Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #13,501 of 23,456
The AKG 7XX vs the HD600 depends on what you amp it with. 7XX has a larger soundstage and the HD600 have better details/clarity in mids and highs.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #13,502 of 23,456
You should buy a decent amp that can sound good with your headphones and go for a top tier dac. Just sell one of your headphones that you don't like. Amps and dac make a big difference to the sound quality.

I have easily spent more on my amp and dac than on my headphones the HD600's are that good and deserver top tier amps and dacs to make them sound the best.

If you are on a budget then get Vali2 and modi2.

I don't want to spent more than $200. for amp and dac. that's why I was waiting for the o2 odac drop on massdrop

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #13,504 of 23,456
  I think I'll go with the HD600. How often do you think the ear pads in the HD600 needs to be replaced? Is there a significant difference between Vali + Modi 1 and 2?

How long the ear pads last depends on many things but one of the biggest is how much clamping force there is.  I've stretched out my headbands on both my HD-600 & 650 to reduce the clamping force since I was getting a head ache so the pads don't get compressed as much.

I didn't personally notice a difference between my Modi1 and Modi2ber, but then I didn't really do any side by side comparisons.  I've since sold the Modi1 so can't do a direct compare.

As @audiojun noted, the HD-600 does need better DAC/amp to perform, depending on your budget you could just get an amp first and DAC later.  Its more economical to go for something higher up than go up by little steps, this has been my experience, it may be different for others.  I love the BH Crack for the HD-600/650, hard to beat for under $400, some would say even under $1000.

I've only heard the original Vali and didn't care for it, problem is that I was comparing it with my Ember and BH Crack so it was not a fair comparison.  But there were other issues of the original Vali that I didn't like: none changeable tube, ringing when you bumped the desk or plugged or un-plugged a headphone.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #13,506 of 23,456
Ok. I'm back with my problem of clamping force. I did what you suggest with the help from another very useful thread (fully extend the metal parts from the headband, then carefully bend with the thumbs). It looks quite good now.

Now's the time to see if my problem was really the clamping force.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #13,507 of 23,456
Ok. I'm back with my problem of clamping force. I did what you suggest with the help from another very useful thread (fully extend the metal parts from the headband, then carefully bend with the thumbs). It looks quite good now.

FWIW I was getting head aches when I first got my HD-650, bending them to reduce the clamping force in half (estimate) and its all better.  When I got the HD-600, put them on my head and bent them out to the same as the HD-650

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #13,508 of 23,456
  I think I'll go with the HD600. How often do you think the ear pads in the HD600 needs to be replaced? Is there a significant difference between Vali + Modi 1 and 2?

The pads should last a decent amount of time. I haven't had to change mine yet and I've had them for over a year. I'd keep telling my bro needs to change out his HD650 pads, but he's used them for nearly a decade. And he won't listen :p

Good luck. I hope it's only the clamping force. I love the sound of my HD600s. As an overall headphone, I use it more than my HE-560. While the HE-560 has undoubtedly more high-fidelity sound, the HD600 actually has less clamping force (I did bend out the headband a little bit) and is overall more comfortable due to not using stupid round earpads.

.....begin short rant here.......
Seriously, who the hell thought of that? "Ears are obviously not round, let's just try to put them into round openings anyway." Who made that decision? Sennheiser was smart (at least with their truly hifi offerings cuz the Urbanites still use stupid circular pads), they used oval pads so that they would go all the way around the ears without touching them and without having to start wrapping around the front and back of my head. Because that's basically what round pads have to do; in order for the openings to be large enough to not squish into the top of my ears or earlobes, they end up being super wide too because IT'S A CIRCLE. I would just love it if all manufacturers would make oval earpads, it just makes so much sense.
.....end short rant......

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #13,509 of 23,456
  .....begin short rant here.......
Seriously, who the hell thought of that? "Ears are obviously not round, let's just try to put them into round openings anyway." Who made that decision? Sennheiser was smart (at least with their truly hifi offerings cuz the Urbanites still use stupid circular pads), they used oval pads so that they would go all the way around the ears without touching them and without having to start wrapping around the front and back of my head. Because that's basically what round pads have to do; in order for the openings to be large enough to not squish into the top of my ears or earlobes, they end up being super wide too because IT'S A CIRCLE. I would just love it if all manufacturers would make oval earpads, it just makes so much sense.
.....end short rant......

I would like to see more pads shaped like the HD-700 or HD-800, much more comfortable and does not need to so large to make them look ridiculous on your head.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #13,510 of 23,456
  I would like to see more pads shaped like the HD-700 or HD-800, much more comfortable and does not need to so large to make them look ridiculous on your head.

Incidentally, the HD700s may actually be the most comfortable headphone I've put on my head for that exact reason. I haven't tried the HD800, but they're pretty much the same shape, I think the HD800's look a tad bit larger. But yes, I consider the pad shape to be fantastic; I just wished they used the same sorta material as they did on the HD6x0, the velours felt better to me than the microfiber stuff they use on the HD700 and HD800.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #13,511 of 23,456
Ah... hello, old friend. It's been a while since I've given you a listen. But you're still the best — don't let anyone tell you otherwise! 
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #13,515 of 23,456
I'm looking at picking up a pair of the hd600 to complement my hd800 on my woo wa2. I live my hd800's but have always really enjoyed the hd600s in their easy listening style.

Easy listening as in it's like sitting on an old favourite couch - it just sounds real sweet.

Anyway.....would the hd600's still be suitable for plugging into a tv (or the mid price stereo (all in one)) that the sound comes out of?

I tried the hd800's and it seems fine. The volume was about 85%, similar to when listening direct from my iPad. Sure some detail was lost but there didn't appear to be any sound issues like distortion or graininess etc

What does your experience suggest?

Essentially it would be for my wa2 but will it pass the wife test for tv viewing coming off the athm50x? And hence can be offered as a badly veiled "house present" as opposed to a selfish ANOTHER piece of gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back