Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #7,801 of 23,456
Yes, I bought a very cheap used pair on which I had to re-pad the headband padding with some spare foam but I don't want to use this material to re-stuff the bad since it might change the sound so I'm wondering if anyboday has any experience with these cheaper pads.

May 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #7,802 of 23,456
Yes, I bought a very cheap used pair on which I had to re-pad the headband padding with some spare foam but I don't want to use this material to re-stuff the bad since it might change the sound so I'm wondering if anyboday has any experience with these cheaper pads.

I bought them 2 months ago and they have just sat in the drawer. AFTER I got a full refund. The material is scratchy and the opening is a lot smaller than the stock pads. I do not recommend them.

May 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #7,803 of 23,456
Just get OEM from Sennheiser. You don't replace them every year... 

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #7,805 of 23,456
Received my HD600's on Friday and had a few hours of listening time. Really enjoying them, they have more bass than I was expecting regardless of the roll off in the sub bass. They pair well with the glacier which drives them pretty well. I would say I am another happy owner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #7,807 of 23,456
Im thinking of getting these. I have the fiio e12.
1. Will that work for them well?
2. Will boosting the sub-bass with an eq (like rockbox) result in denon d2000 like slamming bass (very tight and slammy)?
3. How clear is the midrange, is it as clear, transparent, and detailed as the hp50 or ath-ad900 or m50x or fidelio x1?
4. How wide is the soundstage? Is it as wide as the fidelio x1 or ath-ad900?

For reference, I heard the d2000, fidelio x1, ath-m50x, and ath-ad900.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #7,808 of 23,456
  Im thinking of getting these. I have the fiio e12.
1. Will that work for them well?
2. Will boosting the sub-bass with an eq (like rockbox) result in denon d2000 like slamming bass (very tight and slammy)?
3. How clear is the midrange, is it as clear, transparent, and detailed as the hp50 or ath-ad900 or m50x or fidelio x1?
4. How wide is the soundstage? Is it as wide as the fidelio x1 or ath-ad900?

For reference, I heard the d2000, fidelio x1, ath-m50x, and ath-ad900.

1) It should be fine, but I wouldn't power full-size high impedance cans with a portable amp, but that's just me...

2) For better bass, I'd rather take HD650. The bass is not SLAMMING, though. It's just very good and controlled.
I don't have any issues with electronic music on these, but they're not really designed for that, just have it in mind. There are better cans out there for thumping your eadrums out.
But Senn is no slouch either.

3) Midrange is great in either HD600/650. I find HD650 a bit cleaner sounding overall, and more relaxed on the treble, leading to less fatigue.

4) I haven't heard any of those, but I'm satisfied with a soundstage on my HD650. It's not speaker-wide, but pretty accurate for the headphones.

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #7,809 of 23,456
My Fiio E12 drives my HD 600 just fine. But it doesn't bring out the best in these headphones like a good tube amplifier would. My Schiit Vali makes my HD 600's sing, it takes them to a much higher level, way more than the E12.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #7,810 of 23,456
My Fiio E12 drives my HD 600 just fine. But it doesn't bring out the best in these headphones like a good tube amplifier would. My Schiit Vali makes my HD 600's sing, it takes them to a much higher level, way more than the E12.

I recommend getting an A/B switch and comparing the E12 and Vali set to equal loudness driving the HD600's. Flip the switch and you will not hear a difference. Been there done that.
If the volume is not equal the louder amp will sound better, that's because of the way we perceive sound. The distortion levels of either amp are below what a human can perceive and the FR is flat on both amps. Auditory memory for comparing small differences is very short, to really compare one has to do the A/B switch, otherwise it's just conjecture. A lot of folks have all sorts of opinions, that's fine with me. but it's better when it's backed up with a real comparison. Comparing audio is a difficult thing and IMO we are the weak link in the proccess so we should do a direct comparison. Repeating what one reads is something that happens all too often. I really recommend gettting an A/B switch, the experience is eye opening, or should I say ear opening.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #7,813 of 23,456
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a HD 600, it's my first 'real' set of headphones and I'm wondering what kind of dac/amp I should get with it.
I'm looking to spend around 150euros(around 200dollar). 
I will be using this mainly for my computer, but occasionally I would like to use it to watch a movie on my TV and here's the kicker:
my TV only supports TOSlink output. 
Would it be worth getting something that can also handle this kind of input, or would I be better off getting an TOSlink convertor?

Thanks,
aRoses

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #7,814 of 23,456
  Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a HD 600, it's my first 'real' set of headphones and I'm wondering what kind of dac/amp I should get with it.
I'm looking to spend around 150euros(around 200dollar). 
I will be using this mainly for my computer, but occasionally I would like to use it to watch a movie on my TV and here's the kicker:
my TV only supports TOSlink output. 
Would it be worth getting something that can also handle this kind of input, or would I be better off getting an TOSlink convertor?

Thanks,
aRoses

You will probaly need to send more than that to get something decent that does TOS and USB, Great choice for a new set of headphones, enjoy the sound and start saving as you have just taken the first step in a long wallet busting journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back