Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #10,112 of 23,501
  Stan, where can I find an a/b switch like that? I just find the magni to be a tad bright, can't help shaking that impression. I know the magni is 5x gain and I use my o2 at 2.5x gain, maybe that is it?

I made my own. I made it with a center off switch so a helper can fiddle the switch and confuse the listener as to the switch's position. I also added bannana jacks so I could plug in a meter to measure levels. I'm thinking of making a similar box with RCA jacks and two volume controls (Potentiometers) so I can test two DACs to the same Amp and headphones. I'll have to get around to ordering the parts.
One has to be able to switch back and forth between what they are testing and carefully match the volumes as we percieve tone (FR) differently at different volumes.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #10,113 of 23,501
  The HD600 was an interesting step for me. I went down to it from the LCD-2.2's with a big setup. I adore them, but I am curious what they'd sound like with a few alterations. 

I might just buy the HD650 drivers straight from Sennheiser. 

Why the change from LCD's?

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #10,114 of 23,501
  Hmm, maybe it is the Schiit house sound I don't like then....

I wouln't jump to that conclusion just based on Magni. Some folks have reported that Magni can  be bright, but that is definitely NOT the case for other Schiit products. 

My Bifrost, once fully burned in (400 hours or so) was smooth, sweet, and mellifluous-sounding. But definitely not bright.

I'm listening to my Valhalla 2 right now with only a few minutes on the clock, and it is not bright, either. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #10,117 of 23,501

They were just so expensive and so refined it felt like complete overkill. Plus they're really not fun to wear. 

Wow that's the same reason that made me downgrading from LCD2s
biggrin.gif
, i miss HD600 now...

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #10,118 of 23,501
Just ordered a modi, is that similar in profile to the bifrost?

Yes, if you ordered a Modi2, it should be quite similar to the Bifrost. I'm listening to my brand-new Modi2 Uber right now...it sounds great, but it's clear it needs some burn-in also. Going to hook my Valhalla 2 up to Gungnir tonight to see what that sounds like...should be really nice. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #10,119 of 23,501
Okay, for you cable believers out there, Would headphones cables change the sound as in color it and add extra stuff to it, or does it improve the sound by letting "the signal go through smoother and fully"

Any experience with the Cardas cables for HD 600/650's?

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #10,120 of 23,501
  Okay, for you cable believers out there, Would headphones cables change the sound as in color it and add extra stuff to it, or does it improve the sound by letting "the signal go through smoother and fully"

There is a lot of debate about whether cables make a difference or not. But I have found a difference personally. The sound signature doesn't change, there is no coloration from different cables in my experience. The differences are usually minor changes in smoothness and a bit more depth and coherency to the sound, nothing really major in my experience. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #10,121 of 23,501
  There is a lot of debate about whether cables make a difference or not. But I have found a difference personally. The sound signature doesn't change, there is no coloration from different cables in my experience. The differences are usually minor changes in smoothness and a bit more depth and coherency to the sound, nothing really major in my experience. 

Is this experience with any analog cables? Or just your experience in headphone cables?

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #10,122 of 23,501

The only, ONLY difference cables make is in two ways: 1 is that the material can alter the sound a little bit (silver is brighter than copper), and 2 is that structural integrity can keep the signal strong. Other than that, there's nothing. So pick a material and get one that looks sturdy, that's it. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #10,123 of 23,501
  Is this experience with any analog cables? Or just your experience in headphone cables?

With analog cables in general, I personally always found interconnects made a bigger difference than headphone cables. There are other differences I noticed but not really doing with coloration. I have found different cables do tend to sound a bit different even if both are the same material and similarly built. I have found silver generally does sound a bit different than copper. I didn't necessarily found them brighter though. I never really experimented with high end cables though, I like to keep my cables reasonably priced($40-70) and not that much more than a stock replacement. I have auditioned headphones with very pricey cables but never compared them to stock or anything.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #10,125 of 23,501
My HD600s arrived today! Started listening with Hell Freezes Over through my FiiO E09k/E17 combo, and I have to say I really like how clear the sound is. Coming from the Shure 1540s, the vocals on the HD600 aren't as good, but everything else sounds fantastic. I do realise that Shure vocals are like liquid gold, so that was always going to be hard to beat, but overall the balanced and clear sound from the HD600 is something I feel I'm going to really enjoy.

Has there been much discussion on alternate pads? I'm not sure I could wear these for more than a few hours at a time, and I would really love something comfier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back