Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #6,979 of 23,458

(never saw or heard the Orpheus)

I expected The Orpheus to sound like angels farting into my ears but I guess technology has moved on.

LOL !!!!
beyersmile.png

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #6,981 of 23,458
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

You would be surprised. It measures very well. ^ + spotify premium is 320kps so I think you will be getting quality indistinguishable from some higher quality lossless source.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #6,984 of 23,458
O2/ODAC is just an ESS9023 amped fyi. here's a website listing pretty much every dac along with their chip http://www.alldacinfo.com/?page_id=242

Unfortunately I am a tech ignoramus so don't quite get the significance of what you are saying. I know that the O2 is pretty stripped down. My only criteria is whether I like what I hear. For £80 it has to be worth a punt. In fact Epiphany give a two week return offer.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #6,985 of 23,458
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

You would be surprised. It measures very well. ^ + spotify premium is 320kps so I think you will be getting quality indistinguishable from some higher quality lossless source.

Yes I've been told that the iPhone measures well. Live in hope!
I have read what KR has to say. Very interesting guy. Slightly worryingly he is also a Ufologist!

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #6,987 of 23,458
Do you have an HD800? Can you do a comparison?

I will keep it brief . Basically the Hd800 is better across the frequency range in every aspect . It has tighter bass and it has more impact but I find it's quickness seems to make it feel as if it has slightly less bass volume than the 600s . This could also be because the hd800s treble is slightly more forward, the hd800s treble is more detailed and hi hats sound extremely clean and lifelike for example but it can be to much of a good thing at times. I actually think the hd600s treble roll off and quantity is better but it isn't as accurate or 'real' sounding. The hd600 midrange is slightly more forward and seems to have a slight emphasis in the upper mids . I actually prefer the hd600 midrange. For my taste the hd600 is the better sounding headphone overall but it's bass and treble when critically assessed falls short of the hd800. I'm amazed at the 600s soundstage , it's the only other headphone other than the hd800 that I've heard that has such a good soundstage. It's not far off the hd800 to be honest , I can pick out the location of higher frequencies better on hd800 but I find the distance and placement relative to the rest of the instruments and frequencies better on the 600s . If I could have the sound sig (frequency curve) of the 600s with the engineering of the 800s (and it's quality of treble and bass) I can't imagine any other headphone being required . For now I honestly think I've found my end game all round headphone with the hd600. (Until the hd850 comes out :wink: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back