Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,286 of 23,438

I have the HD580s, with the HD600 grilles and HD650 cable, so they are essentially the HD600s. The Magni works fine for me. Be advised that I don't believe in amp or cable sound so long as both products are competent designs, correctly executed and not conceived to sound different.

Tim

Good to hear! That means I don't have to get more expensive equipment. 

Gonna start saving now.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,287 of 23,438

Good to hear! That means I don't have to get more expensive equipment. 

Gonna start saving now.

That kind of thinking is gonna start a new global recession. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #6,289 of 23,438
  So you don't believe that a USB cable can improve the soundstage or treble or bass....? 
biggrin.gif

A balanced USB will improve channel separation, but only if your ears and components are good (expensive) enough to discern the difference! 
biggrin.gif

Only if one parboils their ears. 
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #6,292 of 23,438
I'm still wondering how Asgard or Valhalla would fare against hybrid X-CAN V3 amp with pair of Russian tubes... Would that be worth an upgrade? And then I'm also struggling to decide between Asgard and Valhalla for my HD-600. Spec-wise Asgard looks better and I don't really believe the good design (either SS, valve or hybrid) would give any "tube-like" sound coloration...

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #6,293 of 23,438
  I'm still wondering how Asgard or Valhalla would fare against hybrid X-CAN V3 amp with pair of Russian tubes... Would that be worth an upgrade? And then I'm also struggling to decide between Asgard and Valhalla for my HD-600. Spec-wise Asgard looks better and I don't really believe the good design (either SS, valve or hybrid) would give any "tube-like" sound coloration...

I can say that the Asgard 2 sounds great with my HD600's as well as HE-500's. If you like tubes because they get warm 
biggrin.gif
 The Asgard 2 is a Class A SS Amp and it does get nice and warm. They took a lot of care with that design as it's discrete (No Opamps) and in high gain no closed loop feedback, very little in low gain. So its low distortion is due to careful design work. It's as quiet as a mouse as far as noise and can be plenty loud when playing music.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #6,294 of 23,438
  I can say that the Asgard 2 sounds great with my HD600's as well as HE-500's. If you like tubes because they get warm 
biggrin.gif
 The Asgard 2 is a Class A SS Amp and it does get nice and warm. They took a lot of care with that design as it's discrete (No Opamps) and in high gain no closed loop feedback, very little in low gain. So its low distortion is due to careful design work. It's as quiet as a mouse as far as noise and can be plenty loud when playing music.

Do you think Musical Fidelity V-DAC II source would match Asgard well, or should I consider upgrading to something like Bifrost... from what I know, V-DAC is very capable itself, though..

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6,295 of 23,438
I just don't want to race into diminishing returns. At the same time I have that "itch" in me... y'all probably familiar with. :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,296 of 23,438

Do you think Musical Fidelity V-DAC II source would match Asgard well, or should I consider upgrading to something like Bifrost... from what I know, V-DAC is very capable itself, though..

I just don't want to race into diminishing returns. At the same time I have that "itch" in me... y'all probably familiar with. :)

Can't really say about the  V-DAC II but I will say that there's been an outbreak of the "itch" on Head-FI that just won't go away. IMO, at one point one really can't tell the difference and going above 96K and 24 bit is just wishful thinking. Even 24 bit may not be of any practical value except with digital attenuation. But it may feel good getting the latest and greatest figamajig, even if one's ears don't give a rat's petard.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #6,297 of 23,438

X-CAN is a very good amp, especially with the X-PSU, less so with the wall wort.
I would not upgrade amp but would consider upgrading power supply.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #6,298 of 23,438

I have the V-DAC II and have used it with a variety of amps, including the A2.  It's a fine DAC and will serve you well.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6,299 of 23,438
  X-CAN is a very good amp, especially with the X-PSU, less so with the wall wort.
I would not upgrade amp but would consider upgrading power supply.

Unfortunately X-PSU still costs an arm and a leg (if you're able to find it) and I'm hesitant spending a ton of money on a decade old component.
Whole Asgard would cost what X-PSU is now being sold for.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #6,300 of 23,438

Unfortunately X-PSU still costs an arm and a leg (if you're able to find it) and I'm hesitant spending a ton of money on a decade old component.
Whole Asgard would cost what X-PSU is now being sold for.

Can you find a used one? Of course you risk that going bad sooner than a new one and having to get it repaired or going back to square one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back