Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #7,010 of 23,721
Has anyone hardwired a cable to their HD600?

I have a pair I bought around 10 years ago that has seen regular use and one of the retention springs that holds the cable pins in the left side must be failing, an issue Tyll mentioned somewhere. Swapping out various cables does not solve the issue; the sound cuts in and out when I wiggle the cable.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #7,011 of 23,721
Got my a pair these today. I had a few cheap senns in the past and always thought they're ok but terribly boring compared to my Grados. I think because of this, and perhaps my vsonic iems,  I always associated "balanced" with boring and thought I just like coloured cans.

I could not have been more wrong. The 600s are fantastic. I didn't think it was possible, but they managed to be wonderfully detailed and very smooth and lush at the same time. They're not boring that's for sure, but I wouldn't call them exciting either. "Exciting" seems like a childish thing to want in a can now. **WARNING: BIZARRE ANALOGY INCOMING** Sure, lying down in quiet room is boring compared to running around having fun. The 600s are like lying down quietly except you're in a big warm bed and you just realised its not Friday at all, its Saturday and you turn over and dose away with a big smile on your face.

A bit bummed I put up with the discomfort of Grado 325s for so long. Im going to sell them as soon as I can, I'll keep the sr60s for nostalgic reasons. I was going to say I'll keep the M50s but I struggled to come up with a reason to. 

I should've bought them years ago. Why did I get that stupid balanced is boring idea in my head. Ughh.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #7,012 of 23,721
  Has anyone hardwired a cable to their HD600?

I have a pair I bought around 10 years ago that has seen regular use and one of the retention springs that holds the cable pins in the left side must be failing, an issue Tyll mentioned somewhere. Swapping out various cables does not solve the issue; the sound cuts in and out when I wiggle the cable.

I tried... no dice the TINY lead wires are impossible to solder.

I think in your case all you have to do is re-bend the spring coils back to their original position.  I did that once years ago with my 580.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #7,014 of 23,721
Thanks.. Word of caution, the wires are VERY easy to break.  Be careful and take your time removing the lollipop driver housing.  Also keep metal objects away from the drivers once they are removed.  The magnets are small but powerful enough to attract paper clips, staples, tweezers...etc.  The very tool you use to re-bend the springs could jump across the table and crush the driver diaphragm.  I use a wood/bamboo BBQ skewer, whittle it down to a flattened point with my knife... like a small screwdriver.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #7,015 of 23,721
I had these on last night watching some TV at the pc . Forgot I had them on at some stage, there was a louder than usual event in the show I was watching. I got startled and thought i was watching via speakers and had the sound too loud and wake the kids. Very very surreal moment that was. At that moment I also thought these cans were wow

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #7,016 of 23,721
Sorry for offtopic.. but for all Pink Floyd lovers over here... (I know there are plenty) if you ever happen to see those guys in your town - GO FOR IT!

They're touring US right now...

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,017 of 23,721
The 600s love Floyd!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #7,018 of 23,721
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #7,019 of 23,721
  Thanks.. Word of caution, the wires are VERY easy to break.  Be careful and take your time removing the lollipop driver housing.  Also keep metal objects away from the drivers once they are removed.  The magnets are small but powerful enough to attract paper clips, staples, tweezers...etc.  The very tool you use to re-bend the springs could jump across the table and crush the driver diaphragm.  I use a wood/bamboo BBQ skewer, whittle it down to a flattened point with my knife... like a small screwdriver.

How is the voice coil connected to the spring?

Does the spring basically straighten out which is what causes the intermittent connection with the cable pin? By re-bend, I take it you mean to try to put it to back to its original spring shape?

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7,020 of 23,721
ideal headphones for home listening even if you dont have strong source/amplifier but i couldnt wear them outside and headphones which cant be used anywhere loose meaning to me. i rather pay extra money for audio technica expensive portables... its like wearing jewel on your ears compared to these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back