Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #8,401 of 23,482
  They sound just great, my laptop volume was set to 80% and for the Icon Dac around 11-12 o-clock knob position.
more than 12 o-clock the volume is already too much, i think the Icon Dac has enough power for the HD 600.

Why not set the laptop to 100% then use the Icon DAC's volume control as a master control? You'd use it at lower than 11:00, which can mean less distortion - whether there's audible at that point already anyway means you might not really notice it, but then that's still the proper setting anyway. The only reason to want the amp's volume control higher (aside from more dB's) is if the potentiometer is so badly designed that even at 10:00 it has audible channel imbalance.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #8,402 of 23,482

Why not set the laptop to 100% then use the Icon DAC's volume control as a master control? You'd use it at lower than 11:00, which can mean less distortion - whether there's audible at that point already anyway means you might not really notice it, but then that's still the proper setting anyway. The only reason to want the amp's volume control higher (aside from more dB's) is if the potentiometer is so badly designed that even at 10:00 it has audible channel imbalance.

Before when i have some issue with my old udac, i went around the forum and saw someone's post about
turning down the volume from the PC and it fixed my dac's issue. :) so now i just keep my laptop's volume @ 80%.
I already tried 100% volume from laptop to my Icon Dac and there is NO issue, but i just want to keep it that way..
11-12 o-clock is just around 50% of the max volume so i think there should be no issue.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #8,403 of 23,482

Before when i have some issue with my old udac, i went around the forum and saw someone's post about
turning down the volume from the PC and it fixed my dac's issue. :) so now i just keep my laptop's volume @ 80%.
I already tried 100% volume from laptop to my Icon Dac and there is NO issue, but i just want to keep it that way..
11-12 o-clock is just around 50% of the max volume so i think there should be no issue.

Lowering the volume on the computer OS drops the bits, so if you're using 16bit audio, then you'll drop below that (although 14bits is still good). In any case the reason why that was necessary for the UDAC was because it had a severe channel imbalance, among other issues that if I discuss here will just get deleted.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #8,404 of 23,482
System volume control should always be at 100% for digital outputs, unless you want to lose some bits. If you really want to control volume from your source, do it with a high quality software like Foobar2000.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #8,405 of 23,482
Thanks! noted with that guys!
beerchug.gif
anyhow i have no issue with my Icon Dac when using 100% volume on my laptop.
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #8,406 of 23,482
I'm currently using an amp/dac combo (Aune Mini USB DAC MK2). It has enough juice to power the HD 600. While searching a upgrade most people recommend a tube amp like Bottlehead Crack. Now I was wondering if there low budget alternative. I'm thinking of Bravo Audio V1/V2, Dragonfly or something similar. Does someone have experiances with budget amps for the HD 600?

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #8,407 of 23,482
Hey guys, I want to get a amp for my desktop to power the output of my Titanium HD. I was planning on getting an O2 amp to begin with but I don't know which gain setting would be the right one for my setup. I also want to use my RE-272's (20Ohm,103dB) on them so the 2,5/6,5x gain is not an option but then I get to choose between 1/2,5x and 1/3,5x gain. Which one should I get, I've searched but I can't find a definitive answer.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #8,408 of 23,482
  Hey guys, I want to get a amp for my desktop to power the output of my Titanium HD. I was planning on getting an O2 amp to begin with but I don't know which gain setting would be the right one for my setup. I also want to use my RE-272's (20Ohm,103dB) on them so the 2,5/6,5x gain is not an option but then I get to choose between 1/2,5x and 1/3,5x gain. Which one should I get, I've searched but I can't find a definitive answer.

Wrong thread.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #8,410 of 23,482
I'm currently using an amp/dac combo (Aune Mini USB DAC MK2). It has enough juice to power the HD 600. While searching a upgrade most people recommend a tube amp like Bottlehead Crack. Now I was wondering if there low budget alternative. I'm thinking of Bravo Audio V1/V2, Dragonfly or something similar. Does someone have experiances with budget amps for the HD 600?

When I still own Aune T1, T1 > Bravo Ocean > HD600 is better than Aune T1> HD600.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #8,411 of 23,482

The Bravo amps have issues with build quality and noise.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,412 of 23,482
Took a few months stroll on the dark side (read: speakers) however a recent move has prevented me from using my speakers as often.  When I pulled out the 600s I expected to be let down.  My speaker setup had provided the best sound I've ever had under my roof, yet the 600s have continued to show they are no slouch.  They make the music involving and lifelike :) couldn't imagine having any other headphone.
L3000.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #8,413 of 23,482
If you are only going to have one headphone I don't think that you can do better than thè 600's. I did love the bass on a pair of Denon 7000's I heard at a meet though.
Talking of meets. I would love to attend another one. Nadeem did a fantastic job of the last couple of London meets. I for one would happily pay for him to organise another.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #8,414 of 23,482
Any cable suggestions for HD-600, the original came in the box is way too thin and mess that got tangled all the time.

Hi guys, I've had my HD600 for a while now, considering changing the stock cable.
Its not so much for better sound, just that the stock cable is really too long to run from my dac that's right in front of me.
Do you guys have any suggestions? I don't wanna spend too much on a cable though.

Another vote for the stock HD650 cable here. They sound identical, but the HD650 cable is much thicker. I've ran over it with my office chair at work several times and it's still good as new. And pretty cheap compared to most aftermarket cables, though you don't get the supposed improvement in sound quality.

Is there any IEM that is on par with HD600 but with lower price? Maybe within $100-150? Plan to let go my Amperior because I prefer Shure SE 215 when I'm traveling due to it's size.

On par with lower price is unlikely. There are IEMs with similar sound signature but overall the HD600 are on another level. In fact I've yet to hear another headphone or IEM of any size that's as good as the HD600 for a lower price. Plus, I find that generally for the same level of technical ability IEMs cost more than headphones. That being said, I have a pair of Nuforce Primo 8 ($499) on the way, which I'm hoping will match or best the HD600.

So I am going to be finding out how the Matrix M-Stage sounds with the HD600s and the DT880s. I hope it is a good pairing for the HD600s more than anything, because I hear it sounds fantastic with the AKG q701, K7** series. Only time and testing will tell which will be this friday.  This is not the newer HPA2 edition this is the 2012 updated version. I will report back with findings with synergy or if I would suggest otherwise. I mean I know both headphones sound superb with the Fournier HTA-2. Worse comes to worse, I sell the amp and pick an O2 or asgard 2.

Q701 is a bit dry in the mids, and the M-Stage is very slightly warm, which is a good match. However the HD600 is also a good match even though it too is slightly warm. The M-Stage, especially with the LM4562, really packs a punch. The only reason I sold the M-Stage was because I got a DAC that sounded identical to the M-Stage with stock op amp. I do miss the added dynamics of the LM4562 but the difference is not big enough to warrant the additional cost of having two amps.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #8,415 of 23,482
Regarding an IEM that is cheaper and in my opinion better than the HD600 is would be the RE-272's from Hifiman. They are simply amazing for the price of $250,- they used to be. With better I would say, better seperation, better high extension without being harsh, more controlled bass and sub bass. The mids would be equal with both being very very natural to my ears. Things the HD600 does better would be a little bigger soundstage and comfort ofcourse. The RE-272 has been an underdog for a long time, if you can get one second hand you should give it a try. They compare well and also compliment each other well, the RE-272 is a bit more revealing and the HD600 a bit more relaxed. This is all my opinion so yours may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back