Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #11,116 of 23,439
It would be a mistake to think the E12's bass-boost is some kind of huge difference in sound. To those who haven't heard it and are reading about it here (and on the many other E12 threads), regardless of whether it's V.1 or V.2, it not like it changes a normal frequency and changes it into a thumpin', growlin', bass-monsta, it doesn't. For me, on my TF10's and my HD600's, it just adds a bit of heft, authority, and slam, very pleasantly I might add. I never turn it off! I'd also agree that the cross-feed isn't useful to me in any way. To those who are using E6's or E11's, it isn't simply whether the cans can be driven to a satisfactory volume level, it's the quality of the volume! Hard to explain but just try yr Hd600's with a 'better' amp and you'll discover another of the great facts about them which is how well they 'scale' as you start feeding them better input (music source, amps, tubes, even cables!).

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #11,117 of 23,439
It would be a mistake to think the E12's bass-boost is some kind of huge difference in sound. To those who haven't heard it and are reading about it here (and on the many other E12 threads), regardless of whether it's V.1 or V.2, it not like it changes a normal frequency and changes it into a thumpin', growlin', bass-monsta, it doesn't. For me, on my TF10's and my HD600's, it just adds a bit of heft, authority, and slam, very pleasantly I might add. I never turn it off! I'd also agree that the cross-feed isn't useful to me in any way. To those who are using E6's or E11's, it isn't simply whether the cans can be driven to a satisfactory volume level, it's the quality of the volume! Hard to explain but just try yr Hd600's with a 'better' amp and you'll discover another of the great facts about them which is how well they 'scale' as you start feeding them better input (music source, amps, tubes, even cables!).

Perhaps your use of the terms scaling and quality of volume has to do with transient distortion when there is not enough power for peaks in the music you are listening to at the loudness level you are using. Bass boost adds significantly to the demand on peaks.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #11,118 of 23,439
I am just sharing my love to HD600...
Best spent £165 ($245) ever...
 Even after 2 years of constant listening can not get bored of them...

(Just find a way to enhance bass when necessary, and you will never be able to justify an upgrade less then triple of this price.)

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #11,120 of 23,439
No problem,im happy you like it,just give them 50 hours and after that switch back to Voskhods and compare them again:D!

What are you saying here? Am I going to regret that spare set of Voskhods I ordered?? 
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #11,121 of 23,439
  I am just sharing my love to HD600...
Best spent £165 ($245) ever...
 Even after 2 years of constant listening can not get bored of them...

(Just find a way to enhance bass when necessary, and you will never be able to justify an upgrade less then triple of this price.)

Not surprised.  I've owned a pair since 2003 & they're still one of my favourite HPs.  It's one of the best made HPs, a classic.  Glad you still like/appreciate them.  Good investment for sure.  I've nicknamed mine "O'l reliable."

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #11,124 of 23,439
I found HD600 to have better high frequency detail and bass impact. This graph seems to confirm my experience.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #11,125 of 23,439
  I found HD600 to have better high frequency detail and bass impact. This graph seems to confirm my experience.

Have a look at Tyll's measurements.  the HD650 actually has more bass.

I got to compare the two side-by-side (volume matched properly) with same files on same equipment over a week long period - here was my take: http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #11,126 of 23,439

Have a look at Tyll's measurements.  the HD650 actually has more bass.

I got to compare the two side-by-side (volume matched properly) with same files on same equipment over a week long period - here was my take: http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Awesome comparison! I had already read it many times. I think that HD650 has actually more bass but also more lower mids/mid-bass, giving them a fuller but less impactful sound. It's certainly true that they have more bass related to high frequencies, but that's because there's a higher rolloff, because the same could be said about lower mids, wich are more prominent than on HD600. If you align the graphs at 1Khz, you can actually see how HD600 gives more in the 70hz-130hz range. This was very noticeable to me, much more than the differences in the high frequencies, and the factor that made me ultimately pick between HD600 and HD650.
You can actually see the same thing on Tyll's measurements by aligning the graphs at 1khz.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #11,127 of 23,439
To answer another thread I am using my low end LG cell phone with HD600. Quit a surprise working very well I'm at 3/4 volume and its as loud as I would want and sound pretty darn good. Much better than I had imagined it would be. Using Jet Audio on phone.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #11,128 of 23,439
To answer another thread I am using my low end LG cell phone with HD600. Quit a surprise working very well I'm at 3/4 volume and its as loud as I would want and sound pretty darn good. Much better than I had imagined it would be. Using Jet Audio on phone.
Yeah I did not find them hard to drive either, got very good results driving them with my moto G 2014

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #11,129 of 23,439
Just relistened to Yanni's Live at the Acropolis after 10 years.  Bliss.  

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #11,130 of 23,439
So last night I dug into my archives ready to listen to a bunch of stuff I hadn't heard in a while and was surprised both good and bad - I had heard in several reviews that the 600 was fairly forgiving of so-so source material but I found that to be totally false - good source material = Outstanding experience, less than good source material was comparable to farts in a tin can. Any ways my 'end game' can was a Fostex TH900 (with the lcd-3 close behind) but it is out of my price league but with the hd600 it doesn't really matter anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back