Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #13,561 of 23,456
  My two cent: The HD600 sounds gorgeous with the Projet Polaris, i get all the benefit of a solid state amp, with the harmonics distorsion of the JFET that mimics the tubes. Wide soundstage, precise and smooth. I'm not even sure if the crack would sound better.

I never heard it before. I like the JFET stage, but I didn't like that it was a push-pull amplifier and a class ab amp. Push/pull cancels out even order harmonics and sums the odd order harmonics, if it was only push/pull after the JFET stage it could work better though (not sure what method was used). Push-Pull can also run into phase issues if the push and pull parts get miss-matched even slightly. Single ended is just much easier to implement, though it wastes more power and has a higher noise floor though I'd rather have that than odd order harmonics from push-pull stage.

I would probably like project horizon III more for instance since it's a Class A OTL amp. I would need to audition both though.
Garage 1217 needs to make a JFET Class A, single ended, solid state amp, but some amps do that already (Asgard 2).

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #13,563 of 23,456
Can anyone recommend a good amp in the $500 to $800 price range...what would be the best amp for my HD600 in this price range?? I have a good mid-fi amp at the moment but I know my HD600 is scalable to even greater heights. I've upgraded the cable and now it's time for a better amp.
smile.gif

Thanks for any help...

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #13,564 of 23,456
  Can anyone recommend a good amp in the $500 to $800 price range...what would be the best amp for my HD600 in this price range?? I have a good mid-fi amp at the moment but I know my HD600 is scalable to even greater heights. I've upgraded the cable and now it's time for a better amp.
smile.gif

Thanks for any help...

BH Crack, WA6, WA3, Icon Audio HP8 MK2, Feliks Elise, HPA V200  Anyone of these will work quite well but I recommend a little research as they all have their own sound traits.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #13,566 of 23,456

Wow...you've narrowed it down for me...
I'll do some research and see which one to go for.

Thanks!
gs1000.gif

I've heard all except the Elise, all are good but it depends on your preference.  For me I got the BH Crack but could also have gone with HP8 Mk2 if it were easier to get here in Hawaii.  Both of the Woo Audio amps are really good but they were a bit on the warm side to me, beautiful to look at.  The V200 is really good but I wanted something with tubes to play with and since I had an Ember the BH Crack made more sense since it uses most of the same driver tubes.

Wanted to let you know my reasoning behind my choice.  If I had more funds, a EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass or even a BH Mainline would be high on my list.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #13,567 of 23,456
  I've heard all except the Elise, all are good but it depends on your preference.  For me I got the BH Crack but could also have gone with HP8 Mk2 if it were easier to get here in Hawaii.  Both of the Woo Audio amps are really good but they were a bit on the warm side to me, beautiful to look at.  The V200 is really good but I wanted something with tubes to play with and since I had an Ember the BH Crack made more sense since it uses most of the same driver tubes.

Wanted to let you know my reasoning behind my choice.  If I had more funds, a EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass or even a BH Mainline would be high on my list.

Had time to research your suggestions tonight. Really liking what i'm reading about the Icon Audio HP8 MK2. The other amps are not so available in the uk (where I live). It's probably the best option for me and according to Inner fidelity it has quite a neutral sound.

Just what i'd be looking for.
Thanks for bringing this amp to my attention!
gs1000.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #13,568 of 23,456
  Hi everyone,

I got a pair of HD600 one month ago. Problem is that I feel pain in my ears most of the time I use them. The pain is really localized INTO the ears, maybe the ear-drum. I don't have any problem when I go back to my Beyer DT880. I don't know if the pain comes from the clamping force or directly from the SOUND...

Did anybody here have this kind of problem with the HD600 or any other headphones?

I'm seriously considering reselling them...

I will try to wear (not sure if we can say so... "wear headphones") them without any music in order to know if the problem is the clamping force or the sound itself.

Have you let them burn in extensively? I had the same exact problem but I let them burn in and the pain issue went away. It was almost like the treble was too sharp and stabbing my ears.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #13,569 of 23,456

Had time to research your suggestions tonight. Really liking what i'm reading about the Icon Audio HP8 MK2. The other amps are not so available in the uk (where I live). It's probably the best option for me and according to Inner fidelity it has quite a neutral sound.

gs1000.gif

Where you are located has a lot of influence in what one can purchase.  For me being in Hawaii a lot of vendors give free shipping everywhere but Hawaii and usually Alaska.  I heard the HP8 Mk2 when I was in Japan a few months ago and it impressed me enough compared to a WA22 that I started to research it.  The Elise is another amp built in Europe that would be very costly to ship to Hawaii that I got interested in. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #13,570 of 23,456

gs1000.gif

if you want to stick to solid state, the Burson Soloist SL Mk II works very well for me an the HD600's. I didn't want to mess around with tubes so researched until I found this gem of an amp.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #13,571 of 23,456
Just came here to say I wasn't a believer in the HD-600

I denied that it could be so good

****. Its so god damn good. I love these cans man. I've listened to a lot of different cans by now but this is one I've missed out on for the most part. I've heard it before but somehow its different now. Amp maybe? not sure. Jesus these are crazy good. 

review incoming. Not like we are lacking for those lol.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #13,574 of 23,456
I jumped on that deal on Monday. I got gear and I gave my wife the gift card... win-win. They should package more stuff like this.

That's a good move to appease the wife. I've only got a girlfriend, so I used my gift card to buy more headphones 
beyersmile.png

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #13,575 of 23,456
  Where you are located has a lot of influence in what one can purchase.  For me being in Hawaii a lot of vendors give free shipping everywhere but Hawaii and usually Alaska.  I heard the HP8 Mk2 when I was in Japan a few months ago and it impressed me enough compared to a WA22 that I started to research it.  The Elise is another amp built in Europe that would be very costly to ship to Hawaii that I got interested in. 

David, do you think HP8 is better than Elise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back