Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #15,677 of 23,482
Should I sell off my Aune T1se and get the Little Dot MkIII & link it to my Grace M9XX? I will be receiving the HD600 on the 19th. I can't wait already!

I would listen first and then decide. The HD600 requires 665 mW to reach 120 dBSPL, which is very loud, the threshold of pain. a 16 bit DAC or recording has under 100 dB of dynamic range. Most recordings are compressed (volume) or limited. IMO between compression and DR limits excess power is overrated. You might want peaks to reach a high level but not to have continuously loud levels that would damage your hearing. I saw a spec of 150mW at 300 Ohms for the Aune on Amazon which equates to just under 114 dBSPL. So some may want more, I would spend some time listening to what you have, using the most challenging music that you listen to and decide for yourself.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #15,680 of 23,482
And now that I have an OTL amp and solid state amp, both will be using the same DAC, I will try when I get time to see if with level matched listening (as accurate as I can manage) if the HD 600 has a different signature. It is hard as now I have new toy syndrome and I'm in love with the aesthetics of the La Figaro and the glowing tubes. After some of that dies down and I can hope to be more objective I am going to try and also see if I can get some blind listening tests with the help of my friend.

Not because I want to prove or disprove anything, I'm just curious mostly. Going into things my leaning is to believe that tubes can affect the final sound, but to this point I have no evidence.

Edit: on a related note, I have to admit how impressed with the HD 600 I am. Frankly, it is surprising me every time I listen to it. Having owned the HD 650 which while fantastic, didn't wow me, I wasn't really expecting the 600 to impress me this much. Pleasantly surprised.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #15,681 of 23,482
Edit: on a related note, I have to admit how impressed with the HD 600 I am. Frankly, it is surprising me every time I listen to it. Having owned the HD 650 which while fantastic, didn't wow me, I wasn't really expecting the 600 to impress me this much. Pleasantly surprised.
Exactly what I thought! Fortunately I finally had to chance to try both before buying online. When I tried the HD650 I was like this is nice, a really really good headphone. And then I go to the HD600, and the vocals were amazing. I was like wowwww I have to get this. Even though I personally think the HD650 will be suited to more types of genres compared to the HD600.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #15,683 of 23,482
  And now that I have an OTL amp and solid state amp, both will be using the same DAC...

Been itching to buy a Polaris and do the same to try with the 600's. Did you grab something like the SYS to split the DAC output to the two? Or just a simple splitter?

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #15,684 of 23,482
  Been itching to buy a Polaris and do the same to try with the 600's. Did you grab something like the SYS to split the DAC output to the two? Or just a simple splitter?

No, actually my iDSD Micro can be a preamp so that goes to the 339 and anytime I want a quick compare I just plug into the headphone input on the Micro and voila, SS versus OTL on the fly.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #15,686 of 23,482
Anyone has experience using ORB Clear Force cables?

http://www.orb.co.jp/audio/hd650.html

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #15,687 of 23,482
Aug 20, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #15,689 of 23,482
  Finally received my HD600. It's absolutely amazing. Good enough even from the Grace M9XX for my noob ears. I can't take it off my head like seriously (although the clamp pressure is kinda stressing).

At least the clamping pressure is the most fixable of potential problems on any headphone. Just pull the arms out all the way and gently bend the metal arms outward until it has the desired clamping pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back