Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #8,371 of 23,458
I could not leave for holiday without my HD600 (and Schiit Vali). So I bought a nice case for them. :) IE80 was great substitute on the plane, but listening to HD600 after 3 days break is a bliss. Especially after a few beers. :)

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #8,372 of 23,458
  I could not leave for holiday without my HD600 (and Schiit Vali). So I bought a nice case for them. :) IE80 was great substitute on the plane, but listening to HD600 after 3 days break is a bliss. Especially after a few beers. :)

I had the Vali and have the HD600s, and they do sound very good together, I ended up selling the Vali preferring the Fournier HTA-2 hybrid with the HD600s. Sounds so good in the morning when I am trying to wake with my Man of Steel soundtrack from Hans zimmer

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #8,373 of 23,458
  I had the Vali and have the HD600s, and they do sound very good together, I ended up selling the Vali preferring the Fournier HTA-2 hybrid with the HD600s. Sounds so good in the morning when I am trying to wake with my Man of Steel soundtrack from Hans zimmer

How would you describe the difference in sound of the two amps?

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #8,374 of 23,458
  How would you describe the difference in sound of the two amps?

The fournier being a hybrid with tubes you can roll you would think would sound more warm, but I believe has a pretty solid state feel in the sense of detail retrieval, and a relatively neutral tone. Now it does sound completely different from other solid states, being that it is  a hybrid it may be the most enjoyable amp I have listened to, where everything played through takes a life like quality of presentation. The sound stage is not very wide but very deep and does have a real feel when I am listening to Hans Zimmer and other music, which ranges from coheed to radiohead to mars volta to emiliana torrini etc. I think the Vali has a bit more warmth and less detail than the HTA-2 but the HTA never sounds analytical or sterile because of the slight warmth and the lush body in the mids the smoothness of the treble and finally the detail between the separation and staging. I loved my vali but it did not give me a wow effect like the Fournier. AS you could probably tell I love this amp. It excels with both DT series and HD series of headphones which is a nice feat.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #8,375 of 23,458
  And came with nice price too. But too bad not available at my country. Anyway, is this a Japan brand?

Comparable? Wow, that's great! I like how GR07 design and size. It's small and looks comfortable and got a very good feedback. Plus, I can get this unit locally...

Sorry D I did not see this until now, and it is a Japanese brand, but they do have them on ebay from different sellers, and other headfiers where do you live. I heard that the GR07 is a very good phone if at times a bit bright and or sharp. The Tenore I have been using two days straight, honestly it is the quality of a full size with a smaller price tag and packaging. To the point where I too a break from the HD600s(granted that I will always go back but/...still impressive) Let me know where you live in a pm I would try to help you get one if the customs are not killer.

EDIT: this is only if you want, and the GR07 is not necessarily for you, I have heard good things about this everywhere I look though so it would be easier for you to grab that and locally, the Tenore is just an option where I would ship you one if you wanted to buy it. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #8,376 of 23,458
For years I've been reading about how well the HD-600 and 650 scale.  I use my 600's with a bottlehead crack with the speedball the past couple years (before that I had a 650), and an odac as source.  It sounds great, there is magic in this amp and headphone pairing. I've listened to at least a couple dozen other amps at meets.  So far, my chain was always at least as good, or preferred. This past weekend I was able to audition the Oppo HA-1, so in anticipation of this opportunity, I ordered the 4 pin XLR re-terminated HD-650 cable from Headroom.  I already use a 650 cable on my 600 (always have).  The HA-1 is a wonderful amp - and the term "whole other level" came into play via the balanced connection.  My 600's were like a different headphone, extended highs, powerful bass, smooth across the board, and detailed..  I just kept saying "wow!".  I'm looking at getting an HA-1 to pair with the 600, and I'm not sure if I'll hang on to the Crack or not.  The "sweat equity" I've got in that may keep me from selling, plus, the signature is so different it's like having two headphones in one with Crack vs. HA-1 w/HD-600.  I can say, these HD-600's are just an amazing headphone. Scale indeed! Wow!

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #8,377 of 23,458
Just want to say I like your post. I had a similar experience this weekend at the head-fi meet. I listened to a pair of hd-650s connected balanced to a Sennheiser HDVA-600 amp. Also connected (single-ended, regular 1/4" cable) to the same amp was a pair of 600s. The 600s sounded like I'm used to them sounding, But the 650s really surprised me.

I had bought a pair a few months ago, but I thought they were too dark and exchanged them for the 600s, which I really like. But through this $1500 amp the difference in the treble was negligible -- there was clarity in the 650s I hadn't heard before, and the low end was rich and full compared to the 600s... The 650s were a different headphone. I left frustrated and now I'm asking myself how nuts it would be to chase this.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #8,378 of 23,458
Bingo!  That's how I would describe them, and relate them to the bigger/better/everything HD600, too.  

From one who enjoyed the PX-100 for many years (PX-100, PMX-100 & PX-100 II ), my step-up was the Senn HD239. IMO, a more "mature" big brother of the PX 100. I still use the 239 for portable use. Though the 239 did whet
my appetite that I now own and enjoy my pair of HD600 :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #8,379 of 23,458
The Matrix M-stage that I am using with teh HD600s for everyday listening. Bringing out the Fournier with the 57 RCA tubes for when I want an amazingly lifelike and clean presentation. I ordered a new opamp and it was supposedly from an american source but now it coming from Chinca, which I am disappointed to say the least. So, I tried out the relatively inexpensive NE5532 while I have to wait for the LM4562 and the LME49990x2 come. It was very surprising that is sounded much less dark, more engaging keeping the detail, get a sound that I generally prefer to the opa2134. It definitely sounds more engaging with the hd600s, and the Hd600 keep the retrieval of details with the NE5532. 

I amn surprised on how well it sounds, I must say it makes it very easy to keep the M--stage for use with the HD600s.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #8,380 of 23,458
Hi guys, I've had my HD600 for a while now, considering changing the stock cable.
Its not so much for better sound, just that the stock cable is really too long to run from my dac that's right in front of me.
Do you guys have any suggestions? I don't wanna spend too much on a cable though.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #8,382 of 23,458
  Hi guys, I've had my HD600 for a while now, considering changing the stock cable.
Its not so much for better sound, just that the stock cable is really too long to run from my dac that's right in front of me.
Do you guys have any suggestions? I don't wanna spend too much on a cable though.

Sent you  a pm, let me know if you are interested

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #8,384 of 23,458
Simplest solution for dealing with excessive cables are small tie-wraps! Available in any hardware store. Loop 'em and wrap 'em! I've used them for years in my audio, video, and computer rigs. I've always been obsessive about cable 'spaghetti' mess, hate it! Tie-wraps keep everything tight and neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back