Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #14,371 of 23,486
Yes the HD650 needs to hide the treble, unless you want to unleash full sibilance on your ears then mod it and you basically get the HD850. If you bump the volume more it no longer becomes dark due to the equal loudness curve.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #14,372 of 23,486
A few people have mentioned a "blacker background" when comparing the headphones. How can that be?? Background noise would come from a source or an amp. There's no hiss or hum or static in a headphone, except that which we input into it.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #14,373 of 23,486
HD600 is more smoother, fluid and brighter.
The smoother HD600 can handle the extra treble without much fatigue. Details may not be as revealing as an HD650 but it still resolves all the details. It sounds more smoother and thicker. It makes vocals sound really good.

HD650 is sharper, solid and darker.
The sharper and solid nature of the HD650 can reveal details better but sennheiser choose to hide some of the details by making it a slightly darker headphone, a wise move. The HD650 sounds better for musical instruments.

That's exactly how I felt about the HD 600 vs HD 650 when I had them and the times I heard them.

Quote:

To be honest, I can't see how darker headphone can reveal more details, by definition.

Brightness or darkness is not what determines actual detail, rather it's how emphasized or unemphasized it is, bright headphones tend to emphasize treble detail while dark headphones tend to emphasize more bass detail, but some headphones are inherently more resolving than others for a variety of reasons not all that related to FR. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #14,374 of 23,486
A few people have mentioned a "blacker background" when comparing the headphones. How can that be?? Background noise would come from a source or an amp. There's no hiss or hum or static in a headphone, except that which we input into it.

One reason for this can be modal break-up which is caused by the headphone not producing a pistonic motion of the dynamic driver properly or as well as a different headphone. This can create a bit of noise and distortion which can come across as a bit of grit, haze, audible distortion, etc. depending on the driver. Different diaphragm materials can also impact things, some materials are more resonant by nature than others for example but may have certain advantages thus why it's used despite drawbacks that affect the sound reproduction. There are other factors that can affect things such as vibrational energy.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #14,375 of 23,486
The HD650 has a sharper more precise sound with less treble. The HD600 has a smoothed out sound It Is more blurry in comparison. I had both headphones and liked the stock HD600 until I modded my HD650, I ended up selling the HD600.

One factor nededs to be considerded is the amplifiers. Not all amplifiers work well to the same extent for both of them. 600 does seem to be smoothened on tube amp. while on some SS amp. it's equal sharp.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #14,378 of 23,486
It's relative, if you listen to both the 600 and 650 the 600 will be smoother looser less detailed can use the word blurred as it's not as sharp than the HD650. The HD650 sound is a tighter and solid the treble that it does have is sharper. The HD650 would be blurred compared to an HD800 as well.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #14,379 of 23,486
Just to let you guys know the HD650 comes with compromises so does the HD800. The HD600 seems like a sweet spot, it's not overly analytical and smoother than the HD800 and HD650. It's treble though more brighter than an 650 is really smooth so you can relax to it and get lost in the music. Yes amplifiers make a big difference. Everyone has different preferences and will choose one headphone over the other.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #14,380 of 23,486
I agree about HD650 being more "refined" and by that I mean smoother and more colored at the top end. Which one of these two we perceive as more detailed (whatever it is meant by that) can depend a little bit upon our hearing sensitivity, our gear etc. Personally I perceive HD600 as more tonally accurate and revealing of the true timbre of instruments for example. They also have the ability to let me be focused on music during listening sessions for much longer than HD650.

In direct comparison with HD650, HD600 can be perceived as a tiny little bit more "congested" and less "easy going" with more complex music. With small orchestras - chamber or jazz - HD600 is as open and dynamic as HD650. Personally I love them both and think they have similar "fidelity". I don't see any of them as the other one's upgrade.

I chose HD600 because I see it as a perfect complement to my HE-500. HE-500 is another story. It is richer, with much more going on in the sound than with both HD600 and HD650, better dynamics, faster transient reproduction, better textured low end etc.  HE-500 is not as natural as HD600. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #14,381 of 23,486
  I agree about HD650 being more "refined" and by that I mean smoother and more colored at the top end. Which one of these two we perceive as more detailed (whatever it is meant by that) can depend a little bit upon our hearing sensitivity, our gear etc. Personally I perceive HD600 as more tonally accurate and revealing of the true timbre of instruments for example. They also have the ability to let me be focused on music during listening sessions for much longer than HD650.

In direct comparison with HD650, HD600 can be perceived as a tiny little bit more "congested" and less "easy going" with more complex music. With small orchestras - chamber or jazz - HD600 is as open and dynamic as HD650. Personally I love them both and think they have similar "fidelity". I don't see any of them as the other one's upgrade.

I chose HD600 because I see it as a perfect complement to my HE-500. HE-500 is another story. It is richer, with much more going on in the sound than with both HD600 and HD650, better dynamics, faster transient reproduction, better textured low end etc.  HE-500 is not as natural as HD600. 

This for sure. I've always felt, regardless of the price gap which I don't really understand, the HD600 and HD650 are on equal footing in terms of fidelity. It's just that they cater to different sound preferences. There is no "better" or "worse" between these two headphones.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #14,383 of 23,486
Just to let you guys know the HD650 comes with compromises so does the HD800. The HD600 seems like a sweet spot, it's not overly analytical and smoother than the HD800 and HD650. It's treble though more brighter than an 650 is really smooth so you can relax to it and get lost in the music. Yes amplifiers make a big difference. Everyone has different preferences and will choose one headphone over the other.

I'd agree with this statement, ence why i like the 600 more.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #14,385 of 23,486
  Holy schiit!  Listening to John Williams' Star Wars A New Hope score through the Bifrost 4490/HD600 combo is as close to a religious experience as I've yet had!

May the Force be with you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back