Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #11,146 of 23,431
Can you post a picture?  Because either they replaced it with something nonstandard, or it got squished down over time, like the user didn't know they could adjust headband.  

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #11,148 of 23,431
  Can you post a picture?  Because either they replaced it with something nonstandard, or it got squished down over time, like the user didn't know they could adjust headband.  

I don't have pictures since I only had a few minutes with them as I arrived late and the shop was closing. Also I probably won't have much time to screw around as they say there are other people interested so they can only hold it for a few days for me.
They used to be a distributor for Sennheiser headphones here and they they saw some models with this slim style padding and some with the fat padding, and don't really know what the variety comes from, maybe one model is for a different market or is from an older series or something like that.
It's pretty similar to the usual padding, only much slimmer.
Just found a picture which might be close to what I saw, you can see here too that it has definitely much slimmer paddings than the usual: http://www.head-fi.org/t/498828/traded-sennheiser-hd600-and-cardas-cable-aus

Also a similar here and here

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #11,149 of 23,431
The link you have there has pictures of standard padding.  Mine are like that, and they are over 1/3 of an inch thick, new.   

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #11,152 of 23,431
The first one is a very well used pair.  They get flattened out after use over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Foam-Headband-HD600-HD580/dp/B00J80IMJ4

Take a look at the before and after picture in the review

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #11,153 of 23,431
Thanks guys. I understand it wouldn't be a particularly great deal for you, but in my country, it's pretty much as low as I can get them.
It's actually a bit below $180 and that includes VAT (which matters a lot, as VAT in my country is a horrendous 27%). If I'd want to buy them new, it's standard price here is around $420. For new, my best bet is to order it from another country, but even if I could order it from the US at $239 and they would ship it here, VAT would make it $303.53, and that's not even including any shipping cost. In European countries, the best price I can get (including shipping) is around $300 if I catch rare, good deal on Amazon. So it's really significantly cheaper then any deal I could get for a new pair (sadly).

About the slim padding: I really doubt it's because of wear. I have a HD 555 in my house (which's padding looks similar material) which is over 5 years old and is used almost daily and it's shape didn't really change at all. I think this must be a different type of padding than the usual, the real question is if it came like this (they say it did) or if it was changed later... Since none of you seem to know anything about it, I would think it's the latter. But it also doesn't really make sense...
Hi scorpeeon,
I am from Europe too and the vat here in my country is 24% ,so i had 2 options:second hand or new and my best bet was to buy them new from Amazon.uk,the initial price was 206 GBP and with vat and shipping 220 GBP!Before the purchase i was trying to find them second hand but even so the price was almost like new,with black baffle(screen),old variant before 2007 wich dont have same crisp sound like new HD600!I warn you there are alot of ''secular''pairs of HD600 and i did not want this for me,LoL!My advice is to buy them new,save money another month or two and go on this route!

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #11,154 of 23,431
  The first one is a very well used pair.  They get flattened out after use over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Foam-Headband-HD600-HD580/dp/B00J80IMJ4

Take a look at the before and after picture in the review

Wow, that is really interesting, it seems they really do flatten out. I would imagine that it would take a lot of time and use to get that flat though. Maybe it was sitting on a headphone stand for all these years and that's why it got so flat... Or worse case: it was used that much by different people. But other than that it didn't look so wore out, so I doubt it...

bobbyblack: yeah, I check Amazon uk from time to time and was tempted to buy it from there, but 220 GBP is also around 320 USD, almost twice the price. Sometimes I also see similar or a bit better deals on the .fr or .de site, but it never goes low enough to get it below $300 if I want new.
Yeah, I've heard people prefer the sound of the new silver screen version but as I've heard the difference should be quite subtle. I'm not that cheap, it wouldn't be a problem to save up more money for a new pair, but if I can get them for almost half the price and are generally OK, than it might be a good deal.
Since it generally looked OK and pretty much all parts can be changed later if needed, I feel like I can't go very wrong with it. Well, it was a bit dirty on places but because it's parts can be removed I suppose cleaning them shouldn't be very hard.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #11,155 of 23,431
  I have started regularly checking spl now when listening.  I have tinnitus and I don't want it to get worse.  To my surprise I'm usually floating in the mid 70db range.  Protect your ears people.  The cleaner and less distorted your music becomes the easier it is to exceed safe limits.  I meter my speaker system too.

So are there SPL meters that work under a headphone to find out how loud your headphones are? Thank you

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #11,157 of 23,431
  So are there SPL meters that work under a headphone to find out how loud your headphones are? Thank you

sure, you could use the cheap radio shack spl meter (if its still made), or download an SPL app to your smartphone and use that.  That would probably work even better.  

I tend to listen about 85 db on either speakers or headphones, that's probably a little on the loud side for long-term use, especially with IEM's

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #11,158 of 23,431
Hi scorpeeon,
I am from Europe too and the vat here in my country is 24% ,so i had 2 options:second hand or new and my best bet was to buy them new from Amazon.uk,the initial price was 206 GBP and with vat and shipping 220 GBP!Before the purchase i was trying to find them second hand but even so the price was almost like new,with black baffle(screen),old variant before 2007 wich dont have same crisp sound like new HD600!I warn you there are alot of ''secular''pairs of HD600 and i did not want this for me,LoL!My advice is to buy them new,save money another month or two and go on this route!

I paid $450 USD to get mine here in Canada. I've never seen it below $400 here. I would do it all over again too. Assuming your talking about the HD 600 that is.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #11,159 of 23,431
I've just ordered them (new) for 289 EUR including VAT and shipping costs (that's 209.247 GBP or 306.466 USD). They will arrive tomorrow.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #11,160 of 23,431
  I've just ordered them (new) for 289 EUR including VAT and shipping costs (that's 209.247 GBP or 306.466 USD). They will arrive tomorrow.

beerchug.gif
 good price and I am sure you will love them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back