Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #10,789 of 23,430
Yep.  For an alternate DAC/amp combo and bit of flexibility, the FiiO E10K has a bass boost switch that you might find useful.  

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #10,791 of 23,430
It wasn't an exhaustive A/B when I auditioned both the 598 and 600, but to me the only obvious difference in sound was the treble / detail retrieval.  

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #10,792 of 23,430
Just checking in as I recently bought these again. I've owned the hd595, hd650, hd800 and now the hd600 twice. These for me, are like an old reliable friend that you can always trust haha. 

The only headphone that beats them in certain aspects is the HD800. But I can honestly say that the music sounds better (more musical) on the HD600. Technically the 800's are of course better from an audiophile perspective but the 600's have a certain charm and 'punchiness' that the more expensive big brother lacks. They make the music more fun. This has a lot to do with the treble and soundstage of the HD800 and the sense of space, which is great for analysing and picking out detail, but a coherence can be lost on some recordings. You can throw any recording you want at the 600's and it will sound good. You can't do this with the 650 or 800.

I've said this many times but I think it is an important point and could save you money on pads. If you bend the metal part of the headband (after opening the headband to its highest setting) outwards - you can ease the vice grip, this keeps the soundstage open and airy as well as preventing the pads from prematurely squashing. Obviously be very careful doing this and make sure you are only putting pressure on the metal part. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #10,794 of 23,430
It's amazing how long these have been in production.  I'm getting my first set soon, I've had AKG701 for years, but always longed after the HD600.  

Recommendation on good pairing for amp?  

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #10,796 of 23,430
  It's amazing how long these have been in production.  I'm getting my first set soon, I've had AKG701 for years, but always longed after the HD600.  

Recommendation on good pairing for amp?  

Any good quality amp that can deliver at 300 Ohms. What's your budget? Unlike some might have you believe, it will not require a mortgage.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #10,797 of 23,430
  Simply question for all :

Also this HD600 tends to enphasize the audio track defects during listen session of not good quality tracks ? More or less then 598 ?

The HD600 has less distortion, a better quality bass and a more consistent treble. The 600 also leaks more sound, if that's an issue. Given the two, I reach for the HD600's.
I ditched the 598's and later on picked up the 558's for office use as it does not leak so much and being open I can hear another person when they come by to talk to me and respond. There's not much of a difference between the 558's and 598's, although the 598's look cooler.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #10,798 of 23,430
  Simply question for all :

Also this HD600 tends to enphasize the audio track defects during listen session of not good quality tracks ? More or less then 598 ?

From my experience with HD600, it's quite unforgiving to bad source material (people may say otherwise, but...). For that reason I've mostly listened to high quality stuff on my pair (jazz, acoustic, some classic rock)... Suffice to say since I got my LCD-2, my listening preferences have shifted and widened considerably. :)

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #10,799 of 23,430
From my experience with HD600, it's quite unforgiving to bad source material (people may say otherwise, but...). For that reason I've mostly listened to high quality stuff on my pair (jazz, acoustic, some classic rock)... Suffice to say since I got my LCD-2, my listening preferences have shifted and widened considerably. :)

Really the only way for a can to be "forgiving" of bad material is to be of such low resolution that sounds all blend together and detail isn't retrieved. Those fans won't really sound good with anything. That said, I wouldn't say the 600 exaggerates problems, simply has enough resolution that problems can be heard. I'm still able to enjoy poor to mediocre recordings with the 600, they just don't allow the 600 to shine to its full potential

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #10,800 of 23,430
Really the only way for a can to be "forgiving" of bad material is to be of such low resolution that sounds all blend together and detail isn't retrieved. Those fans won't really sound good with anything. That said, I wouldn't say the 600 exaggerates problems, simply has enough resolution that problems can be heard. I'm still able to enjoy poor to mediocre recordings with the 600, they just don't allow the 600 to shine to its full potential

+1 GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out. In that case there's not much to shine about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back