Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #13,577 of 23,456
  if you want to stick to solid state, the Burson Soloist SL Mk II works very well for me an the HD600's. I didn't want to mess around with tubes so researched until I found this gem of an amp.

Thanks, it looks a good little amp. I'll definitely consider it at some point in the near future. I made up my mind that i'm gonna go for the Icon Audio HP8, the Amazon shop "Audio Affair" has one and they do next day delivery. Too tempting to turn down...

Cheers.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #13,578 of 23,456
  Sorry, I can't answer that question since I never got to audition the Elise but I've seen many recommendations and it was compared to some good stuff.

I just feel the parts of HP8 are much impressive than Elise. I'm really curious how Elise could sound so good with such simple structure! Of course I/m a layman. :)

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #13,579 of 23,456
  I just feel the parts of HP8 are much impressive than Elise. I'm really curious how Elise could sound so good with such simple structure! Of course I/m a layman. :)

I was impressed when I heard the HP8 but what makes the Elise interesting is the different tubes that can be used, a little like the tube rolling with the BH Crack.  Sometimes simple is better
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #13,580 of 23,456
  I was impressed when I heard the HP8 but what makes the Elise interesting is the different tubes that can be used, a little like the tube rolling with the BH Crack.  Sometimes simple is better
biggrin.gif

That's even more temptation and a big pit! It draws much more money to it! I just wonder their SQ with stock tubes. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #13,581 of 23,456
  That's even more temptation and a big pit! It draws much more money to it! I just wonder their SQ with stock tubes. 
biggrin.gif

One reason I considered the HP8 was that it sounded good with the stock tubes.  With my BH Crack I spent enough on tubes (spares included) to make the cost more than the HP8.  With the Elise I can see it becoming a "big pit" since there are twice as many tubes compared to the Crack.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #13,582 of 23,456
  Hi everyone,

I got a pair of HD600 one month ago. Problem is that I feel pain in my ears most of the time I use them. The pain is really localized INTO the ears, maybe the ear-drum. I don't have any problem when I go back to my Beyer DT880. I don't know if the pain comes from the clamping force or directly from the SOUND...

Did anybody here have this kind of problem with the HD600 or any other headphones?

I'm seriously considering reselling them...

I will try to wear (not sure if we can say so... "wear headphones") them without any music in order to know if the problem is the clamping force or the sound itself.

Enoha, did you ever try wearing them without music to see if the problem is the clamping? I'm seriously thinking about jumping on the Amazon deal for the 600's + a $150 Amazon Gift Card for $400 total --  but this is something that definitely concerns me...

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #13,583 of 23,456
  One reason I considered the HP8 was that it sounded good with the stock tubes.  With my BH Crack I spent enough on tubes (spares included) to make the cost more than the HP8.  With the Elise I can see it becoming a "big pit" since there are twice as many tubes compared to the Crack.

Yeah, I tend to avoid such pit.
biggrin.gif
 But someone just told me it does not sound as good as Elise. Amazing! The Elise is really amazing! But HP8 has output transformers, which much increases the cost. I have no intension to drive my low impedience phones with an expensive tube amplifier. I like OTLs. So I think HP8 could be banned. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #13,585 of 23,456
A good amp will fill out the sound more, give it some weight and bass. But the HD600 will always have a lean signature. Highly neutral.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #13,586 of 23,456
A good amp will fill out the sound more, give it some weight and bass. But the HD600 will always have a lean signature. Highly neutral.

With the Vali 2, I wouldn't call the sound thin at all. Though it does sound more that way with pure solid state.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #13,587 of 23,456

Lean is one of the last ways I would describe the HD 600, only heard it sound slightly lean on some systems. The HD 600 has almost always sounded full to me, sometimes very full on amps such as the Lyr 2 and the UDA-1.

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #13,588 of 23,456
With the Vali 2, I wouldn't call the sound thin at all. Though it does sound more that way with pure solid state.

The Vali2 is a good amp.

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #13,589 of 23,456
Lean is one of the last ways I would describe the HD 600, only heard it sound slightly lean on some systems. The HD 600 has almost always sounded full to me, sometimes very full on amps such as the Lyr 2 and the UDA-1.

I don't use the word "lean" in the derogatory. I love the sound. Comparatively speaking, though, depending on what you're used to, it can very easily be described as lean.

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #13,590 of 23,456
I don't use the word "lean" in the derogatory. I love the sound. Comparatively speaking, though, depending on what you're used to, it can very easily be described as lean.

That is true. I am used to thicker and warmer headphones than the HD 600 such as the Nighthawks and the HD 650, just surprised me when they were called lean because there are countless other headphones I would call lean, many which I love the sound of. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back