Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #11,026 of 23,454
They are so tight, there is no way they will move :p

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #11,027 of 23,454
Fit is great for me. Can wear for hour after hour. Can't seem to take them off.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #11,028 of 23,454
You said the HD 600's sound fantastic / crazy good with different tubes on the LD MKIII, so then did you mean that you still like the Keces better? But it looks like that one's not available anyway, so it would likely just be a choice between the LD MKIII or FiiO E12 DIY version.
Thanks very much everybody - this knowledge benefits all of us too.

Yes my favorite SS amp with the HD600 is the Keces which I purchased used on the for sale forums and my favorite tube amp is the LD with the Voskhods tubes. The have different sound signatures but each brings something special to the music. You can pick up a LD new or used but it might be a little tough to find the Keces. Never heard the Fiio amps so can't comment.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #11,029 of 23,454
Yes my favorite SS amp with the HD600 is the Keces which I purchased used on the for sale forums and my favorite tube amp is the LD with the Voskhods tubes. The have different sound signatures but each brings something special to the music. You can pick up a LD new or used but it might be a little tough to find the Keces. Never heard the Fiio amps so can't comment.

That's good advice, thanks. I'm getting all set to get a Little Dot MK3 amp. That seems pretty cool that you can actually change the sound signature on an amp using tubes that cost just around $7 each, almost like a physical EQ of sorts I suppose.

I'm interested to know what exactly the Voshkod tubes do to the sound signature of the MK3 as heard with the HD 600 'cans. Maybe you can post your reply to that on the Little Dot Tube Rolling guide thread on Head-Fi. Please check it out and maybe you can also help me with a few of my "stupid questions" that I posted on page 633 there.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #11,031 of 23,454
Coming from a pair of cheapos, the thing that changes the most is maybe the treble. Gawd... Now I can't even call that treble anymore.
The HD600s are the almost perfect blend of all the musical components that define the listening experience. I can't begin to comprehend what lies ahead...

Edit: Written in one of those euphoric moments.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #11,032 of 23,454
  Coming from a pair of cheapos, the thing that changes the most is maybe the treble. Gawd... Now I can't even call that treble anymore.
The HD600s are the almost perfect blend of all the musical components that define the listening experience. I can't begin to comprehend what lies ahead...

Edit: Written in one of those euphoric moments.

I doubt if the cheapos can render the clean clear fundamental tone of bass notes They probably boom, distort or roll off the bass so you cannot make out each individual musical note. Listen carefully and you will hear all of the improvements. Although the HD600's are not very hard to drive they do require an amp to swing a certain amount of voltage to deliver the goods. What are you driving them with?

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #11,033 of 23,454
  I doubt if the cheapos can render the clean clear fundamental tone of bass notes They probably boom, distort or roll off the bass so you cannot make out each individual musical note. Listen carefully and you will hear all of the improvements. Although the HD600's are not very hard to drive they do require an amp to swing a certain amount of voltage to deliver the goods. What are you driving them with?

I was kind of expecting a similar response. I used the word "most" because without doubt you can't really compare them to those inexpensive earbuds. I mean Yes, the bass is deeper with more control, rich and what not. But man, before the HD600s, I could sort of imagine what "hi-fi" (or mid-fi) would bring to the table, but the change in treble (especially the cymbals) was an unexpected surprise. It used to be like Phiss Phiss Phiss... Now it's so much more textured. I can't even articulate those sounds. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'm using the old Fiio E7/E9 combo btw.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #11,034 of 23,454
  I was kind of expecting a similar response. I used the word "most" because without doubt you can't really compare them to those inexpensive earbuds. I mean Yes, the bass is deeper with more control, rich and what not. But man, before the HD600s, I could sort of imagine what "hi-fi" (or mid-fi) would bring to the table, but the change in treble (especially the cymbals) was an unexpected surprise. It used to be like Phiss Phiss Phiss... Now it's so much more textured. I can't even articulate those sounds. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'm using the old Fiio E7/E9 combo btw.

I know what you are saying. I can't take mine off. All my music is new again.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #11,035 of 23,454

That's because the treble of the HD600's is very well behaves. Many cheap IEM's have bad peaks and or a tilted treble response which makes cymbals and the metallic sounds of percussion sound weird. The HD600's are a real steal, they sound fantastic and are not incredibly expensive. So what are you using for an Amp?

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #11,036 of 23,454
  That's because the treble of the HD600's is very well behaves. Many cheap IEM's have bad peaks and or a tilted treble response which makes cymbals and the metallic sounds of percussion sound weird. The HD600's are a real steal, they sound fantastic and are not incredibly expensive. So what are you using for an Amp?

Fiio E9. Works quite well.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #11,038 of 23,454
My Fiio E12 works great with them. Even my E6 does a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back