Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #16,096 of 23,499
The price has just been lowered to 299.99 on Amazon. Wonder if that's the new MSRP now or just a temporary discount.

BestBuy has the below listed for the HD600, today. So unless they're slow to update things, the MSRP hasn't changed.

$314.99
On Sale
Save $85 (Reg. $399.99)

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #16,097 of 23,499
i bought a earmax pro head amp today and will need to buy a pair of cans with impedence 200-2000 ohms to match.  my budget is around the same cost as a hd600. i would like to try these but have heard about clamping from the headband and comfort issues. comfort is my no 1 concern really apart from SQ. apart from the hd's can anyone suggest some good cans in similar price range i could get? many thanks. apologies if off topic.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #16,098 of 23,499
  i bought a earmax pro head amp today and will need to buy a pair of cans with impedence 200-2000 ohms to match.  my budget is around the same cost as a hd600. i would like to try these but have heard about clamping from the headband and comfort issues. comfort is my no 1 concern really apart from SQ. apart from the hd's can anyone suggest some good cans in similar price range i could get? many thanks. apologies if off topic.

I have never found the HD600's to be uncomfortable. Quite the opposite, I find them very comfortable. If possible, you should try it on for yourself.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #16,099 of 23,499

Hd600 are kings of comfort for me. I can listen to them for hours with ease.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #16,100 of 23,499
I recently purchased a pair of the legendary HD600, and I'm extremely happy with it. However, the build doesn't guarantee me peace of mind. At the end of the slider, on the right side (right where the blue "HD 600" label is), it is more loose than the left side is.

I understand the ear cups can swivel a little bit left and right for comfort and mobility, but the right ear cup is quite loose so I don't know if that is a defect. The headphones were purchased barely a few weeks ago, so the issue isn't certainly due to excessive use. Any of you guys experienced this with your cans? 

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #16,101 of 23,499
  I recently purchased a pair of the legendary HD600, and I'm extremely happy with it. However, the build doesn't guarantee me peace of mind. At the end of the slider, on the right side (right where the blue "HD 600" label is), it is more loose than the left side is.

I understand the ear cups can swivel a little bit left and right for comfort and mobility, but the right ear cup is quite loose so I don't know if that is a defect. The headphones were purchased barely a few weeks ago, so the issue isn't certainly due to excessive use. Any of you guys experienced this with your cans? 

That does not seem right. I would return them for a replacement.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #16,102 of 23,499

I got mine used, no such issues even after bending the metal arms a bunch to get my favoured clamp pressure.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #16,103 of 23,499
Interesting.  Must have been the result of my travel then - since I bring these cans back and forth everyday to and from work.  Just now got a case to protect them.

Yeah, if both ends of the metal extenders are equally loose then I wouldn't be too concerned.  But the right one got me thinking.  I just hope the ear cup doesn't suddenly detach by itself, since I know the 600 is completely modular, which can only facilitate the accident.  If I do return, I wonder if I should get the 650, since these are now for sale at about the same price at which I got my 600! 

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #16,104 of 23,499

Several days into my 600 ownership I'm also thinking about trading it in for a 650. Coming from push/pull iems the bass on these cans just doesn't match up to the tremendous detail and clarity. It makes listening to music a bit too cerebral for my liking - and that's coming from someone who loves music theory and all things composition.

I think I'd prefer the 650's but I know that they're also a compromise: they have more bass but still lack bass extension. A slightly different top end I don't expect would bother me either way. Of course the 650's are one of the great modding platforms of all time, but I'm pretty sure that their bass extension is a turd that cannot be polished.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #16,105 of 23,499
Several days into my 600 ownership I'm also thinking about trading it in for a 650. Coming from push/pull iems the bass on these cans just doesn't match up to the tremendous detail and clarity. It makes listening to music a bit too cerebral for my liking - and that's coming from someone who loves music theory and all things composition.

I think I'd prefer the 650's but I know that they're also a compromise: they have more bass but still lack bass extension. A slightly different top end I don't expect would bother me either way. Of course the 650's are one of the great modding platforms of all time, but I'm pretty sure that their bass extension is a turd that cannot be polished.

I listen to a lot of classical (piano, and orchestral) and the HD600 is doing its magic (I switched to Sennheiser from the V-Moda camp).  A lot of carefully engineered recordings really shine.  I think the HD600 is meant to be "cerebral" in that it's very analytical and you hear what's actually played in the studio or on the concert stage.  I like that since I'm kinda a perfectionist and don't believe in any sound coloring.  Soundstage is right where it should be, although I do desire more.  Previously on my HD598 the soundstage was golden.  I heard the 650 is for "enjoyment" but I don't know what that's comprised.  

My setup is Nexus 6P + JetAudio + E18, and with those I can increase bass via both software and hardware.  I do need a better amp, since with the E18 both phone & amp have to be maxed out to be able to give a satisfying volume.  

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #16,108 of 23,499
 Coming from push/pull iems the bass on these cans just doesn't match up to the tremendous detail and clarity. It makes listening to music a bit too cerebral for my liking - and that's coming from someone who loves music theory and all things composition.

You're not going to be able to come from IEMs and go to headphones like the HD600s, 650s, 700s, etc and get that sort of bass quantity/boom. While you can get some good extension and quantity depending on the audio it's just not going to happen, even with a good amp. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #16,109 of 23,499
You're not going to be able to come from IEMs and go to headphones like the HD600s, 650s, 700s, etc and get that sort of bass quantity/boom. While you can get some good extension and quantity depending on the audio it's just not going to happen, even with a good amp. 

Yes that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm crossing my fingers that someone makes a really great planar sometime soon to fill that void. I don't want lots of bass, but when the bass is not very tight and lacks sub-bass, many recordings just dont sound right.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #16,110 of 23,499
Yes that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm crossing my fingers that someone makes a really great planar sometime soon to fill that void. I don't want lots of bass, but when the bass is not very tight and lacks sub-bass, many recordings just dont sound right.

IMO, there are many excellent Planars that produce a much better quality bass than any IEM. I'd take my HE-500 or HE-560 over any IEM. The best IEMs I've heard are hybrid Dynamic/BA.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back