treble and people weren't used to the more neutral sounding HD600's. The bass heavy Sony cans of the time seemed to be out of the discussions.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #16,795 of 23,499

Thanks

You know David had recommended me the Nhoord driver which are I think 90 Euros. And I could buy the drill bits and cut out wooden cups from a thick plank of Mora wood that I have home here and maybe buy grado ear pads and a 3rd party head band. It was just a thought I had cause my brother is good with wood work

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #16,796 of 23,499

Big Upgrade?

This is the eternal question... in my case I just went for planar headphones :D :D

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #16,799 of 23,499
M50x is a closed version of Fidelio X2. HD600 is a bit on another level, but it doesn't play so well with hard rock/metal and EDM (as former two).

So they are "fun" closed mid-fi, "fun" opened mid/hi-fi, "neutral" opened hi-fi respectively.

As a disclaimer - I own and enjoy all three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back