Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #8,597 of 23,482
Damn if I wasn't saving for a trip to Peru I'd be all over that. I currently own the DT880 and Alpha Dog both are excellent however I have heard the HD600 as well and it is a fantastic headphone when paired with the BH crack and Schiit Uberfrost. You won't have a problem finding someone to pick off that HD600.

Yeah they were gone pretty quick

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #8,599 of 23,482
  I recently ordered these. Do they need a good DAC/amp to shine, or will the standard audio drivers do fine? I could drop $40 on an asus soundcard if it's that stellar of an improvement.

Doubt a $40 soundcard is gonna make a difference, unless your computer motherboard audio is really old.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #8,600 of 23,482
  I recently ordered these. Do they need a good DAC/amp to shine, or will the standard audio drivers do fine? I could drop $40 on an asus soundcard if it's that stellar of an improvement.

Just use the search function on this thread. It has over 500 pages of information. I wouldn't use a motherboard sound-card on a pair of revealing 300 ohm headphones.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #8,604 of 23,482

Also nowhere near as comfortable as the HD600. I did not like the mids on the HE400 at all.

Yup! 440 grams vs 260 grams

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #8,605 of 23,482
I am using Grado SR60 as my daily headphone before my HD600 purchase. When I listened to HD600 I was not immediately wowed. The sound is just like my Grado SR60 with lesser forward vocals. What significant difference I observed was the resolution, more details on the HD600 especially on soundtracks that have complex musical instruments. The sound is not as exciting as the Grado SR60. I am interested on its sound as the number of hours added to the headphone. I believe in sound change because I have experienced that before with Grado SR60. First days were very rough sound, months passed sound refined. This will happen too with HD600. First impressions with HD600: sound is very rough. At this point in time, old Grado SR60 is still the winner. More impressions to come.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #8,606 of 23,482
  I am using Grado SR60 as my daily headphone before my HD600 purchase. When I listened to HD600 I was not immediately wowed. The sound is just like my Grado SR60 with lesser forward vocals. What significant difference I observed was the resolution, more details on the HD600 especially on soundtracks that have complex musical instruments. The sound is not as exciting as the Grado SR60. I am interested on its sound as the number of hours added to the headphone. I believe in sound change because I have experienced that before with Grado SR60. First days were very rough sound, months passed sound refined. This will happen too with HD600. First impressions with HD600: sound is very rough. At this point in time, old Grado SR60 is still the winner. More impressions to come.

Here's you problem - rapidly switching between the headphones without giving your brain a chance to get used to the HD600's sonic traits.  Try this - use the HD600 and only the HD600 for around 3-4 days.  Then switch to your SR60.  Guarantee your impressions will be different.

In case your sceptical - I one owned the HD600 and SR325i at the same time 
wink.gif
.  The contrast was interesting.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #8,607 of 23,482

Here's you problem - rapidly switching between the headphones without giving your brain a chance to get used to the HD600's sonic traits. 

Thanks for the comment Broko. Yes, it was just an initial impression since the last use of my Grado SR60. I have 5- year continuous use of Grado SR60 so Grado sound will still be in my brain. Now that I kept my Grado SR60, I will be using HD600 on a daily basis so that its unique sound will gradually implanted on my brain, slowly deleting the exciting sound of Grado. I am excited for the coming days, weeks, months and years of this HD600. I am saying goodbye TEMPORARILY with Grado SR60.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #8,608 of 23,482
When I had my HD600 and SR325i, I really enjoyed both - it just depended on my mood, and what type of music I was listening to.  But to really appreciate the HD600 you do need to give them some solitary head time.  The worst thing you can do with a new headphone (IMO) is keep going back and forth comparing with headphones that you've had for months/years.  You need to get to know a headphone first - then A/B comparisons can have more meaning.

Will be interested to hear how the HD600s go - they are a 'special' headphone.  I've owned a pair twice now (and sold twice), and just caved in again recently.  Third one should be her this week.  This time I think I should keep it 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #8,609 of 23,482
I just sold it and I miss it already lol

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #8,610 of 23,482
  ..... they are a 'special' headphone.  I've owned a pair twice now (and sold twice), and just caved in again recently.  Third one should be her this week.  This time I think I should keep it 
wink.gif

Exactly the same for me. It's the third time now that I have a pair and am still of opinion that they're a bit too (mid?)bassy and lacking a bit in sparkle up top. The remedy for that is simply HD-540. That's the life partner, who you know well and can rely on. The HD-600 is like any other attractive female out there, adventurous, sweet, addictive. All that jazz :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back