Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #12,827 of 23,454

Happy holidays everyone! :)

This is the best headphone money can buy for almost any price. $249 is the sale price now and I would recommend these at $400 too

I'm playing Pet Sounds 40th anniversary HDCD

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #12,828 of 23,454
I bought a second hand PPAStudio Headphone Cable for the HD600 that haven't arrived yet.

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com.br/2015/06/ear-phone-cables.html

Has anyone ever heard of this one? I got it for a very good price, considering they sell new for 199 dollars. I believe this is a must upgrade since the HD600 comes with such a weak cable.

So, I did some more research, and my main use for the HD600 will be at home, so the apogee Groove looses it's main aspect of portability. People seem to be recommending the Audio-GD NFB-11 as the best Amp/DAC combo for this price. What do you guys think?

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #12,829 of 23,454
I noticed last night I had an issue with the HD600s cable. The left channel cable makes noise and the right channel doesn't when I move. I tried unplugging and then plugging back in and still had the issue. Sound doesn't cut out, but somewhere something is loose in the connector. Also to clarfiy when I mean noise, like a physical noise, not loose contact noise.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #12,830 of 23,454
  I noticed last night I had an issue with the HD600s cable. The left channel cable makes noise and the right channel doesn't when I move. I tried unplugging and then plugging back in and still had the issue. Sound doesn't cut out, but somewhere something is loose in the connector. Also to clarfiy when I mean noise, like a physical noise, not loose contact noise.

Could it possibly be that weird spring connection problem that sometimes popped up in the old HD600s? Since I'm already assuming you've got the cables completely plugged in all the way. Then again, if it was the weird spring issue, you'd probably have cutting out and not just some weird noise. Odd indeed.....

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #12,832 of 23,454
Recently my vintage HD580s developed what I deemed a fatal driver failure.  Sennheiser showed the #091570 drivers out of stock (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/system-300r) 
plus at ~$150/pr + shipping it made more sense to me to buy a new pair on sale @ $249.95 shipped from B&H (I missed the $229 and $239 deals from other suppliers earlier in Novemeber).  So the HD580s have been retired.  

They were purchased in late December 1993 bundled with Headroom's Supreme headphone amp.  This after reading the Stereophile review of Tyll's inaugural product in the December 1993 issue.  Over the years I replaced the headband which cracked, went through several pairs of earpads and headband pads, and tweaked things with both HD600 grills and HD650 cables.  Not bad for 22 years service!

And as I've always found the sound exceptional from these cans, opting for new HD600s on sale just seemed the best fit for me.  No gambling on other makes and models :) 

I also did some research and decided on the Schiit Modi2/Vali USB DAC/Amp stack to obtain quailty sound from my desktop computer from both online sources and my ~600 CD collection that I'm in the process of ripping into FLAC onto a 1Tb drive for Micro SD use in a Xduoo X3. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #12,833 of 23,454
They were purchased in late December 1993 bundled with Headroom's Supreme headphone amp.  This after reading the Stereophile review of Tyll's inaugural product in the December 1993 issue.  Over the years I replaced the headband which cracked, went through several pairs of earpads and headband pads, and tweaked things with both HD600 grills and HD650 cables.  Not bad for 22 years service!

I'd say for 22 years of service, you got more than your money's worth out of them! Just curious, do you think the drivers failed due to any fault of your own? For example did you accidentally play something on max volume? Or do you think the material just naturally degraded after all that time?

Do please come back and let us know how the HD600s compare to the HD580s.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #12,834 of 23,454

I'd say for 22 years of service, you got more than your money's worth out of them! Just curious, do you think the drivers failed due to any fault of your own? For example did you accidentally play something on max volume? Or do you think the material just naturally degraded after all that time?

Do please come back and let us know how the HD600s compare to the HD580s.

dvsone,

The left driver developed a buzz at low frequencies.  Did all the normal diagnostic and repair steps (e.g. blowing out areas, using contact cleaner, checking cable contact spring tension, swapping cable attachments, et cetera ad naseum).  Ended up concluding the driver just having bit the wazoo :frowning2:   Given the age I was looking at a pair of new driver assemblies to obviate mismatching.  But as said that turned out to be a moot issue.  But at least I'll have several months old spare ear cushions and headband pad.  And of course the HD650 cable will go on to the new HD600s.

Over the years I've had many opportunities to audition HD600 and HD650s.  I found my "tweaked" HD580s to be basically indistinguishable from the early HD600s I sampled.  (As an aside I also tried the foam removal under the ear cushions but preferred the stock HD580 configuration more.)   I also found I preferred the HD600s to the HD650s.   So honestly I don't expect there to be anything to compare save the appearance of the two models.   The new ones should sound like my old pair after all the HD600 is basically a cosmetic change to the HD580 Jubilee which in turn was basically a closer matching of the HD580 drivers in a more upscale looking housing.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #12,835 of 23,454
     Over the years I've had many opportunities to audition HD600 and HD650s.  I found my "tweaked" HD580s to be basically indistinguishable from the early HD600s I sampled.  (As an aside I also tried the foam removal under the ear cushions but preferred the stock HD580 configuration more.)   I also found I preferred the HD600s to the HD650s.   So honestly I don't expect there to be anything to compare save the appearance of the two models.   The new ones should sound like my old pair after all the HD600 is basically a cosmetic change to the HD580 Jubilee which in turn was basically a closer matching of the HD580 drivers in a more upscale looking housing.

Music to my ears as a HD580 owner (I have HD600 grills on them, also replaced headband pad and put on velour earpads on them from China), they are still going strong. I thought about "upgrading" to the HD600 when I saw them for $229 a few week ago but held off. I'll just proudly use my HD580s til they bit the dust as you did.:)

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #12,836 of 23,454
  Recently my vintage HD580s developed what I deemed a fatal driver failure.  Sennheiser showed the #091570 drivers out of stock (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/system-300r) 
plus at ~$150/pr + shipping it made more sense to me to buy a new pair on sale @ $249.95 shipped from B&H (I missed the $229 and $239 deals from other suppliers earlier in Novemeber).  So the HD580s have been retired.  

And as I've always found the sound exceptional from these cans, opting for new HD600s on sale just seemed the best fit for me.  No gambling on other makes and models :) 

I also did some research and decided on the Schiit Modi2/Vali USB DAC/Amp stack to obtain quailty sound from my desktop computer from both online sources and my ~600 CD collection that I'm in the process of ripping into FLAC onto a 1Tb drive for Micro SD use in a Xduoo X3. 

600 CDs? I think that's about 200GB in FLAC form. Roughly at least, based on using average values of about 12 songs per CD, with about 30MB per song. You've got a lot of organization to do setting metadata like artist, album, song name, track number, year, and genre. Not to mention however many of those songs have featuring artists. Hope you're doing it while listening to the HD600s!
o2smile.gif

Music to my ears as a HD580 owner (I have HD600 grills on them, also replaced headband pad and put on velour earpads on them from China), they are still going strong. I thought about "upgrading" to the HD600 when I saw them for $229 a few week ago but held off. I'll just proudly use my HD580s til they bit the dust as you did.:)

Coulda bought them anyway for immediate use if you're HD580 dies. No waiting for shipping haha.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #12,837 of 23,454
You've got a lot of organization to do setting metadata like artist, album, song name, track number, year, and genre. Not to mention however many of those songs have featuring artists. Hope you're doing it while listening to the HD600s! :o2smile:

I think most library players take care of the metadata just fine. I know iTunes does it almost flawlessly for me, when I rip CD's. I've almost never had to enter artist/track/album/year info manually, except of course for custom compilations, home recordings, etc.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #12,838 of 23,454
Just receive my 650. Really interesting! I just found 600 sound wonderful with my tube amplifier and 650 sound wonderful with my SS amplifier. And 600 sounds bad with my SS amp. and 650 sounds bad with my tube amp.! When with each amplifier, I think 650 is a little bit better than 600. Both amplifiers are from Taobao, though both are reputed products. This two Senn. is really legend! I'll put Valhalla as my next aim to see how much potential I can dig from these two giants!
Any can recommand a great SS amplifier for 600? Thanks.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #12,839 of 23,454
I think most library players take care of the metadata just fine. I know iTunes does it almost flawlessly for me, when I rip CD's. I've almost never had to enter artist/track/album/year info manually, except of course for custom compilations, home recordings, etc.

Oh, I guess some of the FLACs I download just aren't done correctly then. Oh well, just more time for you to enjoy the HD600s haha.

Just receive my 650. Really interesting! I just found 600 sound wonderful with my tube amplifier and 650 sound wonderful with my SS amplifier. And 600 sounds bad with my SS amp. and 650 sounds bad with my tube amp.! When with each amplifier, I think 650 is a little bit better than 600. Both amplifiers are from Taobao, though both are reputed products. This two Senn. is really legend! I'll put Valhalla as my next aim to see how much potential I can dig from these two giants!
Any can recommand a great SS amplifier for 600? Thanks.

Hmm, maybe I'm just not too picky. I'm happy with my HD600 on my SS amp, using a Topping TP30mkII.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #12,840 of 23,454
  Oh, I guess some of the FLACs I download just aren't done correctly then. Oh well, just more time for you to enjoy the HD600s haha.

Hmm, maybe I'm just not too picky. I'm happy with my HD600 on my SS amp, using a Topping TP30mkII.

I'm not say HD600 is not good on SS. I just said it's not good on the SS I have. That's why I asked what's good SS for HD600. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back