Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #10,021 of 23,482
I calculated the output around 13.33mW @300ohm.

I listen the music at moderate level , mostly my music is jazz...
I'm not compare the gain of these amps, I'm only listen the music through these amps and try to enjoy.

Regarding sound quality , D1  (fyi, this 3 years old amp) deliver better sound than D3, D1 has well defined bass and mid range.
D3 just reach 2 hour use, need to pass burn in period.

My interesting  is the compact size of D3 ,and produce good sound (at least for my ear).

~ron~

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #10,022 of 23,482
Hi all, I have the Fiio E09K powering my HD600s. It definitely has the power to power the headphones but are there better amps around same pricerange or are they pretty much the same? Anyone have any experience with the Objective 2 in comparison to the E09K? I have nothing to compare them to.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #10,024 of 23,482
I'm using a FiiO E10K as dac. It uses the TI PCM5102A chip which is used in a lot of good dac's today. Are there any worthy upgrades to this in the <$300 price range? Shouldn't dac's be perfected and transparent by now?

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #10,025 of 23,482
Guys, I currently have the Fiio e7/e9 combo (old version) and the HD600s. Talking pure sound quality, will the Dragonfly be better than the e7/e9 and will it have enough power to drive the Senns to good listening levels?

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #10,026 of 23,482
Guys, I currently have the Fiio e7/e9 combo (old version) and the HD600s. Talking pure sound quality, will the Dragonfly be better than the e7/e9 and will it have enough power to drive the Senns to good listening levels?

I find the Dragonfly too weak for the 600s - I definitely hear the infamous "veil" which is not a fault of the cans themselves but a symptom of their being insufficiently powered IMHO. Better to use it as a DAC to feed a separate amp with enough juice.  DF → Schiit Vali → HD600 is my home setup and I love it!

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #10,028 of 23,482
Hi all, I have the Fiio E09K powering my HD600s. It definitely has the power to power the headphones but are there better amps around same pricerange or are they pretty much the same? Anyone have any experience with the Objective 2 in comparison to the E09K? I have nothing to compare them to.

The E09K isn't a bad amp; sure, a lot of Class A amps near its price range might measure with lower THDs at high output, but at sane listening levels it could be difficult to pick out the difference. I can tell between it and the Asgard for example but that's mostly in slightly tighter low frequency notes from the Schiit.

BTW the chip in the original E9 (and I assume is still used in the updated versions) is the same Philips chip found on older Philips and Marantz CDPs and amps. I had the CD60 before and even liked it over the Little Dot MkII, and that was just a tiny circuit on a CDP with tiny power caps (and it was using the same PSU powering the whole CDP), whereas the E9 is an amp with its own PSU and power capacitors.

If you didn't have any amp now I'd say go for the Asgard; but since you already have the E09K I say stick with it until you need to get something that can deliver a lot more power at much lower THD for a headphone that needs that much more.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #10,029 of 23,482

The E09K isn't a bad amp; sure, a lot of Class A amps near its price range might measure with lower THDs at high output, but at sane listening levels it could be difficult to pick out the difference. I can tell between it and the Asgard for example but that's mostly in slightly tighter low frequency notes from the Schiit.

BTW the chip in the original E9 (and I assume is still used in the updated versions) is the same Philips chip found on older Philips and Marantz CDPs and amps. I had the CD60 before and even liked it over the Little Dot MkII, and that was just a tiny circuit on a CDP with tiny power caps (and it was using the same PSU powering the whole CDP), whereas the E9 is an amp with its own PSU and power capacitors.

If you didn't have any amp now I'd say go for the Asgard; but since you already have the E09K I say stick with it until you need to get something that can deliver a lot more power at much lower THD for a headphone that needs that much more.

Actually, the story goes like this. I have a friend who has the Dragonfly. I briefly demoed the Dragonfly and found it to be more resolving and had better imaging. Now, he offered me a trade. My Fiio combo for the Dragonfly. I certainly liked the Dragonfly's DAC, but am not sure of the amp section on that thing.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #10,030 of 23,482
  Actually, the story goes like this. I have a friend who has the Dragonfly. I briefly demoed the Dragonfly and found it to be more resolving and had better imaging. Now, he offered me a trade. My Fiio combo for the Dragonfly. I certainly liked the Dragonfly's DAC, but am not sure of the amp section on that thing.

Did you try the Dragonfly with your HD600? In any case if you're going to get a new amp might as well get something that's a lot better than the E09K, like the Asgard or maybe even just the Magni2 Uber (at least this one's for a lot less money). Other alternatives are the Corda Rock and Jazz.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #10,031 of 23,482
I got the HD 650 recently and have been comparing them to the HD 600. After auditioning a friends HD 650, I decided to get a pair as I liked what I heard and found the two more different than I was expecting. Many seem to say they sound very similar, but im not really finding it the case. Their tuning is fairly similar but they don't seem to be all that alike otherwise, definitely different drivers in the two headphones.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #10,032 of 23,482
I got the HD 650 recently and have been comparing them to the HD 600. After auditioning a friends HD 650, I decided to get a pair as I liked what I heard and found the two more different than I was expecting. Many seem to say they sound very similar, but im not really finding it the case. Their tuning is fairly similar but they don't seem to be all that alike otherwise, definitely different drivers in the two headphones.

Did you swap the earpads?

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #10,034 of 23,482
No amount of convincing can change what your ears tell ya, glad you have a set you enjoy! :D

That seems to be the thing with the HD650/600. There are people on either side of the fence. Some prefer one, some the other. Some say they're pretty close, some say the differences are more significant. No one's wrong, the point is to get what will let you enjoy your experience the most. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #10,035 of 23,482
  No amount of convincing can change what your ears tell ya, glad you have a set you enjoy! :D

That seems to be the thing with the HD650/600. There are people on either side of the fence. Some prefer one, some the other. Some say they're pretty close, some say the differences are more significant. No one's wrong, the point is to get what will let you enjoy your experience the most. 

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back