Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #16,127 of 23,482
  i just got the HD600 and have been looking at getting a tube amp one of the little dots 3-4se   how much does a tube amp affectthe hd600 sound?

IMO that tube stuff is a myth, some others might disagree. A good SS Amp has a flat FR and very low distortion, so it's transparent. That means it plays back as was recorded. The HD600 is revered for being neutral, so a transparent amp stays with the program. The HD600 has a non flat impedance curve, so you are best served with a low impedance amp.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #16,128 of 23,482
Deciding whether you need or what a Tube Amp is a simple matter. Don't listen to anyone telling you if it's right or wrong. Listen to the HD600. Decide what you like and don't like about it.

If you want it a little warmer and smoother, Tubes might be for you.

If you want it as detailed and sharp as possible, get the most resolving Solid-State DAC & Amp you can afford.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #16,131 of 23,482
  I wear glasses and find that the HD600 works well with them, for me.

I'm not saying the HD600 is uncomfortable with glasses on (they certainly aren't), I'm just saying that overear headphones are more comfortable without glasses
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  Ditto, HD600 are comfy even with glasses on.

The HD600 is fine, but do note that I was writing regarding portable headphones in general and the HD600 is considered by most to not be a portable headphone.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #16,132 of 23,482
  i just got the HD600 and have been looking at getting a tube amp one of the little dots 3-4se   how much does a tube amp affectthe hd600 sound?

I have a Vali 2, Asgard 2, Graham Slee Novo at my desktop and a Yamaha receiver for my theater room.

The HD600 performs amazingly with all these amps, especially the receiver and the HD600 are my "go-to" headphone for watching movies.

Out of all my headphones I would say the HD600 sounds 'just right' with most sources/amps. It's 'neutral' tag to me kinda betrays what it can really do, imho. 

Perhaps start out with a cheap tube amp and see if you like that better. 

I can honestly say that the difference between Solid State and Tube/Valve amps comes down to how the amp is implemented or tuned. I find the Asgard 2 sounds fantastic with the HD600 but I like the Vali 2 combo more, as I find the presentation suits my taste. Oddly the HD600's sounds premium running out my Yamaha receiver, plenty of power and authority with great clarity and sound stage.

Anyway, happy for your purchase mate!

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #16,133 of 23,482

I'm of the camp that I prefer tubes with the 600 over SS. The important part of that statement is the "I prefer" part. I've listened to the 600 on SS and it still sounds fantastic, but I prefer the warm lush distortion tubes provide. I'm really not sure the "myth" part Stan is referring to, but if he's refering to people stating that the 600 MUST be powered by tubes to sound good, it's not a myth nor right. Just their opinion.

Tubes are a pain, be sure to do some research and know what your getting into, but they can be very rewarding. I have a Garage Polaris I use when waiting for tubes to warm up isn't an option. It's a fantastic SS amp with a touch of tube goodness at a decent price point. Might be a good middle point to consider. Good luck!

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #16,134 of 23,482
I am also firmly entrenched in that camp.

A good tube amp paired with the HD600 is magical; holographic imaging, meaty mid bass, and the ability to tweak the sound by tube rolling (without envasive equalizing).

I sincerely doubt that anyone who has heard the 600 off of a decent OTL/hybrid amp would proclaim the combo a "myth"....

*all IMHO of course

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #16,135 of 23,482
No real audiophile here... previous experience with only closed HP: CAL, M50, MDR-1A, Studio 2

I have recently tested HD 600 (first open can I tried) and Oppo PM-3 both amped by Oppo HA-1 with a variety of tracks. I currently own a paird of Beats Studio 2.0 wired(don't laugh if you haven't tested them with quality tracks) so I thought the HD 600 would be a serios improvement in terms of details, soundstage and so on, but I was kinda disappointed with HD 600. They have airy sound, ok details but nothing genuinely impressive. I can't believe they are the "legendary", "reference" headphone. On the other hand I was blown away by the Oppo PM-3, way over expectations(at least with respect to what others said in reviews - I was expecting something boring), extremely good bass, extremely good details, separation, decent soundstage for closed hp(maybe the oppo-oppo pairing did some "magic") 

Am I missing something? Or maybe I'm just too accustomed to closed headphones? 

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #16,136 of 23,482
  No real audiophile here... previous experience with only closed HP: CAL, M50, MDR-1A, Studio 2

I have recently tested HD 600 (first open can I tried) and Oppo PM-3 both amped by Oppo HA-1 with a variety of tracks. I currently own a paird of Beats Studio 2.0 wired(don't laugh if you haven't tested them with quality tracks) so I thought the HD 600 would be a serios improvement in terms of details, soundstage and so on, but I was kinda disappointed with HD 600. They have airy sound, ok details but nothing genuinely impressive. I can't believe they are the "legendary", "reference" headphone. On the other hand I was blown away by the Oppo PM-3, way over expectations(at least with respect to what others said in reviews - I was expecting something boring), extremely good bass, extremely good details, separation, decent soundstage for closed hp(maybe the oppo-oppo pairing did some "magic") 

The HD 600 needs time appreciate and it could honestly not of been a good pairing for the HD 600. I think its because of the HD 600's understated sound as well, it's not something that immediately grabs or wow you, I find it something you love more overtime as you realize how much it does right and how little it does wrong. The HD 600 is one of my favorite headphones around $300, but I really wouldn't spend more than that on them.

I recently got the new DT 1990 and the HD 600's are going back, the DT 1990 sounds much better to my ears and is more comfortable. The HD 600 would just be ignored and comfort wasn't for me in the end. Yes it's about twice the price, but the difference is dramatic to me. It's much more dynamic, faster, tactile, and the presence of everything feels more organic and real. Not to mention they are very musical to my ears, I care only about the music with them and nothing else. I got them because their closed sibling the DT 1770 has a wow factor and euphony that never died on me(have owned them for months) and it's turning out to be the case with these too but the headphone sounds much better than the closed sibling to me.

I haven't heard the PM-3 but that could very well be the case of the amp pairing very well with the Oppos. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #16,137 of 23,482

A good tube amp paired with the HD600 is magical; holographic imaging, meaty mid bass, and the ability to tweak the sound by tube rolling (without envasive equalizing).

I sincerely doubt that anyone who has heard the 600 off of a decent OTL/hybrid amp would proclaim the combo a "myth"....

*all IMHO of course

Agreed.

We even have measurements that show good tube amps with very little distortion.

The notion that people should only buy tubes if you want a lush/distorted/warm/less resolving sound comes from all the bad and cheaply made tube amps all over amazon and eBay. Buy a good tube amp from Schiit, Garage1217, Eddie Current, etc.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #16,138 of 23,482

I don't think you are missing anything, but it might take you awhile to get used to the HD-600, but then as you noted it might not be a sound signature that is to your liking.  I have the M50 and MDR-1A and if these were what I was used to then the HD-600 would sound a little boring.  I sold my HD-600 to a friend who really wanted them and was thinking of getting another down the road but after building a ypsilon driver headphone the HD-600 is not something I would get again since the ypsilon is cleaner, more dynamic, better sound stage and better balanced from top to bottom, and is also so much easier to drive properly.  But these are just my impressions along with a few others that have heard the ypsilon driver so YMMV.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #16,139 of 23,482
  IMO that tube stuff is a myth, some others might disagree. A good SS Amp has a flat FR and very low distortion, so it's transparent. That means it plays back as was recorded. The HD600 is revered for being neutral, so a transparent amp stays with the program. The HD600 has a non flat impedance curve, so you are best served with a low impedance amp.

Deciding whether you need or what a Tube Amp is a simple matter. Don't listen to anyone telling you if it's right or wrong. Listen to the HD600. Decide what you like and don't like about it.

If you want it a little warmer and smoother, Tubes might be for you.

If you want it as detailed and sharp as possible, get the most resolving Solid-State DAC & Amp you can afford.

The HD600 is fine, but do note that I was writing regarding portable headphones in general and the HD600 is considered by most to not be a portable headphone.

I have a Vali 2, Asgard 2, Graham Slee Novo at my desktop and a Yamaha receiver for my theater room.

The HD600 performs amazingly with all these amps, especially the receiver and the HD600 are my "go-to" headphone for watching movies.

Out of all my headphones I would say the HD600 sounds 'just right' with most sources/amps. It's 'neutral' tag to me kinda betrays what it can really do, imho. 

Perhaps start out with a cheap tube amp and see if you like that better. 

I can honestly say that the difference between Solid State and Tube/Valve amps comes down to how the amp is implemented or tuned. I find the Asgard 2 sounds fantastic with the HD600 but I like the Vali 2 combo more, as I find the presentation suits my taste. Oddly the HD600's sounds premium running out my Yamaha receiver, plenty of power and authority with great clarity and sound stage.

Anyway, happy for your purchase mate!

I'm of the camp that I prefer tubes with the 600 over SS. The important part of that statement is the "I prefer" part. I've listened to the 600 on SS and it still sounds fantastic, but I prefer the warm lush distortion tubes provide. I'm really not sure the "myth" part Stan is referring to, but if he's refering to people stating that the 600 MUST be powered by tubes to sound good, it's not a myth nor right. Just their opinion.

Tubes are a pain, be sure to do some research and know what your getting into, but they can be very rewarding. I have a Garage Polaris I use when waiting for tubes to warm up isn't an option. It's a fantastic SS amp with a touch of tube goodness at a decent price point. Might be a good middle point to consider. Good luck!

*all IMHO of course

thanks for the info all

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #16,140 of 23,482
  I recently got the new DT 1990 and the HD 600's are going back, the DT 1990 sounds much better to my ears and is more comfortable...

Would love to hear a more detailed comparison between the two if you got time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back