Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #10,051 of 23,472
LOL this thread is starting to make me want to borrow some HD-650s and A/B for a while just to see. The last time I tested a pair was on a nice setup in a store, but it's been a little while and who knows. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #10,052 of 23,472
Yeah, I feel the same. I would be happy to try the HD650. 
At the same time I know, if I want to have something significantly better than my recent gear, I should spend at least double of the money I have already spent... So I guess, I just stay with enjoying this setup for a while... :)
And there is plenty to enjoy... :)

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #10,055 of 23,472
Honestly I don't consider "dark" a bad thing. Now if it's the kind of warm/dark that is leading back toward the Philips X1s then screw it I already have a pair of those. I've read in a few places that the newer 650s don't have the big bass hump of the old, and if that's the case then there's probably no point, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really curious.

I'm a former LCD-2.2 owner as I've mentioned, and frankly I have no interest in heading down that path again. I've spent tons of money on gear and while obviously it's better, it's not better enough. It's small shavings of improvement. More like I'm just trying to find that perfect pair I can sit and relax with. The HD600s are hitting that itch perfectly, so I guess it's just wondering if the 650s would do it better haha. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #10,056 of 23,472
  Honestly I don't consider "dark" a bad thing. Now if it's the kind of warm/dark that is leading back toward the Philips X1s then screw it I already have a pair of those. I've read in a few places that the newer 650s don't have the big bass hump of the old, and if that's the case then there's probably no point, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really curious.

I'm a former LCD-2.2 owner as I've mentioned, and frankly I have no interest in heading down that path again. I've spent tons of money on gear and while obviously it's better, it's not better enough. It's small shavings of improvement. More like I'm just trying to find that perfect pair I can sit and relax with. The HD600s are hitting that itch perfectly, so I guess it's just wondering if the 650s would do it better haha. 

To follow Audeze's play book, Sennheiser would have to version number their products, like an HD-650-1.1 and so on. Perhaps they only changed some colors to confuse everyone.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #10,057 of 23,472

You just have to try both, who knows which you would prefer. I had a similar itch personally. The HD 650 is only a little darker and warmer than the HD 600, one of the biggest differences between the two is smoothness which makes it more gentle sounding. I'm a person who loves smoothness, so I naturally prefer the HD 650. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #10,058 of 23,472
I was actually very surprised.  The first time I A/B'd years ago - hte HD600 was definitely a lot brighter, and the HD650 a lot bassier - my memory is for a greater difference.

When I did it earlier this year (both silver driver screen), the two were a lot closer.

The difference was more in the treble than the bass.  The really nice thing about the HD650 though is the impression of a very black background - I think this is where you might egt the comments about the 650 being more refined.

If I had to purchase again, I would be very tempted to go 650 next time ....... (and I love my 600's)

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #10,059 of 23,472
  I was actually very surprised.  The first time I A/B'd years ago - hte HD600 was definitely a lot brighter, and the HD650 a lot bassier - my memory is for a greater difference.

When I did it earlier this year (both silver driver screen), the two were a lot closer.

The difference was more in the treble than the bass.  The really nice thing about the HD650 though is the impression of a very black background - I think this is where you might egt the comments about the 650 being more refined.

If I had to purchase again, I would be very tempted to go 650 next time ....... (and I love my 600's)

That could be it. Having heard the black-screen HD 650, I understand where all the old complaints about the HD 650 come from. I was told the black and silver screened HD 600 are a lot closer to each other than the different versions of the HD 650. I have an old HD 545(which is black-screened), it sound reminds me more of the HD 600 than the HD 650 but a little less refined but brighter and leaner. That could be it for me, the very black background as well as smoothness on the HD 650.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #10,060 of 23,472
Honestly I don't consider "dark" a bad thing. The HD600s are hitting that itch perfectly, so I guess it's just wondering if the 650s would do it better haha. 

I would crack on with enjoying your 600's. :)

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #10,061 of 23,472
  You just have to try both, who knows which you would prefer. I had a similar itch personally. The HD 650 is only a little darker and warmer than the HD 600, one of the biggest differences between the two is smoothness which makes it more gentle sounding. I'm a person who loves smoothness, so I naturally prefer the HD 650. 

If that's the only real difference, then 600s it is. One thing I really enjoy about the 600s is how they hit, for example, the distortion of a guitar and I can hear every crackle. I was thinking it was a bassier idea but looking at charts I'm not sure I like HOW that bass is there. 

I would crack on with enjoying your 600's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, that's the main thing, isn't it? quit overthinking, just enjoy! 

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #10,062 of 23,472

If that's the only real difference, then 600s it is. One thing I really enjoy about the 600s is how they hit, for example, the distortion of a guitar and I can hear every crackle. I was thinking it was a bassier idea but looking at charts I'm not sure I like HOW that bass is there. 

It's not the only difference, it's one of the more obvious differences, it is a bit more resolving, cleaner, and a bit faster as well. It's also more euphoric and musical. They do differ a bit in presentation, the HD 600 has an edgier presentation which does lend itself better to some things and depending on your preferences may be better for you. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #10,063 of 23,472
  It's not the only difference, it's one of the more obvious differences, it is a bit more resolving, cleaner, and a bit faster as well. It's also more euphoric and musical. They do differ a bit in presentation, the HD 600 has an edgier presentation which does lend itself better to some things and depending on your preferences may be better for you. 

Dammit. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend haha. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #10,064 of 23,472

Dammit. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend haha. 

You may not find it as a big of a difference as I do, I'm quite smitten by the HD 650 as you can probably tell. Opinions differ quite a bit between the two. What really matters is which makes you more happy of the two, thats all that really truly matters with audio is if you are happy and content with what you have or not. I personally wasn't ever fully happy with the HD 600, it was so close to what I wanted but never quite what I wanted, then my friend let me borrow her HD 650 for a few weeks and that's when I realized the HD 650 was what I wanted so I bought a pair as soon as I had extra funds. The HD 600 was a very important step in my audiophile journey though, it made me realize exactly what I truly wanted in my sound. Honestly I think the HD 600 is probably one of the best first headphones to get for the blooming audiophiles as it should help them realize what they want in a headphone. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #10,065 of 23,472
The HD600 was an interesting step for me. I went down to it from the LCD-2.2's with a big setup. I adore them, but I am curious what they'd sound like with a few alterations. 

I might just buy the HD650 drivers straight from Sennheiser. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back