Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #6,271 of 23,438
  I'm coming clean.  Don't roll your tube on the ground...I pulled that one right out of my ass...thought it was funny. 

But jeez imagine someone actually did that on my advice. 
ph34r.gif

You ass. I was definitely sceptical, but you seem to know what you're on about so I wasn't going to publicly doubt you.

LOL!!

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #6,272 of 23,438

You ass. I was definitely sceptical, but you seem to know what you're on about so I wasn't going to publicly doubt you.

LOL!!

Actually, the term "rolling" tubes refer to the conical rolling motion applied to the top of the tube to pull the pins out without risk of damage.  You'll understand if you decide to try tubes.

I gotta say, this thread has been the most fun thread I've engaged in at head-fi.

I've been posting recently because I've got lots of time on my hand after being sacked from job after ten years of loyal service.  After sustaining a back injury several years ago whilst over the bonnet of a SUV carrying a cylinder head repair.  They looked after me for the legally mandated length of time then sacked me soon after.  It's difficult, but head-fi is a great place to meet some great people and share our hobby.

I have given all that I have to this hobby, everything, trying to understand the technicalities of it all - even though I have no more money, I still wake up with a happy tune in my mind and the music keeps me as exuberant as ever.  I love nothing more than to share what I have learned with other fellow head-fiers.  Do I regret my decisions - no, not one bit.  I'd do it all over again if given the chance.

Here is to the best forum on the netz!

beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #6,273 of 23,438
Sorry to hear that buddy, what a bunch of crooks.. Maybe you should step into the audio business, you definitely know more than a thing or two, and can talk the talk!

Speaking of knowing things, and tubes, and... 

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #6,275 of 23,438
Actually, the term "rolling" tubes refer to the conical rolling motion applied to the top of the tube to pull the pins out without risk of damage.  You'll understand if you decide to try tubes.

I gotta say, this thread has been the most fun thread I've engaged in at head-fi.

I've been posting recently because I've got lots of time on my hand after being sacked from job after ten years of loyal service.  After sustaining a back injury several years ago whilst over the bonnet of a SUV carrying a cylinder head repair.  They looked after me for the legally mandated length of time then sacked me soon after.  It's difficult, but head-fi is a great place to meet some great people and share our hobby.

I have given all that I have to this hobby, everything, trying to understand the technicalities of it all - even though I have no more money, I still wake up with a happy tune in my mind and the music keeps me as exuberant as ever.  I love nothing more than to share what I have learned with other fellow head-fiers.  Do I regret my decisions - no, not one bit.  I'd do it all over again if given the chance.

Here is to the best forum on the netz!

:beerchug:  

You can't keep a good man down. Ya got me!:)

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #6,276 of 23,438

Back in the old days - people used to roll the vacuum tubes along the ground.  If the filament was still intact - it was a good tube.

I was gonna say something, then saw your post and went hmmm
confused_face_2.gif
 .. nvm I think I'm wrong 

And wow at the tubes' size, nothing like I've seen before....  amazed at how perfectly the person shaped the glass, I know it's not easy as I tried it once in my lab. More than 5 attempts and still couldn't make a perfect one 
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #6,278 of 23,438
How would a Magni and Modi work with these cans? I really love Sennheiser and I'm interested in taking the step up.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #6,279 of 23,438
  How would a Magni and Modi work with these cans? I really love Sennheiser and I'm interested in taking the step up.

Some folks say the Magni is little bright, however, I think that's the flash mob parroting something someone said. People that I trust their opinions say that it sounds very much like the Asgar 2, which I have. The Asgard 2 sounds great with the HD600's. I don't have a Modi but the consensus is that it's a great entry level DAC. Many people just love this stack. The HD600 is not that difficult to drive and has a nice neutral profile, IMO you would be very happy with that stack. The Magni has plenty of power and should have a good measure of futureproof to it should you acquire another set of low impedance cans that need a little kick.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #6,283 of 23,438
Feb 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #6,284 of 23,438

I have the HD580s, with the HD600 grilles and HD650 cable, so they are essentially the HD600s. The Magni works fine for me. Be advised that I don't believe in amp or cable sound so long as both products are competent designs, correctly executed and not conceived to sound different.

Tim

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #6,285 of 23,438

I have the HD580s, with the HD600 grilles and HD650 cable, so they are essentially the HD600s. The Magni works fine for me. Be advised that I don't believe in amp or cable sound so long as both products are competent designs, correctly executed and not conceived to sound different.

Tim

So you don't believe that a USB cable can improve the soundstage or treble or bass....? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back